Jets fans are not happy about winning today

RobbRiddick

5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

We are focusing on the wrong divisional opponent.

The Dolphins are a playoff team with a top 5 pick thanks to Bill O’Brien.  They are coming.

We shall see. They won't always have Fitz to bring in as a relief pitcher to bail them out. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, H2o said:

We shall see. They won't always have Fitz to bring in as a relief pitcher to bail them out. 

Agreed, but they have built a decent team around Tua. If he makes advancements even half of what Josh did they could be difficult to beat. I’d love that rivalry to pop back up. 

2 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Agreed, but they have built a decent team around Tua. If he makes advancements even half of what Josh did they could be difficult to beat. I’d love that rivalry to pop back up. 

They have built a solid team and it will be interesting to see which way they go in the draft with that high 1st. I would expect OL, but Flores is a former DC so they could go for Parsons. I think Tua can be a quality starter, but his arm doesn't look that live to me. As long as they run an offense where it's more based on timing and quick throws I think he can do well. I don't see him ever becoming a Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Wilson, or Allen type of QB though. Just my 2. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

There is talk that Bill Cowher wants the NY Jets job as HC and likes their current GM. This could change everything in NY.

Are you out of your Vulcan mind?!  One glare from Cowher (🤨) will have Darnold seeing not only ghosts, but werewolves, vampires, and zombies as well. 

😁

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, H2o said:

They have built a solid team and it will be interesting to see which way they go in the draft with that high 1st. I would expect OL, but Flores is a former DC so they could go for Parsons. I think Tua can be a quality starter, but his arm doesn't look that live to me. As long as they run an offense where it's more based on timing and quick throws I think he can do well. I don't see him ever becoming a Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Wilson, or Allen type of QB though. Just my 2. 

Agreed. But with Fitz proving that there are pieces there, I think as Tua advances that he will be good to very good. I’m not one to write off young players...particularly skill position players...until year three or four. It takes time for the vast majority of these guys.

As they draft well and Tua can learn to process more quickly, it could become interesting. Of course none of this adds in any off season work he does. 

11 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Agreed. But with Fitz proving that there are pieces there, I think as Tua advances that he will be good to very good. I’m not one to write off young players...particularly skill position players...until year three or four. It takes time for the vast majority of these guys.

As they draft well and Tua can learn to process more quickly, it could become interesting. Of course none of this adds in any off season work he does. 

No, definitely not writing him off my friend. I think he can be a good starter in this league and a Phillip Rivers type. One who has always been that next level just below the elite QB's. 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Are you out of your Vulcan mind?!  One glare from Cowher (🤨) will have Darnold seeing not only ghosts, but werewolves, vampires, and zombies as well. 

😁

Welp, IMO Cowher got it done with a bunch of bums at QB over the years. Built a strong run game and defense while letting his QB manage the game. 

Tommy Maddox, Kordell Stewart, Mike Tomczak, Neil O'Donnell ...15 years and in the playoffs 10 of those with mostly bums. Yes, he finally won a SB with a 2nd year Big Ben...he also went to a SB with Neil O'Donnell.

Mike Tomlin has had mighty Ben Roethlisberger in his entire 14 years. Look what happened when he didn't have him last season and when injured. Not good. 

I think it would be worst case scenario for Buffalo fans to see Cowher take the NY Jets job. JMO.

I hope they go in a different direction or keep Mr. Wild Eyes. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Locomark said:

The reality is the Jets fans should be more focused on dumping Gase and loading up on real quality weapons and getting Darnold right. They can trade that 2nd pick for multiple high picks to some dumb team willing to take a shot on some mediocre QB like Fields. They then would have a boatload of 1st and 2nd rounders to retool with. 

And they are likely to get a top 5 pick next year anyways.  Better to have offense line before QB.

6 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Darnold has been screwed by his team, two head coaches, GM's and instead of building around him asap they tore the team down. Best receiver gone, best safety gone, best RB gone and their best D line player wants out now too. 

The only best thing that RB showed in NJ was he was good at collecting game checks.

The game has passed Bill Cowher by. No way he leaves the cush studio job for the Jets sht show. 

I agree with Coach Tuesday that Miami is going to be more of an issue in the near term. Flores is a solid coach and I really don’t have any problem with how he’s handling Tua. In fact I really don’t want to play Miami twice in a row, I think they could give us a scare. It wouldn’t surprise me if he started Tua next week and then started Fitz against us in the playoffs if we meet. We all know Fitz can have that one game where get gets hot and is nearly unstoppable. 

The thing that concerns me with Tua is his arm strength. I’m just not seeing it. I don’t think he has the zip to hit tight window throws past 15 yards. This isn’t Alabama where his receivers will have 10 yards of separation and he can just heave a deep ball. Unless Tua develops elite anticipation skills I think his lack of arm strength really limits his ceiling to a game manager type QB and not this elite prospect everyone has been ramming down our throats.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, H2o said:

No, definitely not writing him off my friend. I think he can be a good starter in this league and a Phillip Rivers type. One who has always been that next level just below the elite QB's. 

Honest Question: Why do you think that?

I'm not trying to condescend - Just genuinely curious..  I hear the same thing from many media types.  Is it just because he played well at Alabama?... because that seems to be what others base it on.  

