Sean McDermott is the 2nd Best Coach in Bills History

LB48

5 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

If Marv was a great coach, the Bills probably would've won 3 out of 4 of those Superbowl appearances with that totally stacked team.

The only team they were better than was the Giants. Bear in mind that they were smack dab in the middle of a run of 13 straight NFC SB victories. Also, the Bills outcoached Dallas in the final one, but the players failed -- a combination of their own mistakes and Dallas's superior talent.

• Like (+1) 1

I think at this point Wade Phillips and Sean McDermott are about equal as Buffalo Bills coaches on record alone. Wade had slightly more regular season success over three seasons but he inarguably inherited a better team than McDermott did.

For me, it's McDermott's development of Josh Allen that puts him above Wade. If that continues he'll be in rarified company as one of only two Buffalo Bills head coaches to develop a franchise quarterback.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Rex Ryan's defense was sold as not needing studs except for at CB.    But as you mentioned with McD's defense.........you still needed certain types of guys.   The Bills didn't have a Jim Leonhard to run Ryan's D.   The current Bills don't have a Luke Kuechly.    

People might hate to hear it.......but now that the Bills are near contender status the weaker side of the ball is the one McD specializes in...........not unlike what happened with Rex.

Obviously Rex was a total turd but the point being that flexible coaches have a better chance to succeed in the long term.     

When McD came in he turned a top 10 scoring offense inside out for a scheme specific coach with a very different approach in Rick Dennison.   By contrast, whenWade took over he hired Joe Pendry..........who was unspectacular at prior stops(as was Dennison) but a much more versatile football coach who then changed the offense to fit the players he had.

The nice thing about McD is that I wouldn't put it past him to learn that maybe he could use a change in defensive philosophy and go to school on it.   At least he has shown a willingness to adapt.   Rex did not.   And Wade was very stubborn about his shortcomings too........they were just more related to his preparation of the team and his sideline work.   

I agree completely about flexible coaches being at a huge advantage and about Wade Phillips being a coach who adjusts his scheme to fit his players

Nit: I was pretty sure Rex's scheme needed a certain type of NT and at least 1 or maybe 2 LB that fit it...I thought that was the rationale for why we drafted (overdrafted) Reggie Ragland and Shaq Lawson

The thing that irks me about McD is that we have seen the same failure to contain the QB/allow the long 3rd down conversion bite us at least since Baltimore last season.  If the Plan is that every player on defense must play mistake-free on every play or it all falls apart, well, that strikes me as a Plan where you Lose Your Hat...a Bad Plan.  So I hope he adapts.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Knox, Saba, Levy in that order.  

McD has a long way to go.  Wade is probably number 4 and Marchibroda as an assistant probably had more impact then McD has as of yet.  

I always wonder if the Bills had gotten homefield in 1980 then they probably go to the Super Bowl vs the Eagles. They had two bad losses to the Colts that year which cost them homefield advantage. Then that heartbreaking playoff loss to the Chargers in SD was a tough way to end the season.

15 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Not even close Marv Levy, Lou Saban, Chuck Knox

Hard to argue with this.  So who between Levy and Saban got the most out of their talent?  I feel like Levy's teams were really loaded while Saban got a ton out of better than average talent, but not really great overall.  

What do you think of Marv Levy as a head coach?

OP:  "Marv Levy was an ORGANIZER!  Not a great head coach."

Jim Kelly:  "He was a great coach. He didn’t scream and yell. He knew how to get the best out of every player. He was intelligent and chose his words wisely with each player. He believed that if he had to motivate you, then you wouldn’t fit. He thought that at that level you shouldn’t need to be motivated to play."

http://www.sportshistoryweekly.com/stories/jim-kelly-quarterback-buffalo-bills-nfl-super-bowl-football,801

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

I am surprised their is no love for Kay Stephenson and Hank Bullough.

Or my all-time favorite, Harvey Johnson.  He did so well his first time (1-10) that we brought him back after John Rauch (7-20) was fired in 1970.  

The second time around, Johnson was even better - going 1-13.

5 hours ago, teef said:

this is an incredibly child like way to view their success as a coach.    would you rather have mcd or marrone/ryan?

(i'm not advocating that he's the second best coach in team history.  just commenting on the things you feel are important)

Because you & others are so enamoured with McD and the Process you don't realize that the offense stunk for 3 years playing weak schedules and conversley the Defence looked great.

What I saw was being blown out a lot of times, terrible offensive execution and playcalling, a pathetic record vs. playoff teams 3-17 and only 5 wins vs. teams over .500 (the other two being an 8-7-1 & and 9-7 record).  Oh & 0-2 in playoffs, both which were winnable games.

