Week 17 SNF: Washington Football Team at Eagles

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

This is the type of game that forces leagues to change rules. 

A draft lottery could make sense. Philly knows they can move up 4 spots in the draft if they lose, tanking is almost a no brainer. That was just awful to watch though, I feel bad for Giants fans who had to watch that. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

You want to watch an NFL where all eliminated teams throw games?

It's kind of like the MLB unspoken code of conduct.

When you can play spoiler you make a show of doing it. You might want to let that 30 year old scrub get his first and only major league start as a September call-up, but you don't do it when the result of the game matters to some other team.

At first I defended the Eagles because they played to win, and going to a new QB isn't a radical thing to do in Game 16. But after watching what they did with that new QB ...

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

After that?  I think it may gain some momentum.  Not for this draft of course but maybe for the next.

Weird too because obvious tanking was just not happening this year. The 2 Jets wins, etc.

And then we have a tank to gain 3 places in the draft, not even for moving into the top 5?

Karma says the Eagles pick a Mitch Trubisky at 6 and the new team at 9 gets Mahomes.

I have no sympathy for the Giants.  A 6-10 team doesn’t deserve to go to the playoffs. But that was a bad look for the NFL.  There’s grown men with families sacrificing their bodies to earn their living and some loser coach basically makes a mockery of an NFL game.  Embarrassing.  Pederson don’t deserve to ever coach another game in the NFL.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloRebound said:

I have no sympathy for the Giants.  A 6-10 team doesn’t deserve to go to the playoffs. But that was a bad look for the NFL.  There’s grown men with families sacrificing their bodies to earn their living and some loser coach basically makes a mockery of an NFL game.  Embarrassing.  Pederson don’t deserve to ever coach another game in the NFL.  

I mean none of them did.

Just now, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Meanwhile...And now Pederson has to face Hurts as his starter next season after throwing the last game they played.  If he still has a job.

I mean it gets them the better picks but Pederson is going to have to worry about not having the locker room next year.

• Like (+1) 3

• SDS unpinned this topic
Just now, Warcodered said:

I mean it gets them the better picks but Pederson is going to have to worry about not having the locker room next year.

It's a ridiculous thing to prioritize moving up 3 picks at the expense of your entire locker room's morale.  The veterans on that team can't even look Pederson in the eye right now I bet.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jimmy10 said:

I just have to say I’m bummed for my Giants fan buddies. In a just world, relegation would be a thing and the Eagles would be playing in the arena league next year. 

I mean positively they get significantly better draft picks to help fix their broken team.

12 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

It's a ridiculous thing to prioritize moving up 3 picks at the expense of your entire locker room's morale.  The veterans on that team can't even look Pederson in the eye right now I bet.

Locker room morale lost is one thing.....league integrity is another.  This will be a big thing on tomorrow’s shows and take away from an otherwise cool strong day for the league.

I'm sorry but 6-10 football teams don't get to be entitled about possible playoff appearances. As much as the Eagles supposedly tanked the game they only lost by 3 points. Hurts was pulled because he was playing terrible and there was effectively no way for Philly to win with either QB.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm sorry but 6-10 football teams don't get to be entitled about possible playoff appearances. As much as the Eagles supposedly tanked the game they only lost by 3 points. Hurts was pulled because he was playing terrible and there was effectively no way for Philly to win with either QB.

A 6-10 team, a 15-1 team, and an 0-16 team all deserve to have the teams playing in the rest of the league give actual effort.  I don’t care one bit either way about Philly, NYG or WFT but what happened tonight is summarized perfectly by the Jalen Hurts gif upthread. It’s not right.

Just now, 4merper4mer said:

A 6-10 team, a 15-1 team, and an 0-16 team all deserve to have the teams playing in the rest of the league give actual effort.  I don’t care one bit either way about Philly, NYG or WFT but what happened tonight is summarized perfectly by the Jalen Hurts gif upthread. It’s not right.

I just don't understand what people are seeing that makes them think it was an intentional loss. Hurts was playing terrible. The only other active QB was Sudfeld. There was zero chance of either QB winning this game. If they were tanking why start Hurts in the first place? Why not run on every down? What happened is the Eagles tried for 3 quarters and then Pederson realized Hurts doesn't have it. I'm not saying he's a good coach but everyone assuming he lost on purpose makes no sense to me.

1 minute ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

What will get lost after the Sudfeld decision was how he punted from the opponents' 35 and then went for it from the 4 instead of kicking the game tying field goal on consecutive drives.

The eschewing of the tying FG was beyond stupid but I missed the. Punt from the 35.  I did see Sudfeld’s arm punt.  That was nice.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I just don't understand what people are seeing that makes them think it was an intentional loss. Hurts was playing terrible. The only other active QB was Sudfeld. There was zero chance of either QB winning this game. If they were tanking why start Hurts in the first place? Why not run on every down? What happened is the Eagles tried for 3 quarters and then Pederson realized Hurts doesn't have it. I'm not saying he's a good coach but everyone assuming he lost on purpose makes no sense to me.

I mean that's true but it felt like they buttered the ball once Sudfield was in.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Hurts wasn't playing well but he was already dangerous enough with his legs to lead 2 scoring drives.  They didn't have zero chance with him in there and it was a 3 point game.  They had zero chance with Sudfeld.  Based on what we saw Sudfeld couldn't lead a single scoring drive if you gave him 60 minutes.

That was rough. After a day when teams that had no playoff chance played like they had everything on the line, the Eagles just folded.

It was disrespectful to the players on the field. They were fighting hard to win that game.