Cam Newton - “Mentally tough”

RunTheBall

3 hours ago, Magox said:

That’s a pretty rough take but I’d have to agree with some of your points.

He definitely did succeed in large part because of his physical attributes and his competitiveness.  Now that he has been hampered with injuries and Father Time his bad mechanics are no longer hidden by those great attributes he had.

He could serve as a backup QB but the question is will he want to retire as one?   His outsized personality makes it tough for me to believe he would accept being one but if he could mentally accept that and decide to contribute as one then he could be an asset, as a backup.

yup. doesn't seem to have the humility as mike vick eventually did. that is what he needs to try to be at this point. 

I hate Cam always have. But let's not forget he was throwing the rock to grocery baggers all season. Is he a good QB? NOPE. Is he at bad as he looked this season? I'm not so sure sure to nothing on offense. All that said I'm happy him and the Pats looked the way they did all season.

1 hour ago, Man with No Name said:

yup. doesn't seem to have the humility as mike vick eventually did. that is what he needs to try to be at this point. 

I think he does and to be honest this was by far the worst supporting cast Cam Newton has ever played with IMO.

Myself personally,  this season under B B changed Cam into a more humble person and a better leader of men IMO. Despite the losing season. Newton has some mechanical issues that need to be addressed IMO. A younger Newton could arm throws into tight windows. Now, not so much IMO. Cam needs to use better throwing mechanics to reach higher velocity and increased accuracy in my humble opinion.  

Edited by Figster

Cam Newton is suffering from the same ailment Tom Brady had in NE, no weaponry!! Everybody thought Brady lost it, now look at him. I think one Cam gets some type of offensive weapons around him, he can be an adequate QB in the league. Remember, Cam was never considered the most accurate QB in the league but was able to be dynamic and make plays

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

From reading all his quotes in the article, its hard to believe the Pats* ever signed him.  I'll just leave it at that.

CAm was a longshot for sure....but Bellicheck knows already that Stidham cna't play........so he had to do something.  Look for the Pats to add a couple of  QB's this off season.

9 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

CAm was a longshot for sure....but Bellicheck knows already that Stidham cna't play........so he had to do something.  Look for the Pats to add a couple of  QB's this off season.

Add a couple of QB's and I might consider keeping Cam around another season. Cheap, good work ethic 

See what develops...

6 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

He'll be so busy shopping for babushkas that he won't have time to study the playbook.  With Cam Newton 2021 you're not getting the steak, you're getting the sizzle (off a burnt and dried out hamburger).

Geez.  I don't think it will get to a point where the pandemic is that bad.

12 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/12/31/in-2020-cam-newton-learned-hes-a-mentally-tough-sob/#comments

I don’t tend to start threads but I was browsing PFT and this little tidbit just blew my mind. I thought I’d share since there has been some discussion that Cam might be an option for backup QB for us next season.

In my opinion, I don’t want this clown anywhere near our franchise.

Besides the fact that I think he is an absolutely awful QB now, his absolute lack of self awareness is stunning. This whole article is a self congratulatory homage to how mentally tough he thinks he is because he’s had to persevere through one of the worst seasons I’ve seen a starting QB have in memory. There is zero acknowledgment that he’s even part of the problem. He spends more time discussing the difference in clothes he wears compared to Belichick. He has no chance of fixing his mechanical issues and becoming even a serviceable backup QB because he really doesn’t think he’s any part of the problem.

I think Cam was allowed to get away with horrible mechanics for his career because he was such a physical specimen he could overcome it with arm strength and escapability. Now that he’s older and injuries have taken their toll, his flaws are horribly exposed and its been obvious all year he can barely throw a football anymore. No thanks.

Combine that with a personality that is the exact opposite of “the process” and I can’t believe McBeane would let this guy west of Syracuse let alone in the building despite their familiarity with him.

Thank you so much for this post and the link.  The last paragrap was one the funniest things I’ve seen in a while.  From the insight into his steez being Polo Down v BB in hoodies, getting the stench of Patriotness on him and realizing it never comes off, I feel I know him just a little bit better.  My favorite though it the arbitrarily placed one word sentence that implies so much more than the 4 letters strung together:  Boom.  

Cam Newton is the Chaz Michael Michaels of pro football.