Passer Ratings from Wild Card Weekend: Josh Allen is #1

BigBuff423

23 minutes ago, Magox said:

You would think that after listening to all the talking heads that Lamar had this phenomenal game and that Josh Allen almost cost the Bills their victory.

It almost seems as if the Bills are the underdogs here and that Josh is still not getting the level of respect he deserves.  If 90% of any of the starting QB's are playing for the Bills this game, they lose.   The reason why the Bills won was because of good situational and red zone defense but more than anything because of Josh Allen.  Not many other QB's can drive the team 96 yards in about 90 seconds right before the end of the half with great passing and running.   The TD pass to Diggs was elite.

This is exactly what Josh wants/needs. Keep sleeping- keep doubting. At most, people will say we are good, but not good enough. Give him that chip and watch him go to work.

This week they say Baltimore has too good a defense. Next week it’s against the defending super bowl winners (if they win like I expect) who beat us once already, and after that it’s against one of the greatest ever to play the game (if Green Bay wins also like I expect).

Nobody will take us as the favorites here. Nobody will be certain he can do it. Nobody - except this team and these fans. He’s gonna throw bombs all over the place, he’s going to fight for every yard he can take, he’s going to earn their respect, and they are going to FEAR him. 

Bills by a Billion. Bring out the best so we can bring out ours. 

Edited by KingBoots8
  • Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

keeping myself in check because Lamar is the "topic of conversation" all week - his "comeback win" against the titans....how the bills cant run the ball...blah blah blah...

there are some Bills fans on this board who it appears to be big Lamar fans, for whatever reason. Boy are they going to have a dilemma on their hands on Saturday night.  

4 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

there are some Bills fans on this board who it appears to be big Lamar fans, for whatever reason. Boy are they going to have a dilemma on their hands on Saturday night.  

I respect him he can change a game, but I just feel we are ranked 2 and they are where they are for a reason - i feel we are better, period.

12 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I’m as dyed in the wool of a Bills fan as there is, but I can also fully appreciate what Jackson and other players do on the field as well. No dilemma at all from where I sit.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Allen vs Lamar, and some of it is recency bias with Allen playing Saturday and Lamar yesterday, but the nut hugging for Lamar in this match up is wild based on their respective performances this weekend.  

Lamar had a great running game, much of it coming off the electric 50 yard TD run.  Putting up 20 against a bad defense. 

Allen put up 300+ passing, with a 74% completion percentage, 2 TD’s throwing with 50+ rushing and 1 TD against a top tier defense.  

The story of the Baltimore game was their defense shutting down Henry, and therefore, the Titans, more than it was Lamar Jackson’s play. 

Allen vs Lamar hopefully will be a rivalry to last for years... but how will Lamar's game translate over the long haul.  How many years can he run like he does and if/when he slows down how effective will he be.  Josh is a passer, he can run but his run game is complimentary.  He could play for 10+ years--even if he loses some arm strength it should still be way above average. 

I much prefer Allen over Lamar.

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

The only magic I saw Saturday was the disappearing act the run D put on.

So a little off topic in this thread, but that's actually not quite true for the whole game.  As I pointed out elsewhere, we limited the Colts to 55 yds rushing in the first half - a half in which they held a 2:1 TOP advantage 19:41 to 10:19. 

Joe B has an Athletic article where he points out the run D went further than that: of the Colts 163 rush yards, 93 of them came on 6 plays in the 4th quarter.  For those who do mental arithmetic, that means the Colts had 15 yds rushing in the 3rd Q.  We allowed them 2.9 ypc in the first 3 quarters but then somehow loosened up in the 4th to allow 15.5 ypc. 

I'm sure that will be a focus of the postgame analysis for both the Ravens (!!!!) and for the Bills coaches.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So a little off topic in this thread, but that's actually not quite true for the whole game.  As I pointed out elsewhere, we limited the Colts to 55 yds rushing in the first half - a half in which they held a 2:1 TOP advantage 19:41 to 10:19. 

Joe B has an Athletic article where he points out the run D went further than that: of the Colts 163 rush yards, 93 of them came on 6 plays in the 4th quarter.  For those who do mental arithmetic, that means the Colts had 15 yds rushing in the 3rd Q.  We allowed them 2.9 ypc in the first 3 quarters but then somehow loosened up in the 4th to allow 15.5 ypc. 

I'm sure that will be a focus of the postgame analysis for both the Ravens (!!!!) and for the Bills coaches.

Right. The defense played well through the third quarter, particularly given the field position differential and time they spent on the field. That's why I felt the game was under control when the Bills went up 24-10 early in the fourth. I didn't at all anticipate the defensive drop off for that stretch in that 4th quarter. 

I am sure they will do all they can to ensure there is no repeat performance against the Ravens.

• Like (+1) 1

I wonder if it was just all the stress and anxiety I felt during this game, but I don't recall thinking during the game or right after that Josh Allen played as lights out as his stats indicated. It felt pretty routine Josh Allen out there, doing normal Josh Allen stuff.

