I’ll be extremely disappointed if Allen doesn’t get brought up for MVP

47 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

The guy played lights out this season and proved a lot of doubters wrong about him. He broke both of Kelly and Bledsoe’s stats and He has everything we’ve wanted in a QB for so long. He’s a hell of a leader and his teammates and coaching staff love him. We found our franchise QB and I see a lot of amazing years ahead of us. It 

Go Bills!!!

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

MVP is the Most Valuable Player in the NFL. 

Josh Allen accounted for 84% of Buffalo's TD's and Rodgers accounted for 73%. The stats are not that far off in terms of total yards / TD's on either side. Josh actually has many more yards than Rodgers. I think Josh has a SERIOUS case for MVP.

FWIW... I believe Rodgers has been absolutely INCREDIBLE. He's the best QB to ever step foot on the field (Brady is the most winning, I get that... Rodgers is just far superior in virtually every other aspect.) I think he's going to win it, I just don't think the two are that far apart.

I agree with you. I was speaking only to what WILL happen, not what SHOULD happen.

The more existential/philosophical question of "what does 'most valuable' actually MEAN?" is a valid one. Unfortunately, it's not a question that the voters seem particularly interested in addressing. What MVP has really become is "best quarterback of the year". In my mind, that's not what it SHOULD be, but that's what it is.

I agree that Allen is more valuable to the Bills than Rodgers is to the Packers. But then, one could argue that Derrick Henry is more valuable to the Titans, Aaron Donald to the Rams, and so on.

Recognizing the MVP award for what it actually is these days, I expect and accept Rodgers winning the award.

49 minutes ago, Logic said:

This.

He'll get some votes, but Aaron Rodgers is going to win it this year. Allen will finish 2nd or 3rd in voting.

Even as a Bills fan, I can't complain. Allen's season has been incredible, but Rodgers' has been even better.

Fear not, Allen will win an MVP award or two in the years to come. This year just isn't his year.

Legitimately IMO Allen should finish second in voting, but likely will be third.

Just now, Logic said:

I agree with you. I was speaking only to what WILL happen, not what SHOULD happen.

The more existential/philosophical question of "what does 'most valuable' actually MEAN?" is a valid one. Unfortunately, it's not a question that the voters seem particularly interested in addressing. What MVP has really become is "best quarterback of the year". In my mind, that's not what it SHOULD be, but that's what it is.

I agree that Allen is more valuable to the Bills than Rodgers is to the Packers. But then, one could argue that Derrick Henry is more valuable to the Titans, Aaron Donald to the Rams, and so on.

Recognizing the MVP award for what it actually is these days, I expect and accept Rodgers winning the award.

I agree 100%. 

Rodgers has been absolutely unbelievable... so I can accept that.

I think it should be:

1. henry (2000 yards is so against the grain and head and shoulders above the position.  Titans would be sunk without him)

2. Rodgers - best QB stats this season.  traditionally MVP is the 'best QB award'

3A.  Allen - purely on stats, perhaps Mahomes gets it, but the Bills being an emerging team helps, as well as 8 rushing TDs and the general trending of the season.

3B. Mahomes

henry was nearly 500 yards above the next best rusher in Cook... and almost 900 yards ahead of the 3rd leading rusher!  There were only 9 1000-yard rushers this season.

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 1

I suspect Allen will finish second in the MVP voting behind Rodgers. Wilson trailed off a bit and fell behind Josh in total TD's and yardage. Mahomes won passing yardage but fell behind on total TD's and total yards. Rodgers is also the veteran guy who hasn't won in a long time for the best team in the NFC this year. All 5 candidates for MVP (Rodgers, Josh, Mahomes, Wilson and Henry) are on teams that won between 11-14 games, so they are all winners who made the playoffs and won their division. 

Rodgers wins it by a hair but Josh will and should be second place in votes. 

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

I dont understand how anyone can accurately say either Allen or Rodgers is more important to their team.  They are equally important on pass heavy offenses.  

Both teams would be devastated if both got knocked out for the season week 1. 

And actually, if that happened, Bills likely have a better record than Packers given we have a better overall roster.  So  if you wanted to split hairs, I think Rodgers means more to Packers given their overall roster isn’t as good as ours.  

But end of the day,  neither team is likely a playoff team without their respective starting QB and are really equally as important to their teams.  

• Like (+1) 2

I feel like D Henry isn't getting enough recognition. Not saying he should win, but I've only seen or heard his mentioned by a couple. 2k yards. I know that gets into the  MVP vs. OPOY debate.  

