Which retread NFL Head Coach would you hire?

JohnNord

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

Brian Billick.

80-64, Super Bowl winner. 

I don't know what happened with his career. He never coached again after the Ravens. 

It's amazing the Ravens have only had three coaches in their history - Marchibroda, Billick and Harbaugh.  

I've always wondered was it that Billick was a good coach, or did he luck out having arguable one the of best defenses in NFL history. Ray Lewis in his prime, Terrell Suggs, Ed Reed on defense; offensive players like Michael Oher, Marshall Yanda, Anquon Bolden, Ray Rice, and Tyrod Tyler at QB (ok, backup!). I often thought Billick just had to do enough not to get in the way! In some ways, it's how Marv coach the Bills. Great players, competent coordinators, just don't screw it up! 

1 hour ago, BillsCuse said:

Agree, I think he started having problems with the front office in San Fran and was somewhat pushed out.  Stupid on The 49ers in my opinion

Agree, I think he started having problems with the front office in San Fran and was somewhat pushed out.  Stupid on The 49ers in my opinion

jimmy two times goodfellas GIF

Id go Marvin Lewis.  Some of these shaky places he will bring stability.  I think he makes alot sense for NYJ.  Espically, if they like Darnold.  Id go Lewis.  Take the tackle.  Build the oline and defense.  

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

You’re the GM of an NFL franchise and about to hire a new coach.  But your owner insists on hiring a HC with previous NFLhead coaching experience.  

Who do you hire and why?  Below are a few candidates:

Leslie Frazier, Bills DC

Josh McDaniels, Patriots HC 

Jason Garrett, Giants OC

Todd Bowles, Bucs DC

Dennis Allen, Saints DC

Raheem Morris, Falcons DC/HC

Romeo Crennel, Texans DC/HC

Chan Gailey, Miami OC (just for fun!)

Dan Quinn, out of NFL

Matt Patricia, out of NFL

Marvin Lewis, out of NFL

Bill O’Brien, out of NFL 

Jim Caldwell, out of NFL

Jim Harbaugh, out of NFL

IMO I would go with Frazier or Bowles.  I think both are good leaders that would be a solid defense.  Offense is the big question mark with them.  

They'll hire offensive coordinators, like defensive minded Coach McDermott.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

I think he was just done with the NFL after he got fired without ever having a losing season. He is a bit of a head case and a crazy personality, but he's a really good coach in the NFL.

He went 44-19 as head coach of the 49ers. The 49ers hadn't had a winning season in 9 seasons prior to him. He went to the NFC Championship game 3 times and the Superbowl once. He was coach of the year once.

Just crazy that the 49ers let him go.

Harbaugh certainly had a great record there. But they were in free-fall there before he left. IMO his record was more about great GMsmanship. He did a good job but also infuriated everyone around him. My team? Not interested.

I don't know how you can make this determination without an interview and more info (who would be Frazier's OC?), but I'd lean towards Frazier. 

Some of that is not knowing enough about most of the other candidates, some is in believing he's an excellent leader who if he gets good players can coach an excellent team. I would want to know his OC before making final determination, though.

With this roster? 

I actually might take Gailey. He’s always exceeded expectations with zero talent on that side of the ball.

If Gailey grabbed Schwartz, Wade, etc. there is a good chance he would have gotten us into the playoffs. 

3 hours ago, Artem Lipatov said:

Harbaugh. I don’t understand why he left NFL for college job. He had quick success reaching SB with 49ers and developed Kapernik into star qb 

The GM didn't like how much control he had and started a power struggle. Given the results immediately before and after Harbaugh...the 49ers made the wrong choice. 

1 hour ago, RobbRiddick said:

I'd go Harbaugh in a heartbeat. I read somewhere the Jets might be interested. I hope they don't get him.

You don't have to worry. Indications are that Harbaugh is staying at Michigan. They fired the DC which you don't do if you're planning on firing the coach and the rumors are that Michigan wouldn't get rid of him because he's owed 10 million unless an NFL team agreed to buy him out. 

The Jets seemed destined for Bieniemy trying to revive Darnold. 

Edited by jeremy2020
  • Like (+1) 1

Really depends for which team with what need. I think Dennis Allen would be on my shortlist if I was trying to fill a number of the jobs available this offseason and Bowles would probably be too. 

Equally if I was the Lions and he would take it I would hire Jim Harbaugh from down the road.

4 hours ago, JohnNord said:

You’re the GM of an NFL franchise and about to hire a new coach.  But your owner insists on hiring a HC with previous NFLhead coaching experience.  

Who do you hire and why?  Below are a few candidates:

Leslie Frazier, Bills DC

Josh McDaniels, Patriots HC 

Jason Garrett, Giants OC

Todd Bowles, Bucs DC

Dennis Allen, Saints DC

Raheem Morris, Falcons DC/HC

Romeo Crennel, Texans DC/HC

Chan Gailey, Miami OC (just for fun!)

Dan Quinn, out of NFL

Matt Patricia, out of NFL

Marvin Lewis, out of NFL

Bill O’Brien, out of NFL 

Jim Caldwell, out of NFL

Jim Harbaugh, out of NFL

IMO I would go with Frazier or Bowles.  I think both are good leaders that would be a solid defense.  Offense is the big question mark with them.  

Of that list, most likely Harbaugh.

13 hours ago, Beast said:

Jason Garrett

13 hours ago, Artem Lipatov said:

Harbaugh. I don’t understand why he left NFL for college job. He had quick success reaching SB with 49ers and developed Kapernik into star qb 

$8m reasons per year for Jimmy

I agree wih Jason G 

I thought he did a good job in a very stressfull enviroment in Dallas.

Look how well its going for Fat Mike there ;)

32 minutes ago, Artem Lipatov said:

Jets fired DC. Do you think they are not planning on firing the coach? 🙀🤣

Heres hoping ;)

Edited by JMF2006

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Really depends for which team with what need. I think Dennis Allen would be on my shortlist if I was trying to fill a number of the jobs available this offseason and Bowles would probably be too. 

Equally if I was the Lions and he would take it I would hire Jim Harbaugh from down the road.

But all the politicians want Saleh from the 9ers ;)

I've always wondered what happened to Lovie Smith he had a decent record while with the Bears and seemed to be a football guy i thought a good HC that would have gotten another job at least a yr removed to re energize a bit but nothin in the NFL ----- Right 🤔 ???

• Like (+1) 1