Let's add to that terrible on challenges, third quarter adjustments, giving up leads as well.

But let's talk about that 17-10 win vs. Pitt & Thanksgiving vs. Dallas and annoint McD.

Marrone was an idiot to leave and Ryan was Ryan, but somehow stumbled and produced the same record.

9 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Because you & others are so enamoured with McD and the Process you don't realize that the offense stunk for 3 years playing weak schedules and conversley the Defence looked great.

What I saw was being blown out a lot of times, terrible offensive execution and playcalling, a pathetic record vs. playoff teams 3-17 and only 5 wins vs. teams over .500 (the other two being an 8-7-1 & and 9-7 record).  Oh & 0-2 in playoffs, both which were winnable games.

Let's add to that terrible on challenges, third quarter adjustments, giving up leads as well.

But let's talk about that 17-10 win vs. Pitt & Thanksgiving vs. Dallas and annoint McD.

Marrone was an idiot to leave and Ryan was Ryan, but somehow stumbled and produced the same record.

jesus...this is really how you look at it?

first off, it's not about being enamoured with mcd.  it's about realizing the positive strides made, (and continue to make) with staff.  you seem to want to only, and i mean only look at the negative.  tell us about how the staff has been blown out...that seems to effect you greatly.  but going to the playoffs twice, considering it hadn't been done in 17 years, is a nothing.  one playoff appearance is with tyrod, and the other was with a second year, very raw still qb.  both were away games, and both teams were better than the bills at that point.  the bills still looked  competitive.  you just seemed to be more bothered that people appreciate what's going on here.  i'm sorry it wasn't done your way, but that's life.

again, you keep bringing up records, like that a reasonable comparison.  the records were similar, but did either of those coaches take us to the playoffs twice.  did either coach have us poised to win the afc east?  no.   it's just like when people were trying to say mcd and gase were similar coaches due to their records.  it was insanely stupid to even imply that, this is equally as foolish.  

honestly, since you don't have 300 yard games to complain about, this has become your new thing.  you keep spitting out the same stats over and over again to prove a point that isn't there.  if you don't like mcd...fine.  some of us are just willing to let this play out more before throwing the staff under a bus.  

you're an adult, assumingly older than i am, yet you still insist on instant gratification.

edit:  also lost in all of this is that mcd and this staff are properly developing a qb.  when has that actually happened here in the last 20 years?  you're right though...lets just keep complaining.  you just demand excellence!

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

I always wonder if the Bills had gotten homefield in 1980 then they probably go to the Super Bowl vs the Eagles. They had two bad losses to the Colts that year which cost them homefield advantage. Then that heartbreaking playoff loss to the Chargers in SD was a tough way to end the season.

Yes but if Ferguson doesn't sprain ankle in week 15 or whatever week it was, then they probably beat San Diego. Bills could have won the whole thing in 1980 with that defense and Cribbs/Butler.

11 minutes ago, teef said:

first off, it's not about being enamoured with mcd.  it's about realizing the positive strides made, (and continue to make) with staff.  you seem to want to only, and i mean only look at the negative.  tell us about how the staff has been blown out...that seems to effect you greatly.  but going to the playoffs twice, considering it hadn't been done in 17 years, is a nothing.  one playoff appearance is with tyrod, and the other was with a second year, very raw still qb.  both were away games, and both teams were better than the bills at that point.  the bills still looked  competitive.  you just seemed to be more bothered that people appreciate what's going on here.  i'm sorry it wasn't done your way, but that's life.

again, you keep bringing up records, like that a reasonable comparison.  the records were similar, but did either of those coaches take us to the playoffs twice.  did either coach have us poised to win the afc east?  no.   it's just like when people were trying to say mcd and gase were similar coaches due to their records.  it was insanely stupid to even imply that, this is equally as foolish.  

honestly, since you don't have 300 yard games to complain about, this has become your new thing.  you keep spitting out the same stats over and over again to prove a point that isn't there.  if you don't like mcd...fine.  some of us are just willing to let this play out more before throwing the staff under a bus.  

you're an adult, assumingly older than i am, yet you still insist on instant gratification.

edit:  also lost in all of this is that mcd and this staff are properly developing a qb.  when has that actually happened here in the last 20 years?  you're right though...lets just keep complaining.  you just demand excellence!

No, I expect more.....  I have said too that I'm turing the corner on McD (but you ignore that), but I'm not that enamoured with many things 2017-19 or the record or the playoff appearances.

