Was Sam Darnold "Benched"

I put benched in quotes since he has an shoulder injury, but it seems to me the Jets have decided to move on, and so has Darnold

From the article - "Darnold, too, sounds different than a month ago. While expressing a desire to play and be with teammates, he said Monday, "I've got to think about me. Me injuring my right shoulder, it's definitely tough to kind of weigh all the options of what I can do. You start thinking about [it] in terms of just longevity and how I can further injure the shoulder. From where we're at right now with it, it's a good decision to be able to give it another week to heal up.""

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/84922/sudden-fall-jets-sam-darnold-goes-from-savior-to-potential-trade-chip

Just reading the tea leaves here, is Gase trying to win games so he is going with the veteran vs the guy he didnt draft? Is Darnold done as a jet and this "injury" going to linger for the rest of the year?

I think Sam is a tough sell if i'm needing a QB.  He's regressed so, so badly and I know it can be explained away by "the Jets", but you're trading (perhaps) a 2nd round pick for a guy that only has 1 year left on his deal before the option year kicks in.

15 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

I think the best thing for him is to get the heck out of there. I see Chicago as a possibility or New Orleans if Winston falters snd Brees retires. 

Could also add the Colts, Steelers, Bucs as possible spots. All three teams have QB's nearing the end. I could see Sam being a back up for a year or so (he is only 23) and taking over when those teams starters retire.

Edited by Greg S
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

I think the best thing for him is to get the heck out of there. I see Chicago as a possibility or New Orleans if Winston falters snd Brees retires. 

I would love to see him in NO with Payton, I think that would be a real opportunity for him to prove himself (either way). 

24 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

i wouldnt be shocked to see him in a pats jersey next year

I would be.  He’s a guy you thought enough of to draft 3rd overall.  You hold his rights, so worst case, you have a cheap(relatively speaking), young QB who is going to have to battle your new Rookie QB to start.  If he fails to win, he’s a guy you are happy to have at backup (assuming he keeps his mouth shut), so you have 2 good, young guys on your team driving each other and he walks at the end of next season.  If he wins the job, you now have the option to hold onto him and flip him for better picks after what you would assume is a good year.  So you control where he goes and get some decent compensation for him.  

There is no upside to dealing him to the Pats and you definitely should be able to get at least a late round pick for him, so he’s not getting cut.  If he catches on and does well, it looks horrible on you. And you gave a division rival their QB of the future, remember the kid should have another 10 years in him if it goes well.

I could see the Saints, Panthers, Bucs, Bears, Colts, maybe the WFT etc all willing to gamble a 3rd or more on a chance to have him in their building and see if he’s the next guy.