Its bonkers that 300+ yards passing, 70+ completion %, a couple of passing TDs, 40-50 rushing and another rushing score feels like a mild day at the office for him.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm assuming they loosened-up the rush defense in the 4th figuring the Colts would be passing to make up the 14 point deficit with time running short.

Just now, buffaloboyinATL said:

And yet I just heard Christopher “mad dog” Russo talking about how awful he looked and how McDermott looked like a deer in the headlights. Go figure...

That dinosaur still around?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, wjag said:

Cleveland gave up 47 completions on 68 passes last night for 500 yards.  Me thinks Patrick Mahomes is smiling this morning..

The kind of stats possible when you get to start garbage time IN THE FIRST QUARTER. 🤣

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SECRET SQUIRREL said:

Is that true? If so, it totally explains his implosion the last 2 months. 

I dont know. It would explain alot though

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Huh?  He got divorced years ago and remarried soon after to Ciara.  He's expecting his 2nd child with her.

2020 has been a crazy year 

3 hours ago, teef said:

how can josh allen be ranked first?

we consistently read from you on this board how terrible josh allen is!   

congratulations to baker mayfield on being #2.

Is it me but Baker doesn’t seem to do well under pressure. He’s all well and good when running game is flowing and he has a clean pocket but I didn’t see much from him when he’s under duress.

3 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Baker's a pretty decent QB when the defense spots him 21 points from 3 turnovers.😄

Now can he carry a team without the head start?

That was pretty amazing.  Baker finished 21 of 34 for 263 yds, 3 TDs.  Played well, including a couple of key runs.

There was one point in the game - at the end of the first Q as I recall, where one of the announcers said in bemusement "it's hard to believe that the Browns are up 28 - 0 and Baker Mayfield has passed for less than 50 yards"

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That was pretty amazing.  Baker finished 21 of 34 for 263 yds, 3 TDs.  Played well, including a couple of key runs.

There was one point in the game - at the end of the first Q as I recall, where one of the announcers said in bemusement "it's hard to believe that the Browns are up 28 - 0 and Baker Mayfield has passed for less than 50 yards"

He did play well. No doubt the jumpstart the defense gave him did wonders for his confidence. He played with tremendous swag after that 1sr qtr.

Just now, billsbackto81 said:

He did play well. No doubt the jumpstart the defense gave him did wonders for his confidence. He played with tremendous swag after that 1sr qtr.

A 4 TD lead will do that for you.

2 hours ago, die hard bills fan said:

Allen vs Lamar hopefully will be a rivalry to last for years... but how will Lamar's game translate over the long haul.  How many years can he run like he does and if/when he slows down how effective will he be.  Josh is a passer, he can run but his run game is complimentary.  He could play for 10+ years--even if he loses some arm strength it should still be way above average. 

I much prefer Allen over Lamar.

I'm not offering to trade our QB to anyone for anything!  But both McDermott and Frazier stressed that the Ravens have added a lot to their offense this year. 

Part of that is, much as some folks here don't like to hear it, improved passing.  He had some struggles earlier in the season, 4 of his first 8 games were <60% completion and 3 of those 4 <55% completion.  But he seems to have worked on it and worked through it during the season and I respect that a lot; of the most recent 8 games, only 2 <60% and 1 right at 55%.  I could be off but to my eyes what he's gained during the season, is some improved ability to throw outside the hash marks particularly to the L.

I think it's possible that Lamar (and a number of QBs for that matter) will use the Josh Allen jump as motivation to work on their own throwing mechanics and see what they can accomplish in the off-season as well.

As far as Josh, what encourages me most is how he speaks about seeing what great care Stefon Diggs and others take of their bodies.  Perhaps he doesn't need to take it to a Brady-like extreme of having a "personal quack" or living on avocado ice cream and kale shakes, but IMHO what "did for" Big Ben vs. some of the "elder statesmen" at QB, Brady and Brees and Rodgers and even Rivers and Fitz, is that the latter have always, or have learned to, take super good care of their bodies and to really train and work on their conditioning and strength in the off-season.  Hopefully Josh heads down that path.

2 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Right. The defense played well through the third quarter, particularly given the field position differential and time they spent on the field. That's why I felt the game was under control when the Bills went up 24-10 early in the fourth. I didn't at all anticipate the defensive drop off for that stretch in that 4th quarter. 

I am sure they will do all they can to ensure there is no repeat performance against the Ravens.

Sounds like we struggled when they switched to their up tempo Offense for some reason.

17 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

IMO. Baker is fine .. and he is no longer making bad mistakes. He will not win you a game, but doesn't look like he will lose it for you either. Against Pittsburgh most of his passes were short with YAC and with the big lead, Pittsburgh assumed rightly the Browns would mainly run .. so when the Browns did pass it was easier.

For the first 8 games of the year Baker worked with Alex Van Pelt to eliminate mistakes while offense contracted on running. 

When Baker showed he could follow reduced playbook they expanded playbook.