CB Daryl Worley visiting Bills *Signed 11/3 [Mod Edited]

BillsMafi$

17 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Let’s look at all the ex panthers that have been signed by Beane.  You tell me which ones were good signings:

FB Mike Tolbert
DE Ryan Davis
WR Philly Brown
CB Leonard Johnson
WR Kaelin Clay
QB/ST Joe Webb
WR Kelvin Benjamin
S L.J. McCray
S Dean Marlowe

DT Star Lotulelei
DT Robert Thomas
OL Jeremiah Sirles
QB Derek Anderson

S Kurt Coleman
CB Captain Munnerlyn

CB Josh Norman
DT Vernon Butler
LB A.J. Klein
EDGE Mario Addison

OL Daryl Williams 

I count 1 good signing, and 2 decent signings and 18 WTF signings.

Nonsense. Your count there says far more about you than it does about those players or the F.O.  How is it bad to bring in, for instance, Philly Brown on a $690K one-year contract with no signing bonus, and cut him. Is it somehow bad to pay a guy training camp money to come in and be a training camp body? Nonsense. You're supposed to do that with 30 or 35 guys every year. In fact, you have to. It's not a failure. It's business as usual for every single NFL team. 

Or Jeremiah Sires, who signed a one-year deal for $650,588? Love how he got that extra $588. He turned out to be a bubble guy who stuck around for the season and saw a bit of time on STs and as a third-stringer injury replacement. And that's how he was paid. That's not a bad pickup, it's just fine, particularly in a rebuild year when we were having major cap pressure and were going to have to bring in a bunch of extra low-pricers. We got what we paid for, and that's a lot of the guys on these lists, Philly Browns who cost virtually nothing and were training camp bodies or vet minimum third stringers.

As Hapless said, most of those guys were brought in at minimum salaries, many let go without seeing a game check. Bringing a guy in as a camp body and cutting him isn't a bad signing. It's just fine. And that's how most of this list came in.

Your list had 21 people, but included Kaelin Clay twice, so taking out one of the Clays leaves us with 20 guys. Here's how they look relative to their contracts:

Those just fine, no problem vet min or camp guys: Ryan Davis, Philly Brown, Leonard Johnson, Jeremiah Sirles, Mike Tolbert, Kaelin Clay, L.J. McCray, Captain Munnerlyn, Joe Webb, Robert Thomas

Bad Signing: Benjamin

Good signings: Lotulelei, Anderson, Marlowe, Coleman who had a vet min type contract and outplayed that, Daryl Williams

Decent signing so far at least, but could still go either way:  Josh Norman

Overpaid so far but it's still to early to be sure:  A.J. Klein, Mario Addison, Vernon Butler

Most would disagree with me on a guy here and there, but overall that's not bad so far.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 5

33 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

Another former Panther from a horrendous team that is allowing 35+ points a game, and if he the Bills end up signing him at what point does the media call this regime out for the inability to look at 30 other NFL teams for talent?

Outside of the 2015 SB season in Carolina, this is not a franchise that was churning out probowl players and division titles/playoff wins year after year like the Pats, Steelers, Ravens, etc which also makes the Beane and McClap hires look less than stellar in hindsight.

The Beane and McDermott hires look terrific so far. 

When does the media call them out for their inability to look at 30 other teams for talent? When they don't look at 30 other teams for talent. Which simply hasn't happened so far. If you go look at the 80 man rosters for camps the last four years you'll find how many total guys were brought in? 140? 150? And the list of Panthers comes to 20 if you use the one posted above? 

Please. Sad argument.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

Is he better than Taron Johnson as a nickel corner? Yep. He's good against the run and was very good for the Raiders last year. Fits the defense and is only 25.

I don't see how people are against this move. This guy didn't forget how to play. Really talented players are looking like garbage on that Dallas defense. Coaching matters.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

This is a terrible take.  

You’re literally telling this guy that he shouldn’t be on this board because he trusts his GM to do the right thing.  Why can’t a bills fan enjoy the forums AND trust his GM to do his thing without ripping him apart?  His post has 8 likes.  Let’s see how many yours gets.

There are several members of TBD that trust what their Gm is doing.  There are several that don’t trust anything the Gm does. There are several that are a bit of both.  And that’s ok.  That’s why this place is so enjoyable.  Lots of different opinions and ways of thinking. 

I respect you as a poster.  You have some great takes.  This isn’t one of them.  Who are you to tell someone that this message board isn’t for them because they trust what the Gm is doing?  Not every bills fan studies and knows everything about every player like some do.  

Thanks for the respectful take.  I am not saying that he shouldn’t be here and I think you’re missing my point.  I despise anyone telling people to not think for themselves and have an opinion of their own - to just blindly trust a GM, HC, owner, (politician), etc.  I’m saying that message boards like this should be more than a rah rah circle jerk and that real football discussions are an important part of what makes TBD and boards like it great places.  For someone to simply dismiss other people’s opinions with a “you don’t know as much as our GM/HC so you’re wrong” is, quite frankly, very disrespectful.  And it was also written in a pretty flippant tone.

