Week 14 Thursday Night Football: Rams vs. Patriots 8:20 pm on Fox

RaoulDuke79

2 hours ago, buffalo2218 said:

I might agree with that with the exception of one thing, the Pats don’t draft very well and with a possible decrease in the salary cap, Bellichek will have a hard time building a team with minimal to no talent. The opt outs from this year for all we know wouldn’t have made so much of an impact as to put them in a better position within the division.

The general consensus on this board for years is that a team needs a franchise quarterback for sustainable success. Bellichek has nothing resembling that

You are taking this way too far.  The Pats* are not in the basement, the draft comments are inaccurate, and they still have a top coaching staff.  They need a QB and a few weapons on offense and then they are a wildcard contender again.  

I loathe them as much as anyone, but I am cautious that their decline might not be as pronounced and as epic as that of the Buffalo/ Cleveland teams.  

I want them to suck for decades too but any conclusion other than this is a bad year for them, and they need a qb are off the mark.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bob in STL said:

You are taking this way too far.  The Pats* are not in the basement, the draft comments are inaccurate, and they still have a top coaching staff.  They need a QB and a few weapons on offense and then they are a wildcard contender again.  

I loathe them as much as anyone, but I am cautious that their decline might not be as pronounced and as epic as that of the Buffalo/ Cleveland teams.  

I want them to suck for decades too but any conclusion other than this is a bad year for them, and they need a qb are off the mark.  

If the Pats were any other franchise, I think the consensus would be that they are screwed in the near-term.  Even during the drought the Bills would usually be sniffing around at a Wild Card possibility this time of year, but always finishing up 7-9 or so.  That is where NE is now, with a better coaching staff for the time being.

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Doesn't where you were drafted play a role?

Methodology

App. V, §2 lays out the process of calculating the value of CFAs. §2(a) begins the calculation as follows to all players in the league

1. Start with the Average Per Year (APY) of the contract signed.
  2. Subtract from the APY any money that the compensatory formula does not count3
  3. Rank these players by adjusted APY in descending order, and assign points to each player, equal to [number of leaguewide players]-[rank].
  4. Add anywhere from 25 to 100 points for players who played a percentage of snaps on offense or defense in the range of 25% to 100%. (Kickers and punters are given a different point addition unrelated to snap counts.)
  5. Add 20 or 5 points for postseason honors as determined by the AP’s All Pro list, and the PFWA’s All NFL/All Conference list.

Once the Final Numerical Value (FNV) as described above has been tallied, each UFA is given a value that either assigns him as a CFA to a particular round, ranging from the 3rd to the 7th, or does not qualify him as a CFA at all. App. V, §3(b) sets these round cutoffs in a percentile manner, as follows:

Once each team’s list of CFAs lost and gained are determined and valued, one-to-one cancellations are applied.  Cancellations work as follows, as stated in App. V, §3(a):

1. A CFA gained by a team cancels out the highest-valued available CFA lost that has the same round valuation of the CFA gained.
  2. If there is no available CFA lost in the same round as the CFA gained, the CFA gained will instead cancel out the highest-available CFA lost with a lower round value.
  3. A CFA gained will only cancel out a CFA lost with a higher draft order if there are no other CFAs lost available to cancel out.

Any team that has more CFAs lost than CFAs gained will then be eligible for compensatory picks for the CFAs lost that were not cancelled out by CFAs gained.

Edited by JGMcD2

2 hours ago, Chuck Schick said:

If the Pats were any other franchise, I think the consensus would be that they are screwed in the near-term.  Even during the drought the Bills would usually be sniffing around at a Wild Card possibility this time of year, but always finishing up 7-9 or so.  That is where NE is now, with a better coaching staff for the time being.

As long as Belicheat is there, there's a chance.  But he won't be there for much longer.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

Jac Collinsworth has such a punchable face. Even moreso than his dad.

I thought that was a great interview.  Some of the better questions that I've seen Allen get. 

One thing that comes across loud and clear is that Allen is that rare person with immense raw talent combined with a blank canvas willingness to learn.  This whole experiment has worked because of this willingness and kudos to Bean and McD for seeing it in Allen back in 2018.

11 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Maybe they can pickup Drew Bledso when he becomes a free agent!

17 hours ago, buffalo2218 said:

I might agree with that with the exception of one thing, the Pats don’t draft very well and with a possible decrease in the salary cap, Bellichek will have a hard time building a team with minimal to no talent. The opt outs from this year for all we know wouldn’t have made so much of an impact as to put them in a better position within the division.

The general consensus on this board for years is that a team needs a franchise quarterback for sustainable success. Bellichek has nothing resembling that

True about the QB and the drafting.  And yet they are still competitive.  Many of those opt outs were starters for the Pats so I have to believe they would have been helpful.  And outside Gilmore and Thuney I’m not sure they have many other big ticket expenditures on their roster.  

I’m not saying the Patriots will be close to the dominant team of the past 20 years.  I’m just saying they will be competitive enough not to be overlooked.  The Bills and the Dolphins will need to play to their best level to put them away.