CBS: Bills QB Situation "Mild Intrigue"

Rubes

12 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The question is when & for how many years.  Will the cap be high enough for an extension fewer than 10 years next year & would that cause both sides to wait until 2022 when they are pretty sure the games can sell out at stadium capacity.   

This comment is the real world calculus.  

13 hours ago, Rubes said:

I guess, but is it really intriguing? Lamar won the MVP award and always makes the Ravens dangerous, and Baker has the Browns with a winning record for the first time in forever and on the verge of a playoff appearance.

I mean, sure, things get complicated when their contracts are up, but does anyone really think those teams aren't set at QB for some time?

The intrigue is whether to sign them to an extension after this season or push it until after the fourth year knowing they still can exercise fifth year option and franchise tags in the future.

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

"Jiggers!  Boss says I've got a piece due, and it's got to POP!"

image.thumb.jpeg.b2aa81ebea26976f107041f0f017d7df.jpeg

Anyone reminded of those 1500 word essays from high school?  The ones where by page 3 you were burying the phrase 'you're an idiot' in the text since you knew it was filler?

I was not that blatant but I did send a message with first letter of each line to college professor.  

There was a lot of cheating by students where they would grab printout and turn it in as their own and professor would not try to determine who it was but would give each half of grade.

My message was "Stolen from Glenn Host" and I asked what was chance of that randomly happening with program still working. 

The student (who worked in computer center and stole it there) was told to resign from class or he would be brought up on academic charges.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

I think he put the Bills here because they have not locked JA up on a long-term deal yet. While it seems unlikely to us as fans, there is some possibility that the Bills may not be able to secure JA to a deal. The only other explanation is that you would have to look at this season as some sort of one-hit wonder for JA. Not to bring up a bad memory but we all remember that the Fitzmagic “magic” mysteriously ran out when he signed a big contract with the Bills. (Not ripping on the Amish rifle here just using the illustration). Again, the scenarios are probably worth the moniker of “mild intrigue.”  

The 2018 QBs can't be extended until after this (their 3rd) seasons.  LaConjectura should know this.  They are also all under contract through the end of 2021.  Again, something he should know.  And all, with the possible exception of Darnold, will get their 5th year options picked-up at least.  There is no intrigue, except with Darnold, although with the Jets winning last Sunday, they seem to be fine rolling with him.

2 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

I wonder who his agent is.  Never know.  The wrong agent could try to get him to go to a big media market where the non football $$ is big.  Just sayin.  Seems that JA is not the kind to let the agent tell him what is good for him, but the kid is what, 24, 25 and knows nothing of how the business of the NFL works.  Which agent was it who pulled a big name out of WNY a few years ago?? can't remember

His agency is CAA (Tom Condon).  I've never heard a bad thing about them.

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, 17islongenough said:

The only reason the Ravens, Bills and Browns are on there is because their qbs have contracts coming up

Agreed, but still, putting us in the same category as the Cowboys, Jets, Raiders, Panthers, Bucs, Vikings, and Broncos is just weird.  When you're 11-3 and just won the division, you're just in a different place than when you're paying a QB big bucks as the Boys, Raiders, Bucs and Vikes are, and you're either not winning as you expect for it or not as dominant as you'd hoped.

The Jets and Broncs seem like odd teams to put in the same conversation

• Like (+1) 3

Ridiculous click bait.

How in the world are the Bills and the Jets both in the same category, "mild intrigue".

Jets will probably land the #2 pick, they could trade away damaged goods in Darnold or keep him to "mentor" (LOL) Josh Fields until he is ready.

There is no intrigue with the current QB situation in Buffalo, none.

• Like (+1) 4

This might be the worst article I've ever seen written by a "professional" journalist. There are logical inconsistencies riddled through this "article" and he clearly put no thought or effort into it. 

He puts the Jaguars in the top category with this reasoning:

in the case of Jacksonville, the team is sitting on a winning lottery ticket to Trevor Lawrence if it manages to lose two more games after having not won a football game in more than three months.

Then he writes this on the Jets (currently in the 2nd category):

The Jets have an asterisk and if they get locked into the second overall pick then I suspect they stick with Darnold, rather than select a QB second overall. If they somehow get back to the top spot, then kick them down to category three and slot in Trevor Lawrence here.

Does being in a position to draft Trevor Lawrence put a team in the 1st or 3rd category? Spin the wheel and find out....

He might need to look up the definition of "intrigue" given there's absolutely no intrigue for the Bengals, Bills, Browns, Ravens, Rams, and Vikings, yet he puts all those teams in the 2nd category. 

Goff and Cousins aren't "franchise" guys, but with the contracts they have there's a 0% chance their teams move on from them in 2021. The Rams would eat a 66mil dead cap to cut/trade Goff. The Vikings would eat 41mm dead cap for Cousins. 

Jackson/Mayfield/Allen all look like "franchise" guys, and all are still on their rookie contracts in 2021. There's no intrigue here at all. Any possible contract extensions wouldn't even kick in until 2022, and are ultimately irrelevant for their teams QB situations in 2021. 

Burrow had a devastating injury, but I don't think there's any intrigue to the Bengals QB situation. It's Burrow if he's healthy enough to play. If he's not it'll be whatever backup they can sign off the scrap heap. Where's the intrigue ?

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

With Russ Brandon's evil presence totally removed from the Bills organization, the Bills are not going to fumble getting Allen secured long term.   Since Brandon was fired in the spring of 2018, the Bills have been  judiciously re-signing their best players, most notably Tre White, but also Dion Dawkins, Matt Milano, etc. 

"Less money in player contracts equals more money for me for dinner, drinks, dancing, and fancy suits!"

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Warcodered said:

So I guess we're on the list because we're in the part of Josh's rookie deal where QBs get extended. I don't see in what world that obviously isn't happening though.

In fairness, Josh still hasn't had a 500 yard game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Wentz never really put in the work like Allen has to fix his mechanics and keep them fixed. His mechanics this year are some of the worst you will ever see. From all accounts he is a bad locker room guy and not a leader at all. His teammates don't care for his leadership ability.

He is nothing like Allen. And truth be told it said a lot that Foles came in and played better than he did when he got hurt. Do you think Barkley would come in and play better than Allen?? Not a chance in the bloody pit of Hades.

I was speaking from the context of the medias perspective.  He was viewed as the next great thing until he got hurt.  Certainly does raise an eye brow that Foles came in and they still won the SB.  It also raised questions if the guy behind it all in Philly was Reich which then raises the question here, what if Daboll leaves.

My overall point though was Allen needs to come in and repeat things next year to get rid of any doubters.  To my question above if Dsaboll leaves all the more reason Allen  needs to show it was actually all him. Not saying he can't, but that's what he needs to prove, then all the negative comments will be gone.

1 hour ago, Kmart128 said:

Theyre just saying that Baker, Allen, and Lamar could all test the free agent market if they want... but Baker Mayfield is only one that i could possibly see testing the waters.

I don`t see how thats possible.

They all have one more year on their rookie deals and the teams could exercise the fifth year option on them

Then they could franchise tag them for 2 years.

Even in the worst situation you have control for four more years.

• Like (+1) 2