As for Allen, I will repeat again and compare him to Burrow & Herbert, where I'm sure you'll compare him to Darnold, Mayfield & Rosen (and you maybe right or maybe I am)......  My view always was that they were too conservative with Allen and he could have been brought along quicker, which may have resulted in a different outcome vs. Houston.  

The fact McD is maybe the olny coach in the last 25 years not to have a QB throw for 300 yards in a game to me is telling.  

17 minutes ago, teef said:

He has advocated for the Bills to lose.  That’s all you need to know.

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Levy was the best, I think. Was he perfect? No. But I think people seriously underestimate the importance of managing personalities in team sports like the NFL. That was a team that always had the potential to implode because of the personalities on it, but he kept it all together and got them to the playoffs 8 out of 9 years. And people forget that the Bills actually had a terrific game plan in the final Super Bowl. The problem was crazy plays (turnovers) and talent winning out in the end. People talking up Knox ( @BADOLBILZ ) seem to forget that he didn't lose Super Bowls because his unimaginative approach to coaching led to a long series of playoff disappointments in LA, Buffalo, and Seattle. Knox's lifetime winning percentage was .558, and Levy's was .561. Knox was 7-11 in the postseason, and Levy was 11-8. And it's not like Knox didn't have talented teams. His first five Rams teams were dominant (54-13-1 in total), yet in their five playoff losses, they scored 16, 10, 7, 13, and 7 points. That's a sign of a severe lack of offensive imagination. And I watched most of those games. They were painfully dull on offense. 

As for Saban, I get why people like him, but he was coaching in an inferior ten-team league. It was just too far removed from the modern NFL to compare. Just my opinion. 

1. Levy

2. Saban

3. Knox

4. Phillips

5. McDermott

There is no #6. I don't think that a coach that got to 9-7 simply because the Pats benched their starters early on and who quit after year two deserves a spot. Same goes for Mularkey, who was basically the same in terms of production (and manner of departure!) as Marrone. I'd take Jauron over Marrone, who did slightly more with less.  But none of these guys are any good--all have had careers that scream "replacement-level player."   

I put a lot more stock into turning around moribund franchises......which is why Kox is #1 and Saban #2.

Levy fell in just as the Bills were getting to the point where they were too talented to deny success..........and while he did pull it together and manage the personalities.........that was one of his few strengths.

Knox turned programs around the way McDermott is trying to do here..........including hiring the underrated people who ultimately helped build the foundation for Polian,  who gets just a little too much credit for the foundation of the roster that made it to 4 SB's.

The scope of what Knox brought to an organization was just so much broader than what Levy did at his only successful NFL stop.

And let's be honest here........Knox never had a QB like Jim Kelly and his Rams teams were impeded by Roger Staubach and Fran Tarkenton......HOF'ers.  

But like I said it's not a GREAT list.

Bills have never had a GREAT HC.

And fwiw..........Marrone may have got to 9-7 because the Pats were resting........but he most certainly turned around a very sickly franchise and he hired two very successful DC's in two years.  Mularkey inherited a team that was talented and the coaching job he did in his second season was tragically bad.   Marrone never had that problem in Buffalo and he took a team to a conference championship game elsewhere.   I would take that over anything Mularkey and Jauron could spin cobble together.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, LB48 said:

Sean took over a team that hadn't won anything in 17 years.  January 2000 was our last play-off appearance!  We all lived through it and it was UGLY.  Many players and coaches couldn't make the Bills a winner despite tremendous fan support.

Now I see posts about "winning signature games" or if we lose to the Patriots it's a disaster.  Crazy and stupid!  It's the NFL in 2020 and most teams have a very good QB and can win against any opponent.

IMO Chuck Knox was the best coach in Bills history.  He took a losing franchise to respectability and back-to-back play-off seasons.  He assembled rookies and veterans to build a strong team.  IF he got his indoor practice facility, an aggressive GM and a upgraded contract he might have stayed around. 

Marv Levy was an ORGANIZER!  Not a great head coach.  He had the best team in the NFL talent wise.  He refused to make 'adjustments' during a game and felt the best way to win was to let the players do it.  Four Super Bowl losses should fall on him.  No game planning and no adjustments. Kelly could only do so much but didn't coach the defense and a lot of his success was due to ad-lib plays and Thurman Thomas.

I respect Sean and the 'process'.  It's working and Buffalo has a good, NFL competitive on the field each week.   GO BILLS!

I'm not sure about McDermott being 2nd, but I definitely agree about Knox being 1st.  That's another one Ralph ran out the door who should have been here and winning for a long long time.  That 1980 team is one of my favorite Bills teams ever.

• Thank you (+1) 1