Was Sam Darnold "Benched"

On 11/18/2020 at 9:43 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh Wow, that really aged well. 

I don't think that hot take even stayed sizzling through the end of the game.

I don't know too much about Pittsburgs OC Randy Fichtner

You know anything about him?

I dont, i know that with the amount of picks that we have we will be able to add some talent in the draft, give me a FA WR and we will turn it around.

On 11/18/2020 at 7:54 PM, Putin said:

If Arizona could get a 2nd for Rosen I think the Jets should get at least that for Sam  , I still think he has potential to be a good starting QB 

I hope so, we can add to the draft picks we already have, only time will tell.

Many will argue that the Jets did not surround Darnold with enough of supporting cast. But the Bills surrounded Josh with mountains of hot garbage his rookie year and he still succeeded. Nate peterman was the veteran quarterback presence and Kelvin Benjamin was your number 1.  I mean, come on. The great ones will will find a way to rise above. 

On 11/23/2020 at 3:37 PM, Charles Romes said:

Many will argue that the Jets did not surround Darnold with enough of supporting cast. But the Bills surrounded Josh with mountains of hot garbage his rookie year and he still succeeded. Nate peterman was the veteran quarterback presence and Kelvin Benjamin was your number 1.  I mean, come on. The great ones will will find a way to rise above. 

Darnold just sucks.

Anything arguing otherwise can immediately be dismissed.

He sucks. Period.

2 minutes ago, Process said:

Jets offense fully healthy for what seems like the first time all year. On paper it's actually better than the dolphins.

If Tua starts I think the jets win this game

Don’t often root for the jets, but I would be all for that, as I believe any bills fan would be, 👍

On 11/19/2020 at 9:22 AM, Greg S said:

I wouldn't be to sure about that. Ben is nearing the end and if they win it all I could definitely see him retiring. Nothing left to prove. As I mentioned Pitt won't be picking at the top of the draft anytime soon so if they feel Darnold can be their QB of the future for the next 12-15 years then I could see them making a trade to acquiring him. Would backing up a future HOF for a year or so be a bad thing for Darnold?

It can't happen if the team isn't 100% sold on Darnold as their QB of the future.  He either gets his 5th year option picked up for around $20-25 million, or if he doesn't he's a free agent after next season.  So any team that picks him up is going to have a one year rental unless they are fully committed to Darnold & give him a multi-year contact after they trade for him.  The rookie contract & 5th year option make a Darnold trade difficult for the team acquiring him.  Since Tyrod was traded for a 3rd to be a 1 year rental then maybe Darnold could go for a low 2nd or a 3rd, but Cleveland was pretty dumb making the Taylor trade & the Jets would have to find a poorly managed team as their trade partner & one of the worst managed teams is eliminated since they can't trade him to themselves.  

On 11/18/2020 at 8:05 AM, SCBills said:

I think Sam is a tough sell if i'm needing a QB.  He's regressed so, so badly and I know it can be explained away by "the Jets", but you're trading (perhaps) a 2nd round pick for a guy that only has 1 year left on his deal before the option year kicks in.

I don’t think he’s necessarily regressed.  He’s just never ascended.  He’s the same as he was at USC:  well-liked, mobile, a gamer, makes some really high-end throws, but is a turnover machine.  In college a player can be an All-American with those traits.  The talent inequities allow those turnovers to have less dire results at times.  Not in the NFL though.  

And there’s no question the organization in New Jersey has done him a disservice.  But if he eventually winds up elsewhere I would bet we see the same guy, albeit with a bit more success, depending on the coaching/talent.  I don’t think he’ll ever be a lead dog type QB -meaning he’s carrying his team.  Maybe he’ll be a Tannehill type.

1 minute ago, Golden*Wheels said:

Last time I checked Sam was pretty good at losing games. Flacco is some golden ticket to Lawrence? They've been just as close (or not) the last couple games as they were with Sam.

Maybe Adam Gase is just...a clueless guy and a bad coach.

They will have their starting WR group for the first time with Darnold, and that group has been pretty good, so that’s where the optimism lies that they could shank the tank. Plus Flacco is a statue so defenses don’t need to worry about him running whereas Darnold has wheels 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Golden*Wheels said:

Last time I checked Sam was pretty good at losing games. Flacco is some golden ticket to Lawrence? They've been just as close (or not) the last couple games as they were with Sam.

Maybe Adam Gase is just...a clueless guy and a bad coach.

They're preparing for Lawrence to stay in school if they have the 1st overall, necessitating them sticking with/developing Darnold.