I have no problem with someone trusting our GM and it’s their right to do so blindly.  But if they’re disrespectful and dismissive of those that make a real effort to form their own opinions when they aren’t bother to do so themselves, then I’m not going to respect their takes. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, BillsCuse said:

If he signs, it would be a depth signing for probably low $ - in the middle of the season for a position that has had injury issues all year.  Dont know why anyone would b!tch about this move.  If he doesn't work out then cut him and move on

Getting a good look at him is fine. As with any player they feel well enough to invest the time and effort. Worst case you have the guys current Bio and can put him on speed dial if an injury comes up.
and you can also take notes , just in case you will be playing against him.

But as i mentioned upstream , i feel Bills might do better elsewhere

Go Bils

19 minutes ago, BillsCuse said:

If he signs, it would be a depth signing for probably low $ - in the middle of the season for a position that has had injury issues all year.  Dont know why anyone would b!tch about this move.  If he doesn't work out then cut him and move on

Just as bad as the people with absolute blind faith in Beane/McD are the posters who immediately ***** on a potential personnel move purely because that player has ties to Carolina.

I don’t really know a lot about Worley, but I do recall him playing pretty well for the Raiders last season.  He been playing poorly on perhaps the worst defense in the NFL this season.  It’s a position where we need more depth due to injuries.  I don’t get what the problem is.  If he’s signed it will probably be to the practice squad.  Some people are just content to be miserable I guess 🤷🏾‍♂️

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Thanks for the respectful take.  I am not saying that he shouldn’t be here and I think you’re missing my point.  I despise anyone telling people to not think for themselves and have an opinion of their own - to just blindly trust a GM, HC, owner, (politician), etc.  I’m saying that message boards like this should be more than a rah rah circle jerk and that real football discussions are an important part of what makes TBD and boards like it great places.  For someone to simply dismiss other people’s opinions with a “you don’t know as much as our GM/HC so you’re wrong” is, quite frankly, very disrespectful.  And it was also written in a pretty flippant tone.

I have no problem with someone trusting our GM and it’s their right to do so blindly.  But if they’re disrespectful and dismissive of those that make a real effort to form their own opinions when they aren’t bother to do so themselves, then I’m not going to respect their takes. 

Gotcha.  I digg!

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

So you’re saying that Worley won’t be any good then? I tend to keep quiet when I don’t know what I’m talking bout.. I will trust Beane and McD over my opinion any day... but I am growing frustrated with the concept of signing every former ex-Panther to a deal when they hit free agency.. I can understand if that player is truly good but at this point we’re turning into the Carolina Bills.. familiarity is a great thing — but if you limit yourself to only players you’re familiar with then I think you’re limiting yourself in a pretty big way.. especially if the players you’re signing are from cellar dwelling teams.. I too disapprove of the rah rah circle jerks... I would rather that we are honest with our feelings.. Some posters like to talk us up after a win, only to have a meltdown after every loss.. I think those people are my least favorite... I tend to lurk more than I post... 99% of the time I spend here is reading.... YMMV

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

So you’re saying that Worley won’t be any good then? I tend to keep quiet when I don’t know what I’m talking bout.. I will trust Beane and McD over my opinion any day... but I am growing frustrated with the concept of signing every former ex-Panther to a deal when they hit free agency.. I can understand if that player is truly good but at this point we’re turning into the Carolina Bills.. familiarity is a great thing — but if you limit yourself to only players you’re familiar with then I think you’re limiting yourself in a pretty big way.. especially if the players you’re signing are from cellar dwelling teams.. I too disapprove of the rah rah circle jerks... I would rather that we are honest with our feelings.. Some posters like to talk us up after a win, only to have a meltdown after every loss.. I think those people are my least favorite... I tend to lurk more than I post... 99% of the time I spend here is reading.... YMMV

You know nothing of Worley, and yet you seem to have a pretty strong opinion about him 🤔

Maybe lurking is more your thing 😒

22 hours ago, NewEra said:

Is it coincidence that two recently cut players that could potentially help us are 2 ex panthers?  Really shocked that we haven’t brought Poe in for a talk, but I also haven’t watched him play this year.  I hear it’s bad

This panther agenda is overstated. These dudes played like a season each for Carolina, Poe was there when neither Beane or Sean was. When starters become available because of a teams bad performance, you absolutely take a look. These guys come on the cheap without giving up an capital.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

You know nothing of Worley, and yet you seem to have a pretty strong opinion about him 🤔

Maybe lurking is more your thing 😒

How can I not be blown away by a corner who got cut by a 2-5 team that boasts of one of the worst defenses in the league? My friend, are you telling me that you are an expert on Worley? I told you why I’m concerned, now you tell me why you think he’s a good player.. Tell me why he’ll be good friend.

16 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

What's terrific about them? 2 one and done playoff appearances after 17 years of ineptitude and failure? The 2017 playoff season was pure luck and with a roster built mostly by Whaley and Rex Ryan.

