CB Daryl Worley visiting Bills *Signed 11/3 [Mod Edited]

BillsMafi$

8 minutes ago, wjag said:

Isn't there a reason they are EX-panthers?  just saying.  That well has been a dry hole for a few years now.

Its hard for guys to come in and learn a defensive system in the middle of a season and make an impact. This guy knows the system and probably the best guy sitting out on the street. 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Its hard for guys to come in and learn a defensive system in the middle of a season and make an impact. This guy knows the system and probably the best guy sitting out on the street. 

Lotulelei,  Addison, Klein, Norman.........all well paid defenders from Carolina who weren't brought in "middle of a season".

While I agree in principle with your point it's by no means accurate to downplay their attraction to former Panthers............it's a real thing and its not yielded well at all.

It might be time this offseason for McD to broaden his horizons defensively and for Beane to stop tryna' catch every stray Panther.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Lotulelei,  Addison, Klein, Norman.........all well paid defenders from Carolina who weren't brought in "middle of a season".

While I agree in principle with your point it's by no means accurate to downplay their attraction to former Panthers............it's a real thing and its not yielded well at all.

It might be time this offseason for McD to broaden his horizons defensively and for Beane to stop tryna' catch every stray Panther.

On the one hand, I Hear You, and part of me agrees.

On the other hand, it is worth noting that Beane and McDermott have faced a conundrum: because the Bills were a national Joke for a long time, free agents look at us like so much moldy kim-chee and go elsewhere in droves.  They want to play for a contender (or failing that, warm weather).  Which makes it harder to build a contender.

Realistically, their choices are constrained at times by whether or not the FA are willing to sign here, and familiarity with the coach and his system may tip the scales.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

On the other hand, it is worth noting that Beane and McDermott have faced a conundrum: because the Bills were a national Joke for a long time, free agents look at us like so much moldy kim-chee and go elsewhere in droves.  They want to play for a contender (or failing that, warm weather).  Which makes it harder to build a contender.

Realistically, their choices are constrained at times by whether or not the FA are willing to sign here, and familiarity with the coach and his system may tip the scales.

I agree,  it's not an attractive destination for free agents.

But it's complicated..........because they chose to tear down a roster that really should have made the playoffs the prior 2 seasons.

Then they have been very pedestrian at drafting and developing their own talent.

So they have been forced to do a lot more shopping than they would have if they had adapted systems to personnel and weren't drafting to fill needs created by their own roster turnover.

Ultimately........with so much cap money now gone and ear marked to home grown talent...........turning around the tide with free agents will be about Josh Allen looking like a great QB to hitch their wagon to.   

Yet another reason why I have been so much more about bolstering the offensive personnel than tryna' patch up the defense.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

With respect I think that’s a cop out.  The real problem, I suspect, is that Beane does not trust his own ability to scout (and/or to analyze the evaluations his scouts give him).  And based on the results, he shouldn’t.  I think he falls back on the Panthers’ pro personnel evaluations because they were done with McDermott/Rivera’s defense in mind and he doesn’t think he has to worry as much about fit that way.  But the players in question have aged 2-5 years and the defense itself has gotten a bit stale.

What this team needs is a fresh approach to college and pro scouting and a lot more self-scouting to understand why it’s defensive strategy has been figured out by offensive coordinators.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/30/2020 at 5:05 PM, Process said:

Another crappy ex panther. Awesome. 

When does it end?

Once we sign every player that was on the Panthers when Mcd and beans were there it'll end. Plus most of the guys are getting older so we are almost there. Still gotta sign cam next year tho as a backup cause Panthers 🤷🏻‍♂️

21 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

That is the Pitts for Lafayette.

20 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

Wow HIQ Dolphins fan your hate for the Bills is at such a high level. They have familiarity and at times they have gotten end of roster or rotation players to contribute. STAR and Marlowe come to mind. If given player A and B with similar skill sets knowing a player can be the deciding factor. Have they missed absolutely. But it’s what many teams do. Even the division winner to be Dolphins do it. 

You think he actually watches football?

42 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

Once we sign every player that was on the Panthers when Mcd and beans were there it'll end. Plus most of the guys are getting older so we are almost there. Still gotta sign cam next year tho as a backup cause Panthers 🤷🏻‍♂️

Bills skipped Cam when they could have signed him to keep from P*ts.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

That is the Pitts for Lafayette.

You think he actually watches football?

Bills skipped Cam when they could have signed him to keep from P*ts.

That's because Cam's the 2021 backup! Barkley and Fromm are the physical opposite of Allen. Cam isn't playing poorly enough to wash out of the league entirely, but not well enough anyone will want him to start either. 

Removing the Panthers connection entirely, it makes sense. Play style wise there's not going to be anyone available any more similar to Allen than Cam, and it makes it so you don't have to completely change the offense to bring in one of the noodle arm mayo sandwiches they have backing Allen up now.

15 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

With respect I think that’s a cop out.  The real problem, I suspect, is that Beane does not trust his own ability to scout (and/or to analyze the evaluations his scouts give him).  And based on the results, he shouldn’t.  I think he falls back on the Panthers’ pro personnel evaluations because they were done with McDermott/Rivera’s defense in mind and he doesn’t think he has to worry as much about fit that way.  But the players in question have aged 2-5 years and the defense itself has gotten a bit stale.

What this team needs is a fresh approach to college and pro scouting and a lot more self-scouting to understand why it’s defensive strategy has been figured out by offensive coordinators.

I was going to write something similar to this. I've been wondering if Beane doesn't trust his pro-scouting department. There are 30 other teams out there (besides Bills and Panthers). Why keep going back to the Carolina pipeline?

I haven't been critical of the Panther tendency in the past. But enough staying in your comfort zone. This defense needs a jolt. Staying in your safe-space won't provide this and neither will Worley (in all likelihood). If we're going to sign a low level CB, then fine. I agree that this is a big need. I find it hard to believe; however, that one of those other 30 teams doesn't have a practice squad player with more potential than Worley.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/3/2020 at 3:45 PM, jeremy2020 said:

I see we're still freaking out about practice squad players. Very good. Carry on.

This is what I don't understand- PS is for guys you either want to groom or guys that might step in quickly. Familiarity is a good thing for a guy there. If he sucks no damage.