I’ll be extremely disappointed if Allen doesn’t get brought up for MVP

On 1/4/2021 at 1:29 PM, mannc said:

On what basis?  I see a lot of people just blindly repeat this, but I don't think there's any real reason, other than name recognition, to pick Rodgers over Allen for this award.  Their stats (including W-L) are pretty much indistinguishable, so that can't be the reason... 

You're right.  They're close.  But Rodgers (approx) 48 TD's and 2-3 picks is what will earn him the award.  Allen is def more deserving than Mahomes this year. Mahomes is winning, Allen is destroying.

On 1/4/2021 at 1:52 PM, Logic said:

I agree with you. I was speaking only to what WILL happen, not what SHOULD happen.

The more existential/philosophical question of "what does 'most valuable' actually MEAN?" is a valid one. Unfortunately, it's not a question that the voters seem particularly interested in addressing. What MVP has really become is "best quarterback of the year". In my mind, that's not what it SHOULD be, but that's what it is.

I agree that Allen is more valuable to the Bills than Rodgers is to the Packers. But then, one could argue that Derrick Henry is more valuable to the Titans, Aaron Donald to the Rams, and so on.

Recognizing the MVP award for what it actually is these days, I expect and accept Rodgers winning the award.

Completely agree.  I don't know if there is a standard - there should be, but I think there isn't one, otherwise we'd know about it.  So every voter does their own interpretation when they vote and we all argue/discuss it.