Anthony Lynn fired by Chargers

YoloinOhio

Just now, dneveu said:

Thats a bit unfair.  They missed starters in quite a few games

James missed the season.  Pouncey also didn't play all season.  

Harris missed 8 weeks.

Ekeler missed 6 weeks.

Ingram missed 9 weeks.

Bosa missed 4 weeks.

Bulaga played 38% of snaps.  

Allen/Williams/Henry all missed time this year.  There were weeks where they were on their 4th string back.

It's not an excuse of course - but I'm going to assume they regress next season.  I agree on the special teams part - but its hard to make a coaching adjustment like that mid-season.  

Top 10 in offense and defense yardage wise to me seems like neither unit could get it done in the 4th quarter.  

It’s absolutely fair. In fact, I was generous - I did not even bring up Lynn’s misadventures in clock management. He’s a total failure at HC. Sucks to say it, I liked him a lot when he was here. 

The fact that you highlight the team’s high rankings on offense and defense actually prove my point even more.

9 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

This is why I figured this would be the threat to Daboll.  

Best thing we can do now is make it to the Super Bowl, drag this out as long as possible to give the owner a chance to make a stupid decision. But this does make it harder not only because he's got a real shot here but if this takes whoever the Texans want then that one becomes more likely for Daboll as well.

1 minute ago, JMF2006 said:

Why do a lot of people think Daboll will want to leave?

He might be happy just being an OC and especially with this O.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the street......until you get there. 

The grass may not be greener but the money is. Daboll will probably be able to command a 9 or 10 mil a year contract. No way he is turning that down and there are way to many very good HC openings to choose from this year. He is 100% without a doubt gone after this year.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dneveu said:

😄 - Turner missed a ton of time too.

Essentially they spent tons of money on oline and they all got hurt.

Yea I like Trai Turner I think he is a decent guard when healthy which he basically hasn't been all year. But Bulaga was one odd signing. A declining career right tackle who you are expecting to come in and protect a rookie QB's blindside and then pay him as if he will be able to do it. Bizarre, and I said so at the time too. Green Bay upgraded at RT with Rick Wagner IMO. 

1 minute ago, JMF2006 said:

The grass is always greener on the other side of the street......until you get there. 

This here as well. Part of me thinks he will stay and that Pegula will pay the man enough money to convince him to stay, I think Brian knows he’s got something special here and most of his family lives in Buffalo and he grew up a Bills fan and called this his dream job when he first got it. I’m keeping my fingers crossed. Pay the man Terry and keep him 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JoPoy88 said:

It’s absolutely fair. In fact, I was generous - I did not even bring up Lynn’s misadventures in clock management. He’s a total failure at HC. Sucks to say it, I liked him a lot when he was here. 

The fact that you highlight the team’s high rankings on offense and defense actually prove my point even more.

Ingame management issues were definitely there.  Twitter called him out on the end of the bills game when herbert ran a sneak - I don't think Lynn called that or would've told him that it was smart to do so.  Bad timeouts, etc.  Those are hallmarks of a new coach, and he isn't a new coach so thats fair to say.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

He interviewed for the Browns opening last year so he’s shown interest in being a HC. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

The grass may not be greener but the money is. Daboll will probably be able to command a 9 or 10 mil a year contract. No way he is turning that down and there are way to many very good HC openings to choose from this year. He is 100% without a doubt gone after this year.

You never know, maybe he doesn’t want to be a HC. Some guys are better coordinators than HC’s. And if Terry backs up the brinks truck for him I think he will stay. 

I’m not even sure Daboll is the best fit here. If I was LA, Robert Saleh might be the guy I want the most. The offense is set, and quite good. The defense... Ewwwww. Saleh is the guy I wanna bring in to get the most from that defense. If Lynn and Steichen or whatever his name is can get that much from Herbert even when missing ekeler a ton and Keenan Allen hurt some and Mike Williams hurt some you don’t need an offensive guru to come in and fix what ain’t broken. 

1 minute ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

This here as well. Part of me thinks he will stay and that Pegula will pay the man enough money to convince him to stay, I think Brian knows he’s got something special here and most of his family lives in Buffalo and he grew up a Bills fan and called this his dream job when he first got it. I’m keeping my fingers crossed. Pay the man Terry and keep him 

The highest paid OC is around 3 mil a year and Daboll will be able to pick his team and will easily be paid 10+ mil a year as a HC. 

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

He interviewed for the Browns opening last year so he’s shown interest in being a HC. 

Doesn’t necessarily mean he will get it, coaches interview all the time but it’s up to the front office who gets picked. There’s a lot more names out there than just Daboll 

7 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

lol no. Wishful thinking.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I mean - LA... Good relationship with GM... Solid QB... Good pieces sprinkled across the roster.  Ingram, Henry, Pouncey come off the books so there's some cap space there as well.  Could continue to build along the oline, get some young talent there.  Could also see them invest in cornerbacks this offseason. 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

You never know, maybe he doesn’t want to be a HC. Some guys are better coordinators than HC’s. And if Terry backs up the brinks truck for him I think he will stay. 