In the NFL, he has shown me absolutely nothing.  I think he's been a joke so far this year.  I get that it's his rookie year, but all he does are the routine QB plays that most low-level/high back-up level QB's can provide.  Anything above and beyond that, any medium-high level throw, he hasn't shown he can make at this level, and the arm strength looks very problematic, unless it's still a function of his coming back from injury.  

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

If you are rooting for your team to lose for draft picks it's time for a new hobby.  We have seen plenty of that here for years. 

Some Bills fans on here have been worse, wanting a loss because they worship draft picks, and at times wanted to pick 8th instead of 15th. At least this time the Jets fans knew exactly what player they wanted, so we can understand them... and rejoice that #1 pick won't be in the division :) What is ridiculous is the NFL not having a lottery like the NHL. Losing should never be a desired  option!

BTW I wish some posters here would recall how so many draft picks are disappointing or even busts, and that so many late or undrafted guys become good or great. PROVEN players beat draft picks any day.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I agree. It’s nuts they want to give up on him. Looks like he has a lot of potential. I would double down; get a boatload of talent around him and see what he can do. 

They could definitely do worse than Darnold. 

4 hours ago, H2o said:

If they continue to pull him they would be smart to pull a Cardinals and draft another one. If Tua busts Flores will be gone. 

3 hours ago, TroutDog said:

He just isn’t as talented as Allen. I’m fine with him as the Dolphins QB. He could hit the Carr or Mayfield level. That is his ceiling imo. 

4 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The Dolphins are a playoff team with a top 5 pick thanks to Bill O’Brien.  They are coming.

The Dolphins will be a very good team for 2-3 year. Mainly because of their defence. 

4 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

It all depends on how Tua develops. You can only mask deficient QB play for so long. If he doesn't turn out good, they will be hamstrung and searching for a QB in a couple years.

1 hour ago, RunTheBall said:

The game has passed Bill Cowher by. No way he leaves the cush studio job for the Jets sht show. 

I agree with Coach Tuesday that Miami is going to be more of an issue in the near term. Flores is a solid coach and I really don’t have any problem with how he’s handling Tua. In fact I really don’t want to play Miami twice in a row, I think they could give us a scare. It wouldn’t surprise me if he started Tua next week and then started Fitz against us in the playoffs if we meet. We all know Fitz can have that one game where get gets hot and is nearly unstoppable. 

The thing that concerns me with Tua is his arm strength. I’m just not seeing it. I don’t think he has the zip to hit tight window throws past 15 yards. This isn’t Alabama where his receivers will have 10 yards of separation and he can just heave a deep ball. Unless Tua develops elite anticipation skills I think his lack of arm strength really limits his ceiling to a game manager type QB and not this elite prospect everyone has been ramming down our throats.

Agree with this.  Not really sure what Tua is - his short passes have incredible timing and precision, but that’s all he’s got right now.  He can’t or won’t challenge defenses downfield.  They run an Alex Smith-type horizontal offense when he’s in there.  It’s not sustainable long-term.

But what if they were to trade for Matt Stafford or even Matt Ryan?  They have a good coach and a ton of high draft picks.  They could be scary.

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Honest Question: Why do you think that?

I'm not trying to condescend - Just genuinely curious..  I hear the same thing from many media types.  Is it just because he played well at Alabama?... because that seems to be what others base it on.  

In the NFL, he has shown me absolutely nothing.  I think he's been a joke so far this year.  I get that it's his rookie year, but all he does are the routine QB plays that most low-level/high back-up level QB's can provide.  Anything above and beyond that, any medium-high level throw, he hasn't shown he can make at this level, and the arm strength looks very problematic, unless it's still a function of his coming back from injury.  

I saw the talent watching him for a couple of years at Alabama. He's seems like a smart kid, is athletic enough, and accurate to all levels of the field. The only questions I had were his arm strength, how it would translate to the NFL, and if he could remain healthy. To me personally, it seems like his arm is weaker than it was at Alabama. His throws don't seem to have the same zip on them. It could have something to do with the hip injury and not being able to get the same torque from his lower body, idk. If he is in a timing system where the reads develop quickly then I think he can be successful. I just don't think he'll ever be one of those guys who is out there throwing 20-30 yard ropes through tight windows. He could end up being a 2nd tier type of QB, he could end up as a backup, or he could wash out entirely. Right now I am betting on the Tua I saw at Alabama and thinking he ends up a 2nd tier QB, as long as there is good coaching around him and he is in the right system for his skillset. 

On 12/28/2020 at 1:48 PM, Success said:

They should stick w/ Darnold.  He can be a very good QB and still live up to his draft expectations - they have given him almost nothing to work with, and he needs better coaching.

They'll probably still draft a QB, though.  

Its really been the talent josh had to work with year 1 for darnolds entire career.  As much as we all dislike the jets you've gotta feel bad for the kid

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/27/2020 at 5:58 PM, RobbRiddick said:

This is the first post I just saw on Gang Green:

"First, f*** the day I became a Jets fan.

Second, f*** this world that allowed you to become Jets owners.

Third, f*** your brian cells for allowing Jags to pick #1 in the upcoming draft.

Lastly, f*** my life for giving you my hard earned money.

F***ck you Johnson brothers, f*** you."

Almost poetic.

Well I feel like the "brian" cells should fall under "a prerequisite to become a Jets fan".