Mike Tomlin over or underrated

Big Blitz

My friend is a huge Steelers fan and he always says these things about Tomlin.  He won the Super Bowl with Cowhers team and was handed a franchise QB.  He plays down to competition a lot of the time.  And how did he not win with all the talent he had in the years with Bell, Brown, Wheaton, Bryant, and Big Ben.  I do hear that Steelers fans like complaining a lot, probably because they haven't really gone through too much hardship when it comes to football.  I think Tomlin is a good coach, but not a great one.

• Like (+1) 1

He's underrated. One of the best team leaders in the game and commands complete respect from his players. Never had a losing season in 14 years. Despite winning a Superbowl, his best coaching effort may have been last year when he somehow went 8-7 with Mason Rudolph and Devlin Hodges under center. If for some crazy reason Pittsburgh ever got rid of him, he would not be unemployed long.

1 hour ago, TUBSTER said:

My friend is a huge Steelers fan and he always says these things about Tomlin.  He won the Super Bowl with Cowhers team and was handed a franchise QB.  He plays down to competition a lot of the time.  And how did he not win with all the talent he had in the years with Bell, Brown, Wheaton, Bryant, and Big Ben.  I do hear that Steelers fans like complaining a lot, probably because they haven't really gone through too much hardship when it comes to football.  I think Tomlin is a good coach, but not a great one.

The reason Tomlin has only won one Super Bowl is because if you remove the obvious outlier, thet super bowls that people win is either one or zero. Tomlin's tenure isn't any different than Sean Payton's or Andy Reid's, I just think that in general people don't value stability when it comes to the NFL. 

Having to deal with brown and bell and still winning is largely the argument for Tomlin. Both of those guys were immature cancers that fell off immediately after leaving tomlin's team and who haven't recovered since. One of the biggest breaks Pittsburgh's probably got in the last few years is that bell decided not to take their money. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Has he established himself as one of the best coaches in the league?  Thoughts?  

I know from 2013-2018 they underachieved or couldn't get past New England.  And Pittsburgh fans wanted him gone.  Remember the game he tried to trip up a guy on a kick return? 

The AB meltdown and Bell drama could have broke a lot of teams, but they were right to cut Bell loose and trade AB.  How many teams overcome that?  You can definitely say it's Ben and I agree he's one of the best ever.  

I don't know it's odd.  There are times to me he looks like one of the best then there are weeks he looks like one of the worst.  They now expect to lose to a garbage team at least once a year in Pittsburgh.  

Got a kick out of this the other day...

Good coach but one who’s been greatly helped by joining a team of with Ben Roetisberger at QB and that has a stellar track record of developing and drafting players

17 hours ago, MJS said:

Seems like they inexplicably hate their team. It's a little strange to me.

Kinda the opposite of Bills mafia ... Pitt has so many Lombardy trophies that any season without one seems like a disappointment.  Is it possible to be too good for too many years?

2 hours ago, TUBSTER said:

Wheaton and Bryant? Seriously? They sucked.

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Kinda the opposite of Bills mafia ... Pitt has so many Lombardy trophies that any season without one seems like a disappointment.  Is it possible to be too good for too many years?

It's the same thing with Yankee fans. They demand excellence every single year and have a meltdown at the first sign of trouble, no matter how slight.

Our fans are polar opposites, they generally forgive the team regardless of how bad they play (most of the last 2 decades).

• Like (+1) 1

Does it really matter? 

By Badobills (sp) logic, Tomlin  is plain old fashion lucky, in which he inherited a dominant team, and any praise should go to the previous coaching staff. 

Now that’s not my thoughts on the matter, imo Tomlin has been an above average coach, being that his teams have been competitive as long as he has been the HC. 

Edited by Don Otreply

12 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

How many Superbowls does he have ?

The answer to that question will give you your answer

Other than Belichick, there isn't a single head coach in the league that has more than 1 Superbowl win.

So, no, that question doesn't really give us anything.

I think he was a good coach that's been there too long and just isn't that highly effective anymore.  Still good for 10 wins a year and make the playoffs, but not so sure he's going to be able to deliver a Super Bowl victory.

He won the SB in his second year essentially with most of Cowler's roster, people have knocked Gruden for doing the same in Tampa, only difference there was prior coach Dungy was fired, here Cowler retired.  Since then lost in one SB and one conference championship.  Other years mostly had early playoff losses.

Tomlin is Underrated and unappreciated.  If Steelers fans want him gone, cool.   He’ll have another job the next day.  They sound spoiled as hell.  

Under Tomlin’s watch they have never had to watch a below .500 team.  They are competitive every season even when there are serious injury issues on the roster.  Even when having to trot out Duck Hodge’s and Mason Rudolph.  No coach is perfect, but Tomlin is a leader and it comes through when Ben is out and AB was sitting out games and Bell was whining.  

Imagine having your team at 11-1 and mofo’s are complaining because games are won in a close fashion.  Now winning isn’t good enough?  Many of the Chiefs wins have been close too.  It’s the NFL.  There’s a reason most betting lines are under 7 points.  

7 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Good coach but one who’s been greatly helped by joining a team of with Ben Roetisberger at QB and that has a stellar track record of developing and drafting players

Please tell us what good coach doesn’t benefit from having a QB and good drafting?  The development is directly related to Tomlin and the staff he employs.