A Peterson won over P Manning into 2012. Maybe Rodgers/Mahomes/Allen all had better seasons than Manning. Too lazy to look further. 

4 minutes ago, Nineforty said:

I feel like D Henry isn't getting enough recognition. Not saying he should win, but I've only seen or heard his mentioned by a couple. 2k yards. I know that gets into the  MVP vs. OPOY debate.  

A Peterson won over P Manning into 2012. Maybe Rodgers/Mahomes/Allen all had better seasons than Manning. Too lazy to look further. 

Barnwell, fwiw, brings up this point, which I had not previously thought about (he has Josh at 3rd in MVP behind Mahomes and Rodgers): 

"Allen has added more value with his legs than his counterparts, but he also has more turnovers (14) than Mahomes and Rodgers combined (11)."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/30647071/nfl-awards-2020-picks-mvp-best-rookies-offensive-defensive-players-year-top-coaches 

Edited by Nineforty

9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I dont understand how anyone can accurately say either Allen or Rodgers is more important to their team.  They are equally important on pass heavy offenses.  

Both teams would be devastated if both got knocked out for the season week 1. 

And actually, if that happened, Bills likely have a better record than Packers given we have a better overall roster.  So  if you wanted to split hairs, I think Rodgers means more to Packers given their overall roster isn’t as good as ours.  

But end of the day,  neither team is likely a playoff team without their respective starting QB and are really equally as important to their teams.  

Completely fair.

The only counter argument I could offer is that at least the Packers have a 1st round QB waiting in the wings in Jordan Love, whereas the bills have a journeyman who was out of the NFL until the Bills called him.

But overall, you're right: elite QBs -- the guys that win the MVP award every year -- are extremely valuable to their team in all cases.

• Like (+1) 1

I think it's Allen and here's why.... Allen separated his non throwing shoulder just before halftime in the week 4 victory vs the Raiders. The next 4 weeks he plays with a bulky LBers harness to prevent to from separating again. Matt Hasselbeck did a piece right before the Seahawks game on this and said it does effect your throwing and accuracy. Having had that injury before, Matt accurately predicts that it's about the time Josh should be feeling better and predicts a big game for Allen(31/38 415 3 TDs/1 Rushing TD)

In those 4 games Josh was 71/129  846 Yds 55% 6.55 YPA 4 TDs 4 INTs QB Rating 72.69 only 1 Rushing TD....Win/Loss 2-2.

Outside those 4 games he was 325/443  3,698 Yds 73.36% 8.35 YPA 33 TDs 6 INTs QB Rating 117.19,  7 Rushing TDs....Win/Loss 11-1.

Neither Rodgers or Mahomes had to play as injured as Josh was and he still hung with them in wins and stats. He's the Most VALUABLE Player to his team.

He's in the running but not this year. I'de love to see co-mvps. Henry also deserves it. But Rodgers was the leader all year. It's hard to catch someone when they keep putting up numbers as well. 

Allen is getting a lot of support. I'm seeing Total Tds used more also. I wish the Bills got Allen 5,000 yards. That would compete with 50tds by Rodgers and 2000 yards by Henry. 

He did do something no other QB has ever done. It's possible. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

Unfortunately the season compiles statistics from 16 games, not the first few and final 8. (Allen gets the 2nd half MVP no doubt)

Also, Allen sat in the second half of the past two games.. but Rogers wins it this year. He didn't leave any question about it.

3 hours ago, thronethinker said:

Kelly was great and he was tough as nails, but he had no where near the skills that Allen has. What Kelly had was the Option of NFL MVP and HOFer Thurman Thomas at his side. Kelly was the Leader of the Bills, but Thurman Thomas was the piece of the puzzle that made it possible

This. And, don't me wrong, I absolutely love JK.

But watch (nearly) any full game YT vid fr that era, with the value of perspective and time. The evidence is clear, imho.

Thurman was an other worldly dual-threat...the McCaffrey of his time only better. And he did it w that same quasi-draw play fr shotgun, over and over!

How JA is doing this is amazing. I mean, I do like Motor and Moss, but does anyone scheme around them? I ain't no expert, but doubt it. JA is it.

That said, I don't really care if he gets MVP, only SBVs

4 hours ago, NC-billsfan! said:

Seriously? Kelly is a first ballot hall of fame QB who led the Bills to 4 straight Super Bowls.

That’s all true. And he wasn’t all that good.

There’s a reason why the OP included him with Bledsoe lol

I normally don't like it when they do this but this is one of those years where I would love to see Rodgers and Allen win Co-MVP.  They are both completely deserving of it.  Plus if the Bills and Pack meet up in the Super Bowl it would make for some tasty storylines.