Jerry Hughes named AFC Defensive Player of the Week

YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Congrats Jerry.  It is sad and stupid that Bass did not get the ST player of the week....six field goals including two clutch game FG in 4th quarter. 

I don't think he should have cause he missed 2 of them. 75% isn't that good.

12 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I think his 2 misses were a knock against him, acceptably so.

I think it would be fairer to compare what the guy who won did.  If you did relative comparing, I think he did a wonderful job.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He rushed from both sides

He was mostly lined up on the left.  That’s his position now.  If Addison is out and Jerry is out there, Jerry might play RDE but Jerry is officially our LDE.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/buffalonews.com/sports/bills/upon-further-review-jerry-hughes-breakout-game-keys-defensive-turnaround/article_c9530cc0-179e-11eb-90ad-6fb6eba4f7aa.amp.html

"He was dominant," defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier said. "Even the time where he didn’t sack the quarterback, he did a great job of putting pressure on their passing game and did a good job in the run game as well. He was really stout playing the left end position.

That's a new spot for Hughes, who has traditionally been the Bills' No. 1 defensive end on the right side. With the team adding Mario Addison in free agency, however, Hughes agreed to switch sides.

"Jerry’s gotten better and better on the left side," Frazier said. "Yesterday was like a coming out for him on the left side of the line and rushing from that side. It was dominant on tape and we needed him. That was big for us."

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

On 10/28/2020 at 6:44 AM, YoloinOhio said:

For those who watched his matchups, was he mostly lined up against Becton or did he move around like in past weeks?

All I know is Jets fans were saying Becton had a down game.

Edited by Warcodered

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Good for him but dude is so overrated here.  He has like 3 good games a yeas. 

He's had a rough season overall but I see him criticized more often than I see him praised so I wouldn't use the term overrated.  All that said, I'll always remember that we got him for useless Kelvin Sheppard so everything good he does is still gravy.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, StHustle said:

I don't think he should have cause he missed 2 of them. 75% isn't that good.

I remember back in the day where 75% was GREAT for a PK. Nick Mike-Mayer was acceptable and he was BAD yesteryear.

My how things have changed from that standpoint. 

Some posters don't think he is good any more because he isn't getting as many sacks. They fail to notice that he is consistently in the league's top 5 at getting pressure and has evolved into an all around solid DE. We need to keep him and Addison on the field together as much as possible. Since Hughes is clearly the better run defender, he should play the LE position most of the time. His awareness and ability to quickly diagnose plays are still excellent.

I would just add that I think Oliver will play better too now that the knee is better and we still don't know where his ceiling is. He's not playing poorly, but he needs to get better. We need a great NT next to him. I really think that would help him a lot having a 1 tech guy that can push the pile. Maybe Epenesa will push Addison and Murphy for a starting job too. Just add a better MLB to that list and our front 7 looks OK.