Where is all the probowl and elite talent they've drafted? (Milano and White weren't even drafted by Beane)

3-15 entering 2020 against teams that made the playoffs once the 16 week schedule was over (including a Titans team without Tannenhill starting last year)

0-6 against the Patriots

I get that for some younger fans that weren't around or too young to remember the 90's probably think the last 3 years are cloud nine, but compared to most other powerhouse franchises both Beane and McClappy are at the very bottom of the totem pole in their respective roles and at best the equivalent of the Bengals teams under Marvin Lewis that were able to make the playoffs a few years but mostly mired in mediocrity over the totality of that regime.

Bigger issue though is ownership and why this team will never probably never go anywhere of note after this regime fizzles completely in the next few years and is a dire salary cap situation again.

Sounds like you need to find a new team brah 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

How can I not be blown away by a corner who got cut by a 2-5 team that boasts of one of the worst defenses in the league? My friend, are you telling me that you are an expert on Worley? I told you why I’m concerned, now you tell me why you think he’s a good player.. Tell me why he’ll be good friend.

I know he’s a big, physical corner (#9 ranked CB in run defense his rookie year).  He won the starting CB job opposite James Bradberry early in his rookie year in Carolina and played pretty well.  His career has been derailed by poor decisions and subsequent suspensions.   Hopefully he has moved past that.  Certainly the culture and leadership in Buffalo couldn’t hurt.

I also know that he can play all over the field.  He can play outside, slot or safety.  I know that just about every Bills reporter I have read has endorsed this as a good depth signing for Buffalo.  He was playing on arguably the worst defense in the NFL, so there’s a chance that he might play better in a familiar system with much better players.

I’m not 100% sure Worley would be a good signing, but I know enough to do my research before I condemn him based on the team that drafted him 🤷🏾‍♂️

Friend-o 😘

13 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

What's terrific about them? 2 one and done playoff appearances after 17 years of ineptitude and failure? The 2017 playoff season was pure luck and with a roster built mostly by Whaley and Rex Ryan.

Where is all the probowl and elite talent they've drafted? (Milano and White weren't even drafted by Beane)

3-15 entering 2020 against teams that made the playoffs once the 16 week schedule was over (including a Titans team without Tannenhill starting last year)

0-6 against the Patriots

I get that for some younger fans that weren't around or too young to remember the 90's probably think the last 3 years are cloud nine, but compared to most other powerhouse franchises both Beane and McClappy are at the very bottom of the totem pole in their respective roles and at best the equivalent of the Bengals teams under Marvin Lewis that were able to make the playoffs a few years but mostly mired in mediocrity over the totality of that regime.

Bigger issue though is ownership and why this team will never probably never go anywhere of note after this regime fizzles completely in the next few years and is a dire salary cap situation again.

You’re insufferable. It’s the same post regurgitated on every thread. 

You keep saying the playoff season in 2017 was pure luck. They didn’t make the playoffs because they had the record and the necessary tiebreakers? The team got lucky week in and week out? Nobody in the front office or on the coaching staff did anything to contribute to making the playoffs?

“Compared to most powerhouse franchises” list those off for me and let’s look at the path it took for the organization to become a powerhouse franchise. If all of them happened overnight then you win and I’ll delete my account.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I know he’s a big, physical corner (#9 ranked CB in run defense his rookie year).  He won the starting CB job opposite James Bradberry early in his rookie year in Carolina and played pretty well.  His career has been derailed by poor decisions and subsequent suspensions.   Hopefully he has moved past that.  Certainly the culture and leadership in Buffalo couldn’t hurt.

I also know that he can play all over the field.  He can play outside, slot or safety.  I know that just about every Bills reporter I have read has endorsed this as a good depth signing for Buffalo.  He was playing on arguably the worst defense in the NFL, so there’s a chance that he might play better in a familiar system with much better players.

I’m not 100% sure Worley would be a good signing, but I know enough to do my research before I condemn him based on the team that drafted him 🤷🏾‍♂️

Friend-o 😘

Well done... copied and pasted right of his Wikipedia page. 🤣😆🤣

You knew less than I did before you posted your quirky response..

4 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Well done... copied and pasted right of his Wikipedia page. 🤣😆🤣

You knew less than I did before you posted your quirky response..

No.  I actually watched him play a lot during his rookie year.  I used to live in Charlotte.  I read up on him as soon as I heard he was visiting Buffalo.  I’ll admit I didn’t know much about him after he got suspended in Oakland, but you don’t seem to know ***** about anything, so I got one up on you for sure 😂

What you’re posting here is a little B word move.  What have you offered to this thread? Nothing.  Go back to lurking.

7 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

No.  I actually watched him play a lot during his rookie year.  I used to live in Charlotte.  I read up on him as soon as I heard he was visiting Buffalo.  I’ll admit I didn’t know much about him after he got suspended in Oakland, but you don’t seem to know ***** about anything, so I got one up on you for sure 😂

What you’re posting here is a little B word move.  What have you offered to this thread? Nothing.  Go back to lurking.

Alrighty then! 😆

im sure Daryl Worley will have an outstanding career in Buffalo my friend! I say Worley sucks, you don’t. Nothing left to say, other than let’s wait and see..