Was Sam Darnold "Benched"

8 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'd be happy for Sam to hear he has successfully figured out a way to bench himself and protect any semblance of a career that he might find elsewhere.

Management has handled him horribly. He will be better off with another organization, this one cant get out of its own way. Its a 3 year cycle, rinse and repeat. Oh well!

13 minutes ago, Bleedingreennc said:

Management has handled him horribly. He will be better off with another organization, this one cant get out of its own way. Its a 3 year cycle, rinse and repeat. Oh well!

Where do you think do you think would be a good place for him and what do you think the could get for him as far as draft picks ? 
In my opinion I think the Colts would be the best place for him 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Putin said:

Where do you think do you think would be a good place for him and what do you think the could get for him as far as draft picks ? 

Honestly he would be a good fit in Pitt to back up Ben for the time being. Im thinking a 3rd would be the most we would get.

1 minute ago, Bleedingreennc said:

Honestly he would be a good fit in Pitt to back up Ben for the time being. Im thinking a 3rd would be the most we would get.

If Arizona could get a 2nd for Rosen I think the Jets should get at least that for Sam  , I still think he has potential to be a good starting QB 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Cards fleeced a 2nd rounder for a malcontent that had lead in his feet. I think Darnold has more value than that, he's more athletic (although I might be at this point too 😁), played on the worst team with a 1/2 wit for a HC. Plus there appears to be more needy teams this year. If the Jets are smart (did I just type that), I would not be surprised if he goes for a late 1st rounder. Let the bidding begin.

• Like (+1) 1

cwzr7a6.jpg

22 minutes ago, qwksilver said:

The Cards fleeced a 2nd rounder for a malcontent that had lead in his feet. I think Darnold has more value than that, he's more athletic (although I might be at this point too 😁), played on the worst team with a 1/2 wit for a HC. Plus there appears to be more needy teams this year. If the Jets are smart (did I just type that), I would not be surprised if he goes for a late 1st rounder. Let the bidding begin.

If he goes for a late 1st the Saints feel like an obvious choice as expect Brees to retire after this season and don't see Winston or Hill as NFL QBs.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

cwzr7a6.jpg

If he goes for a late 1st the Saints feel like an obvious choice as expect Brees to retire after this season and don't see Winston or Hill as NFL QBs.

They are definitely on the short list, you could add the Steelers as well. I'm not sure at those prices that 49ers are in the bidding.

7 minutes ago, Just in Atlanta said:

Yes. On Twitter. Said he’s always said that and that Darnold was proving him right.

Oh Wow, that really aged well. 

I don't think that hot take even stayed sizzling through the end of the game.

1 hour ago, Bleedingreennc said:

I don't know too much about Pittsburgs OC Randy Fichtner

You know anything about him?

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't know too much about Pittsburgs OC Randy Fichtner

You know anything about him?

Played DB in college and like his father was a DB for .Purdue University.

After college was a graduate assistant and then a collage coach; interestingly never on defense side of ball.

Was signed by Steelers in 2007 from Memphis where he was QB/OC coach  and replaced Bruce Arians who was WR coach.

He worked his way up from WR coach to QB coach to OC for Steelers.

His offense philosophy is basically same game Pittsburg has been playing for 2 decades.

15 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Just reading the tea leaves here, is Gase trying to win games so he is going with the veteran vs the guy he didnt draft?

Gase was promised safety this year and will be back next season. I'd bet a dollar on it. 

17 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

I think the best thing for him is to get the heck out of there. I see Chicago as a possibility or New Orleans if Winston falters snd Brees retires. 

The game hasn’t even started and Winston threw two pics in early early warmups.  As much as I don’t like the Jets, then again all of our divisional rivals, I truly hope Darnold can rehab his career.  I still contend he’d fit perfect in a system with a good team with a QB getting closer to the end.  I’d love to see him in Pittsburgh.  A great team, solid defense and weapons, and Big Ben will only last so long with the hits he’s received.  Darnold could get his bad habits fixed in time, and possibly take over at one point.  

New Orleans is a good team, but I can’t see Brees making it another year.  The other downside is NO is over the cap next year to approximately $81 mil.

12 hours ago, Putin said:

I would like to see Darnold go to the Saints, I think he would transform overnight into a good QB. The Colts would be another good choice.

20 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I like Darnold but I’m not giving up more than a 4th to get him. 

Cleveland traded a high 3rd for Tyrod and Miami gave away a 2nd for Rosen, so anything is possible, but I think you’re right.  I personally wouldn’t trade anything of value for Darnold, but some team will probably give up a 3rd.

12 hours ago, Putin said:

Colts would be a great landing place for any QB.  They have a very good defense, excellent OL, pretty good offensive weapons and a very good offensive-minded coach.

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

Cleveland traded a high 3rd for Tyrod and Miami gave away a 2nd for Rosen, so anything is possible, but I think you’re right.  I personally wouldn’t trade anything of value for Darnold, but some team will probably give up a 3rd.

I could see the Steelers doing it. Darnold was the #3 pick in 2018. Pitt never drafts that high. They probably see potential with Sam and figure the Jets ****ed him up. Last season the Steelers struggled so badly without Ben that they definitely want to avoid that scenario again. Ben is nearing end and Pitt won't be drafting in the very top end of the draft anytime soon. Darnold is also only 23 so with a good organization like Pitt he could probably have a very successful career.

10 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I could see the Steelers doing it. Darnold was the #3 pick in 2018. Pitt never drafts that high. They probably see potential with Sam and figure the Jets ****ed him up. Last season the Steelers struggled so badly without Ben that they definitely want to avoid that scenario again. Ben is nearing end and Pitt won't be drafting in the very top end of the draft anytime soon. Darnold is also only 23 so with a good organization like Pitt he could probably have a very successful career.

But Darnold won’t beat out Big Ben next year and there’s no way they would pick up his 5th year option at this point, so how does it make sense for the Steelers?  Makes no sense unless Roethlisberger retires, and I doubt he will.

17 hours ago, Buftex said:

You may be right.  But he has been on a really dysfunctional team, with the proverbial "no receivers".  I know it is a common excuse, but every now and again I see him play, and I still get the impression that he could be a decent QB.  But hell, I thought the same thing about Josh Rosen.  I guess I just don't feel like time with the Jets can be counted as the "final" say on his career. 

Man, that 2018 QB class was so highly thought of and got off to a good start.  Rosen now looks like a bust. Mayfield and Darnold have regressed and Lamar Jackson may be also.

Josh Allen looks like the best right now.

From prior drafts, Wentz, Goff and Trubisky have regressed.  It’ll be interesting to see if this year’s rookies can maintain their level of play.

37 minutes ago, mannc said:

But Darnold won’t beat out Big Ben next year and there’s no way they would pick up his 5th year option at this point, so how does it make sense for the Steelers?  Makes no sense unless Roethlisberger retires, and I doubt he will.

I wouldn't be to sure about that. Ben is nearing the end and if they win it all I could definitely see him retiring. Nothing left to prove. As I mentioned Pitt won't be picking at the top of the draft anytime soon so if they feel Darnold can be their QB of the future for the next 12-15 years then I could see them making a trade to acquiring him. Would backing up a future HOF for a year or so be a bad thing for Darnold?

• Like (+1) 1