Revisiting the Trade that brought Josh Allen to the Bills

ganesh

The Bills traded their 12th (1st round).  53rd (2nd round) and 56th (2nd Round)  for the 7th pick to get the rights to draft Allen in the 2018 draft. 

Tampa bay traded out of the 56th spot with New England and received the 63rd spot (2nd round) and the 117th pick (4th Round).

Tampa drafted the following players at those spots:

12th -  Vita Vea     DT

53rd -  M J Stewart  (CB)

63rd -  Carlton Davis  (CB)

117th -  Jordan Whitehead (S)

Looking at Buc's roster,   Jordan and Carlton are their starting Safety and CB...

Carlton has a total of 5 INT in his career with 4 coming this season. 

Jordan  has a total of 3 INT in his career with 2 coming this season.

Vita has anchored the Bucs DL with a total of 7.5 sacks in 3 seasons. He was place on IR after 5 games into the season.

Stewart was waived by the Bucs this August and claimed by the Browns.  He got his 1st sack and 1st INT of his career this year with the Browns.

I am glad we made the trade that day and then selected the right guy with that pick.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 4

A nitpick.

While Beane most likely would've done some trading, I think the comparison should be who was actually taken with the 56th pick, which was CB Duke Dawson. 

Regardless, they could've taken Jalen Ramsey and the Bills still win the trade. A franchise QB is priceless, especially one whose personality matches the city in which he plays...

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TPS said:

A nitpick.

While Beane most likely would've done some trading, I think the comparison should be who was actually taken with the 56th pick, which was CB Duke Dawson. 

Regardless, they could've taken Jalen Ramsey and the Bills still win the trade. A franchise QB is priceless, especially one whose personality matches the city in which he plays...

Trash

2 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Great digging OP. That draft for Allen is looking better and better, which is always what we were going to ultimately judge our FO on. Hit on QB pick, write your own ticket. Has anyone else noticed the lack of new 'coulda, woulda had Mahomes' threads lately? ;)   

Do you think the Bucs have any coulda had Allen threads? 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Albanybillsbacker said:

Honestly, they could have selected the next  JJ Watt or Bruce smith for that matter, the franchise QB will always win.  

I think that is what the Broncos are fretting.  they had a chance and instead took Chubb

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, ganesh said:

The Bills traded their 12th (1st round).  53rd (2nd round) and 56th (2nd Round)  for the 7th pick to get the rights to draft Allen in the 2018 draft. 

Tampa bay traded out of the 56th spot with New England and received the 63rd spot (2nd round) and the 117th pick (4th Round).

12th -  Vita Vea     DT

Looking at Buc's roster,   Jordan and Carlton are their starting Safety and CB...

Vita has anchored the Bucs DL with a total of 7.5 sacks in 3 seasons. He was place on IR after 5 games into the season.

Stewart was waived by the Bucs this August and claimed by the Browns.  He got his 1st sack and 1st INT of his career this year with the Browns.

I am glad we made the trade that day and then selected the right guy with that pick.  

It’s even more complicated than that. We had to trade Bell and some picks to move from 21 to 12 pre draft. 

Beane was doing a whole lotta moving and shaking pre and during draft to make this happen. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

42 minutes ago, ganesh said:

12th -  Vita Vea     DT

Don't forget that we used KCs pick to draft Tre and then packaged KCs pick the following year to trade up for Edmunds.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Big74Mac said:

I live in Denver (Still a Bills Fan) and I hear it all day long. They constantly rip the Bronco's for not selected Allen. 

Yeah. I know a Broncos fan and he thinks Allen had Elway Pick written all over him (which seems fair as they're very similar) but was scared away because of the pre-draft comparisons to Paxton Lynch.

47 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Great digging OP. That draft for Allen is looking better and better, which is always what we were going to ultimately judge our FO on. Hit on QB pick, write your own ticket. Has anyone else noticed the lack of new 'coulda, woulda had Mahomes' threads lately? ;)   

...:  "The Bills whiffed on Mahomes!  Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!"

Us:  "Who are you?"

...:  "Oh, we're the Mitch Trubisky led Chicago Bears!"

Us: "...really?  Honestly, really?!"

• Haha (+1) 1

Knowing what we know now, I would have been ok if they pulled a Ditka and gave up their entire draft for him. 😃 

Still the craziest thing I ever saw in a draft!

These exercises are interesting and it’s the time to do them. I recently reviewed our ‘18 draft grades and it shows how futile that process is...particularly for skill players. Doing it in this manner actually makes sense. 

Thanks for posting!

13 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

Yeah. I know a Broncos fan and he thinks Allen had Elway Pick written all over him (which seems fair as they're very similar) but was scared away because of the pre-draft comparisons to Paxton Lynch.

Denver has been a grave yard for grooming QBs because they are not patient.  I think Josh was not ready to start in the NFL in his rookie season.  McDermott understood that and allowed him to take the lumps in  a 6-10 season.  Denver harasses their young QBs and don't let them learn and grow.   Allen would have been a bust in Denver by now.

We are on the verge of being in a world where we will no longer need to hear about how they could have drafted Mahomes but traded down instead.  I never liked the point anyways because choosing the next high draft choice QB was always a job better left to the next GM and staff. 

I will be ok with it in terms of telling the story about how this current team was built but we should not be exposed ever again to this story told as some sort of a franchise altering error.   Only really lame thinkers would cling to that opinion and I do know there will always be some of those people around.

2 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So of all the picks they got, the highest one, the 12th is the one player since waived!  Kind of funny in that respect.

Not really.  Vita who was drafted ta the 12th spot is on the team but was IR'ed this season.  The 1st of 2nd rounders (53rd pick) was the one who was waived.

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Don't forget that we used KCs pick to draft Tre and then packaged KCs pick the following year to trade up for Edmunds.

And don't forget, the Mahomes/Tre White trade that netted us that extra first in 2018 was only possible because the Bills fired Rex and tanked the last game of the 2016 season (against the Jets), improving their draft position from 15 to 10.