Week 12: Chargers at Bills

YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, eball said:

Biggest news on this report is Smoke still not practicing.  That’s big.

Norman’s last “injury” was COVID, hence that designation.

This has, thus far, been a lost year for Dawson’s Creek.

I think the biggest news is Allen no longer listed with the shoulder. First time since week 5.

• Like (+1) 5

Without doing a deep dive into all of the statistics  I did not know whether to think that Josh is just a warm weather QB, or if the absence of Smoke Brown is that important to the pass game.  But it seems that the best games were with Brown in good weather.  We struggled in Tennessee, where it was fair, without #15.   

So this week we will not have warm weather nor Smoke Brown, so that is one way to test variables.   However I would like to see the passing game with #15 in poorer weather. 

Just thinking this through.

17 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think the biggest news is Allen no longer listed with the shoulder. First time since week 5.

Doesn’t matter, according to Kurt Warner he’s a hack who only has good stats because of easy throws.  Doomed.

• Haha (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, eball said:

Doesn’t matter, according to Kurt Warner he’s a hack who only has good stats because of easy throws.  Doomed.

Whats interesting is 2019 Allen was hammered for not being good against man to man - but excelled at intermediate zones. Now suddenly "he sucks against zone because hard" without Warner mentioning Bown injury is big, 0 running game support, or his obvious dip in production as soon as the shoulder injury happened.

1 minute ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Did he say that?  C'mon man!

He implied "throwing against man to man is easy because you dont have to think, just pick a matchup you like and throw there." Im no football guru, but isnt most man to man also accompanied by some zone from safety/LB? If not accompanied with some zone then it usually has exotic blitzes mixed in

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Geeze Whees today's injury report:

image.thumb.png.e5c1ebaff7e692f5ad345948f37a11ea.png

Ford being still limited with ankle isn't what I'd like to see.

Epenesa back full, Taiwan Jones and Knox Full, good.

But what's with Norman being listed on the injury report with "illness"?

And as for Dawson Knox, what is he this year, a walking injury report? 

That was the knock on Knox coming out of college, was banged up quite often 

15 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

This is going to be a tougher game than the Charger's record suggests. The Bills better be firing on all cylinders Sunday. LAC is formidable on both sides of the ball. I don't get why they can't keep a lead. 

Defense, ST, running game, OL, in game coaching...all pretty bad. Good pass rushers but the rest of the D... not great 

Edited by YoloinOhio

I think we read way too much into the injury report and make way too many assumptions based off it. McD has become Belichickian in his use of the injury report and non answers during press conferences. I love that there are zero leaks and he’s keeping even guys like us who dissect this team to the atomic level off balance.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CNYfan said:

Without doing a deep dive into all of the statistics  I did not know whether to think that Josh is just a warm weather QB, or if the absence of Smoke Brown is that important to the pass game.  But it seems that the best games were with Brown in good weather.  We struggled in Tennessee, where it was fair, without #15.   

So this week we will not have warm weather nor Smoke Brown, so that is one way to test variables.   However I would like to see the passing game with #15 in poorer weather. 

I kind of throw out the Tennesse game late notice and played on Tuesday.  Even with the dropped pass Int Allen didnt play horrible.  With poor weather it is what it is.  Allen will be good for making some plays.  In those conditions a pass heavy approach is very limiting.  Those games are where you need balance and put pressure on the opposing team to score. 

With Brown out it makes the passing game more easily defendable and the offense needs another player to step up.  After the bye maybe Davis is ready maybe Singeltary or Moss step up and become a playmaker.

On 11/24/2020 at 4:54 PM, CincyBillsFan said:

For which season are you asking the question?  Back in the Ron Jaworski years or more recently?

When I think of Bills Eagles games, the only memorable one that comes to mind for me is the game, back in 1990 to be exact, when we had the Eagles backed up to their own 1 yard line, Bruce was about to sack Cunningham, but he ducked under him, got away, threw a 50 yard prayer up to Barnett, who caught it, the DB mis-played the ball and fell down, and Barnett ran the rest of the way in for the TD.   We still won the game, but it was a pretty damn impressive play.

Edited by smuvtalker
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, smuvtalker said:

When I think of Bills Eagles games, the only memorable one that comes to mind for me is the game when we had the Eagles backed up to their own 1 yard line, Bruce was about to sack Cunningham, but he ducked under him, got away, threw a 50 yard prayer up to Barnett, who caught it, the DB mis-played the ball and fell down, and Barnett ran the rest of the way in for the TD.   We still won the game, but it was a pretty damn impressive play.

That was the game where the Bills were first starting to display the power of their no-huddle offense.  They got up on the Eagles 24 - 0 in the 1st quarter which back then was unheard off.  The Bills almost lost the game because they didn't stick with the no-huddle the whole game.  They won 30 - 23.

• Like (+1) 1

Weather shaping up to be almost perfect for the game. 50 and sunny with a 10-15 mph breeze. Fireworks going to ensue on offense it looks like.

28 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

That was the game where the Bills were first starting to display the power of their no-huddle offense.  They got up on the Eagles 24 - 0 in the 1st quarter which back then was unheard off.  The Bills almost lost the game because they didn't stick with the no-huddle the whole game.  They won 30 - 23.

I remember that game too...2nd play of thr game was a 63 yard TD to Lofton because the Eagles got caught trying to substitute...that was the vaunted Buddy Ryan Eagle D...they were so winded and out of breath from trying to keep up with the Bills they called a basketball timeout on the second or third drive if I remember because they were just getting shredded...also seem to remember a large number of injured Eagle defenders that day who needed medical attention on the field but miraculously all came back in within a play or two...

Edited by matter2003
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, CNYfan said:

With Brown, we have a top of the line WR trio for Allen, with a good pass pro OL and not much else.   That’s enough to be dangerous with. 

Until Knox, Davis and/or the RB’s step up - take away Brown - and that leaves Allen with Diggs and Beasley... much, much easier to defend.  

John Brown being a top of the line #2 with speed is a huge differentiator between average and above average weapons for Allen, given our subpar RB/TE play so far this year. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Geeze Whees today's injury report:

image.thumb.png.e5c1ebaff7e692f5ad345948f37a11ea.png

Ford being still limited with ankle isn't what I'd like to see.

Epenesa back full, Taiwan Jones and Knox Full, good.

But what's with Norman being listed on the injury report with "illness"?

And as for Dawson Knox, what is he this year, a walking injury report? 

Positives to take away from this injury report:  only one player from the secondary on the list, and hopefully "illness" for Norman is something that won't keep him from being available Sunday.  

Negative:  Six of the nine players on the list are starters, and three of them are our top 3 DE's.  Wait, sorry bout that, Murphy is better than Epenesa. 

I REALLY, REALLY hope Brown will be 100% and ready to go Sunday.  We're a completely different offense with him in there, and I don't know if it's a Brown thing, or if it just comes with the territory, but ALL of his injuries are the variety that directly affect both his top end speed AND his quickness, making him virtually ineffective....

As for Knox, well, they say if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all, so..