Was Sam Darnold "Benched"

19 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I would be.  He’s a guy you thought enough of to draft 3rd overall.  You hold his rights, so worst case, you have a cheap(relatively speaking), young QB who is going to have to battle your new Rookie QB to start.  If he fails to win, he’s a guy you are happy to have at backup (assuming he keeps his mouth shut), so you have 2 good, young guys on your team driving each other and he walks at the end of next season.  If he wins the job, you now have the option to hold onto him and flip him for better picks after what you would assume is a good year.  So you control where he goes and get some decent compensation for him.  

There is no upside to dealing him to the Pats and you definitely should be able to get at least a late round pick for him, so he’s not getting cut.  If he catches on and does well, it looks horrible on you. And you gave a division rival their QB of the future, remember the kid should have another 10 years in him if it goes well.

I could see the Saints, Panthers, Bucs, Bears, Colts, maybe the WFT etc all willing to gamble a 3rd or more on a chance to have him in their building and see if he’s the next guy. 

a lot of times you don’t want the energy of a young guy dealing with demotion in the building. At least in a new setting he can come in fired up for a fresh start without all the baggage

39 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I was about to get all incredulous about Jimmy G, but looking at his contract, the 9ers can move on from him next year for only $2M dead cap.

Interesting.

I think Jimmy G is done in San Fran. Not sure who their starter is in 2021 but pretty sure it ain't him.

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I was about to get all incredulous about Jimmy G, but looking at his contract, the 9ers can move on from him next year for only $2M dead cap.

Interesting.

They'll trade him, but i think ultimately thats where he wants to go.  I'm sure they wouldnt move in division, and probably out of conference so the teams are likely - SF, Chi, wash, NO if they can figure out their cap, 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Greg S said:

It's been a while since Jets fans said Darnold is better.

Last year I took a bus trip to opening day at the Jets.  A Jets fan in front of me started criticizing Josh with the usual inaccurate stuff.  I got so mad I told him Josh would end up in the Hall of Fame.  

I'd totally take him as a backup. Get him onto a team with continuity and with coaches who will work with him and develop him. Let him sit and learn behind Allen. He'd be a good backup, I'd bet.

But I bet there's a team out there willing to kick the tires and sign him as a starter.

1 hour ago, Buftex said:

That is what I am thinking too.

Thanks. Now I’m not gonna sleep tonight.

my opinion, we and the rest of the League have seen the best of Sam Darnold. While he was clearly the most ‘pro ready’ at draft time, he’s hasn’t improved at anything. His ceiling was at USC and he’s been found out and floundering ever since. Flacco is better. Again, my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Thanks. Now I’m not gonna sleep tonight.

my opinion, we and the rest of the League have seen the best of Sam Darnold. While he was clearly the most ‘pro ready’ at draft time, he’s hasn’t improved at anything. His ceiling was at USC and he’s been found out and floundering ever since. Flacco is better. Again, my opinion.

This is kind of my point. Are the Jets done with Darnold, but want to hold his value. So he's "hurt" while they go with Flacco

• Like (+1) 1

I think it’s fair to say that Sam Darnolds NFL career is all but over, he was incredibly unfortunate to be drafted by the jets, and they did a horrific job of creating a team around their number one pick, crap for ownership, crap for a HCs, 98% crap for at GMs. Darnold is on the verge of having a fork put in him, he is all but done. Poor bastard, could of been a good QB in the league with almost any other team, oh well... do we feel bad for him here at TSW? 

9 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

It's an obvious tank job.  They had the Pats beat 2 weeks ago.                       

I can't imagine the players are tanking. They have to have some pride and who wants to go into the history books as an 0-16 team. The 84 and 85 Bills sucked but they don't stand out because they won 2 games each year. Everyone will remember a winless season.

More than 50% of QB rank lists by NFL analysts had Darnold ahead of Josh as recently as 11 weeks ago, which now looks as nuts as we all thought it did then.

The only teams who'd consider trading for Darnold would be the ones who need a young QB & don't have an early enough pick to draft one. That leaves the Colts, Bears, & maybe Steelers or Pats.

I don't think the 49ers move on from Jimmy G unless it's for a QB that's proven to be better. Darnold hasn't shown anything close to that.

2 hours ago, dneveu said:

I'm thinking San Francisco.  

This was my thought as well. I believe he ends up in SF next year and plays at a more consistent level under Shanahan. I think they send Jimmy G packing and he ends up back in NE with Belicheat/McDaniels. 

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

a lot of times you don’t want the energy of a young guy dealing with demotion in the building. At least in a new setting he can come in fired up for a fresh start without all the baggage

I can see that point as well, if that’s the case, then I’d control where he goes, specifically out of the division and more ideally to the NFC.  The worst case for your team is to trade him to a divisional opponent, then have the 💡 come on.  He torments you for the next 10 years.