Sean McDermott is the 2nd Best Coach in Bills History

LB48

Sean took over a team that hadn't won anything in 17 years.  January 2000 was our last play-off appearance!  We all lived through it and it was UGLY.  Many players and coaches couldn't make the Bills a winner despite tremendous fan support.

Now I see posts about "winning signature games" or if we lose to the Patriots it's a disaster.  Crazy and stupid!  It's the NFL in 2020 and most teams have a very good QB and can win against any opponent.

IMO Chuck Knox was the best coach in Bills history.  He took a losing franchise to respectability and back-to-back play-off seasons.  He assembled rookies and veterans to build a strong team.  IF he got his indoor practice facility, an aggressive GM and a upgraded contract he might have stayed around. 

Marv Levy was an ORGANIZER!  Not a great head coach.  He had the best team in the NFL talent wise.  He refused to make 'adjustments' during a game and felt the best way to win was to let the players do it.  Four Super Bowl losses should fall on him.  No game planning and no adjustments. Kelly could only do so much but didn't coach the defense and a lot of his success was due to ad-lib plays and Thurman Thomas.

I respect Sean and the 'process'.  It's working and Buffalo has a good, NFL competitive on the field each week.   GO BILLS!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, LB48 said:

Sean took over a team that hadn't won anything in 17 years.  January 2000 was our last play-off appearance!  We all lived through it and it was UGLY.  Many players and coaches couldn't make the Bills a winner despite tremendous fan support.

Now I see posts about "winning signature games" or if we lose to the Patriots it's a disaster.  Crazy and stupid!  It's the NFL in 2020 and most teams have a very good QB and can win against any opponent.

IMO Chuck Knox was the best coach in Bills history.  He took a losing franchise to respectability and back-to-back play-off seasons.  He assembled rookies and veterans to build a strong team.  IF he got his indoor practice facility, an aggressive GM and a upgraded contract he might have stayed around. 

Marv Levy was an ORGANIZER!  Not a great head coach.  He had the best team in the NFL talent wise.  He refused to make 'adjustments' during a game and felt the best way to win was to let the players do it.  Four Super Bowl losses should fall on him.  No game planning and no adjustments. Kelly could only do so much but didn't coach the defense and a lot of his success was due to ad-lib plays and Thurman Thomas.

I respect Sean and the 'process'.  It's working and Buffalo has a good, NFL competitive on the field each week.   GO BILLS!

I don't know.  Even though it was the AFL.  Lou Saban is the only one with a League Championship.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I don't know.  Even though it was the AFL.  Lou Saban is the only one with a League Championship.

Yes, until McDermott wins some playoff games, Saban is the best.  Led the team to 2 straight AFL titles.  He left and the team was horrible after 1 more trip to the AFL title game.  He came back, built the team around OJ and they were respectable.  He left again and they really sucked until Knox was hired.  Knox  could’ve been #1 if he hung around longer.

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, LB48 said:

Man I’m glad someone said that about marv. I always thought the same thing but was scared to get roasted on here if you say anything about kelly or any of the 90’ bills. But my thing on marv was we should of never lost that super bowl against the Gmen. If marv would of sucked it up and just ran Thurman we would of won that game. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, 97bills said:

Man I’m glad someone said that about marv. I always thought the same thing but was scared to get roasted on here if you say anything about kelly or any of the 90’ bills. But my thing on marv was we should of never lost that super bowl against the Gmen. If marv would of sucked it up and just ran Thurman we would of won that game. 

I think that’s on Marv, but also on largely on Jimbo. (Also unpopular.) He refused to take what they were giving him. He fell into the trap. If Thurman has 10 more runs he’s the MVP and he has a Super Bowl ring. Heck, he should have been the MVP anyway!  Jim was making those calls. It was great when it worked, but he need to be reined in when he got carried away. That didn’t happen. 

Ultimately, the HC has to make it happen. Love Marv, that was a fail.  

As to ranking coaches, that’s impossible after only a few years. History will give us a better vision, though still fuzzy. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1.Knox

2.Saban

3.Levy

4.Phillips

5.McDermott

6.Marrone

Right now he is closing in on Phillips, but not there yet, IMO.

Phillips really lacked the attention to detail to be a stud HC.......but he was also a "take what I have and make it work.....and build my schemes around the talent" coach......which is extremely valuable.

McDermott totally botched his first OC hire and he doesn't adapt his defensive scheme to his players.......he has to have HIS players.   That has lead to them creating unbelievable dead money to clear the decks and then pretty much spending it all again and still not having nailed it.   He is 0-6 versus his top rival and his record versus winning teams is atrocious.......so obviously he is this close to the top because this list kinda' sucks.

The Bills have never won a SB of course but they haven't even employed a HC who would go on to win a SB elsewhere as a HC.

That said McDermott is so far more organized than Phillips it's not funny.   With the pandemic limiting workouts the Bills are having more injury issues this year but prior to that he had really turned the strength and conditioning department into a huge advantage.   Wade Phillips was totally slack on this and his teams were constantly nagged by soft tissue injuries.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Sean McDermott is the 2nd best coach in Bills history

No.

And not close.

Knox, Levy and Saban are the best three. After that, there's a gigantic abyss.

Some day McDermott may be considered up with those guys. Now, not in the same ballpark. And I'm sure he'd agree, both publicly and privately.

And your stuff about Marv is nonsense. He was a terrific coach.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

He's not.  And I don't know about you but I don't really think two first round exits is much to hang your hat on when you're talking about a franchise that's been around for 60 years.  He certainly has the team trending in the right direction but let's wait a few more seasons before we crown him king.

• Like (+1) 2

Ok... I’m stoned and back in what year?

2006... 2010... 2013...? 

Which one was the most preposterous Forum trolling ever done about phantom accomplishments for Bills Coaches, GMs or QBs?

McDermott hasn’t accomplished jack. Has a 15% winning percentage v.s. Playoff teams of the same year!

Led the Bills to 0 Division Titles, 0 SBs, 0 AFC Championships & 0 Playoff Wins!

C’mon man....We’re laughing at you.

Edited by Billsatlastin2018