So he will be making 9 Or 10 mil plus, how much does Pegula pay him? 6 mil for a OC might be go crazy since it is double the going rate and half the HC are not even making that much.

Who’s to say Terry won’t pay him 10 million?? He could set the market for OC’s. Terry’s not cheap

That’s more money than you are paying McD.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

That sucks

Spanos running a tight ship. 

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Lol please stop.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Doesn’t necessarily mean he will get it, coaches interview all the time but it’s up to the front office who gets picked. There’s a lot more names out there than just Daboll 

Obviously there’s no guarantee he gets hired. Smart money says he’s going to be one of the top candidates though. 

The point being is that people question whether he’d want to leave to be a HC when Daboll has already shown interest in doing so. 

These aren’t 20 minute interviews at Mighty Taco. These things take several hours, sometimes over multiple days. Can’t imagine a coach goes through all the prep work and time actually interviewing if they weren’t seriously considering becoming a HC.

2 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

So he will be making 9 Or 10 mil plus, how much does Pegula pay him? 6 mil for a OC might be go crazy since it is double the going rate and half the HC are not even making that much.

That’s more money than you are paying McD.

Well I disagree since Gruden is getting 10-15 million plus 25 million in signing bonus a year. I’m sure Terry has been in discussions with Daboll about staying and I think he will offer him a good hunk of money to stay. Daboll is in my opinion the best OC in the NFL but wouldn’t make him a great HC. 

32 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

This is the job that I fear most we lost Daboll to. 

Bad luck Anthony. You just aren't quite cut out for it. 

me too i thought this is the best opportunity for him to leave us. 

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

Obviously there’s no guarantee he gets hired. Smart money says he’s going to be one of the top candidates though. 

The point being is that people question whether he’d want to leave to be a HC when Daboll has already shown interest in doing so. 

These aren’t 20 minute interviews at Mighty Taco. These things take several hours, sometimes over multiple days. Can’t imagine a coach goes through all the prep work and time actually interviewing if they weren’t seriously considering becoming a HC.

While this is true, you do realize Spanos still owns the chargers and is one of the cheapest owners in the NFL. A lot of coaches have had problems working for spanos and his family. He’s the one who gave the green light to fire Schottenheimer after an 11-5 season

3 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

The real question is who would you rather have as a HC Daboll or McD. I will be waiting for that poll and I bet it would be very close.

It would be closer than it should. It shouldn't be close at all

Tampa Bay did this very thing a few years back. It was a train wreck

Well I disagree since Gruden is getting 10-15 million plus 25 million in signing bonus a year. I’m sure Terry has been in discussions with Daboll about staying and I think he will offer him a good hunk of money to stay. Daboll is in my opinion the best OC in the NFL but wouldn’t make him a great HC. 

Daboll has proven that he can develop a young QB. His play calling and play design this year was easily best in the NFL. Daboll is what every team is looking for in a HC. 

2 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Well, I don't know Daboll, and I have no idea what he will do, but I won't be surprised if he stays.   Why?

1.  He's a Buffalo guy and he gets, completely, what winning a Super Bowl in Buffalo means.   He probably wants to be a part of that, maybe wants that more than anything else.  

2.  This season is the first real success he's had as an OC in the NFL.   He had a lot of one and done failures in bad situations.   He may want to keep building this, to keep learning, to prepare himself better. 

3.  As someone said, the Pegulas may give him a lot of money to stay.   There's no salary cap for coaches, so they can pay him whatever they want.   Remember, he's been making six figures for several years, and probably now making seven figures.  He already has millions of dollars saved.   He has 19 years in the NFL as a coach, which means, I believe, he needs one more year to qualify for the full coach's pension, which I understand is very nice (mid-six figures).  This is a West Seneca kid who probably never dreamed of being set for life by time he reached 45 years old, but that's where he is.  If the Pegulas start dropping, say, $5 million a year on him, it's quite conceivable that Daboll decides, like a lot of other guys have decided, that they don't need to be a HC to be satisfied.    Remember, he coached with Josh McDaniels, and he saw McDaniels leave an OC job to be a head coach, then come back to his OC job.   

I'm not convinced Daboll is going anywhere.  

Woof Idk who in they’re right mind would be interested in the Jets job lol

I agree.  It's likely the size of the market that might attract him.  Since he coached at Stanford and SF, I would think the west coast would be most attractive.

While this is true, you do realize Spanos still owns the chargers and is one of the cheapest owners in the NFL. A lot of coaches have had problems working for spanos and his family. He’s the one who gave the green light to fire Schottenheimer after an 11-5 season

It's even worse than that... Marty was fired after going 14-2, because a DB fumbled after catching the game winning INT against Brady in the playoffs so it proved "Marty cannot win in the playoffs."

Ironic point: on the Football Life about Marty they showed the video of Marty telling that same player before that game that when he catches the game winning INT just go down, don't go running around and fumble. 

It's crazy