Week 12: Chargers at Bills

YoloinOhio

I was pouring through some stats today and noticed a few things which I thought were interesting about our upcoming opponents:

Chargers are 3rd in yards per game, 3rd in passing yards per game, and 10th in rushing yards per game but middle of the pack in points per game.  Their red zone efficiency is 58% which is 21st in the league.  

Chargers defense is 11th ranked in terms of yards allowed per game but 9th worst in terms of points allowed per game. 

So how does a top offense and a solid defense translate to 3-7?!?!?

A deeper dive shows the Chargers glaring weakness is in turnover differential.  Chargers -3 on the year in turnover which is 11th worst in the league, however, they are average in committing turnovers.  Their turnover differential issue is all due to lack of takeaways.  They are the second worst in the league in generating takeaways.

Pittsburgh meanwhile has the best turnover differential in the league.  They have the most takeaways and 4th least turnovers.  The Titans commit by far the fewest turnovers followed by Chiefs, Packers, and Stillers.  This crazy differential in turnovers likely explains how an unremarkable Stillers offense and solid defense equals a perfect 10-0.

• Like (+1) 3

That's the chargers though.  They find ways to be good and lose.  The stripped interception return against NE in the AFC title game for one.  And the 2010 Chargers who were statistically the most dominant offense and defense in the league, but lost 7 games due to historically awful Special Teams play and missed the post season.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I was pouring through some stats today and noticed a few things which I thought were interesting about our upcoming opponents:

Chargers are 3rd in yards per game, 3rd in passing yards per game, and 10th in rushing yards per game but middle of the pack in points per game.  Their red zone efficiency is 58% which is 21st in the league.  

Chargers defense is 11th ranked in terms of yards allowed per game but 9th worst in terms of points allowed per game. 

So how does a top offense and a solid defense translate to 3-7?!?!?

A deeper dive shows the Chargers glaring weakness is in turnover differential.  Chargers -3 on the year in turnover which is 11th worst in the league, however, they are average in committing turnovers.  Their turnover differential issue is all due to lack of takeaways.  They are the second worst in the league in generating takeaways.

Pittsburgh meanwhile has the best turnover differential in the league.  They have the most takeaways and 4th least turnovers.  The Titans commit by far the fewest turnovers followed by Chiefs, Packers, and Stillers.  This crazy differential in turnovers likely explains how an unremarkable Stillers offense and solid defense equals a perfect 10-0.

I'd also argue the Rams are a bit stubborn running the ball.  While 10th in total rushing yds per game, they are 20th in yards per carry.  They aren't as successful running the ball as it may seem.

45 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

That's the chargers though.  They find ways to be good and lose.  The stripped interception return against NE in the AFC title game for one.  And the 2010 Chargers who were statistically the most dominant offense and defense in the league, but lost 7 games due to historically awful Special Teams play and missed the post season.

Yep, I agree with you.

Living in SoCal, while I don’t know much specifically about the team, in general they seem like a snake bit organization. They just find, and even invent, ways to lose.

They remind me of our bills during the bills drought.

54 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

I'd also argue the Rams are a bit stubborn running the ball.  While 10th in total rushing yds per game, they are 20th in yards per carry.  They aren't as successful running the ball as it may seem.

McVay at least needs to throw the threat to run to set up the play action game with Goff.

2 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Knee injuries are tough to overcome 

on top of the knee, he injured his ankle in the AZ game

2 hours ago, aristocrat said:

ugh brown with all that time off and still cant get healthy. brings such a dynamic to our offense. 

I'm not sure what "all that time off" means in this context?  Arguably part of Browns problem is that he tried to come back too early for the KC game and wound up reinjuring/being ineffective.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

on top of the knee, he injured his ankle in the AZ game

I'm not sure what "all that time off" means in this context?  Arguably part of Browns problem is that he tried to come back too early for the KC game and wound up reinjuring/being ineffective.

This is why I'd like for them to draft a player like Reggie Roberson. Another bigger (6' 200 lbs) speed demon is needed for the purposes of injuries. A playmaker 

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s day today day per mcdermott and almost never practices on Wednesdays so tomorrow and Friday will tell more. Not sure if it is a knee or ankle or both 

He just hurt his ankle in the last game. That’s a new injury. He went from foot to knee to ankle.

I thought someone said the Bills were giving the players Thanksgiving off? 

Which I'm not sure is a good idea - giving the players an extra day off may have messed us up against Tenn - but then there's the "Family man" aspect so....

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I thought someone said the Bills were giving the players Thanksgiving off? 

Which I'm not sure is a good idea - giving the players an extra day off may have messed us up against Tenn - but then there's the "Family man" aspect so....

i didn’t see that but if so that explains them practicing yesterday 

16 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Can't imagine that will help the Bills, unfortunately.

Since they didn’t have a game last week, they are practicing Tuesday, Wed and Fri this week instead of Wed, Thurs, Fri. They usually have Tuesdays off. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Geeze Whees today's injury report:

image.thumb.png.e5c1ebaff7e692f5ad345948f37a11ea.png

Ford being still limited with ankle isn't what I'd like to see.

Epenesa back full, Taiwan Jones and Knox Full, good.

But what's with Norman being listed on the injury report with "illness"?

And as for Dawson Knox, what is he this year, a walking injury report? 

Biggest news on this report is Smoke still not practicing.  That’s big.

Norman’s last “injury” was COVID, hence that designation.

This has, thus far, been a lost year for Dawson’s Creek.

• Like (+1) 1