The Bills have a superstar Elite NFL QB

You always have a puncher’s chance if you have devastating power. I feel with Allen we are certainly capable of knocking out anyone. The question will be can Allen show he is patient enough to settle for the jab and use them to slowly wear down his opponents? I think that’s what he needs to do. Teams fear him now. They’ve watched the tape. Allen must prove he is not reckless. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

it’s undeniable 

LInk?

At this early stage, it's deniable.

He's been playing superbly for five games, but Tyrod was terrific for five games too. Some guys regress. Some guys lose it. Sometimes teams figure guys out. It happens. On the other hand, sometimes guys become superstars.

Certainly his arm talent is superstar-level. That's been clear since college. There's a lot more to the game than that though.

Far too early to think we know the final verdict. It does seem to be leaning that way, though.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Like and subscribe.....

it’s undeniable 

I would say the Bills still have a "Sweet Dream, or a Beautiful Nightmare".

He's taken a leap, no doubt.

But we still have "Good Josh, Bad Josh".

Good Josh makes throws maybe no, maybe one or two, other QB in the league can make.

He can move in the pocket and escape and extend plays with his legs and these days he mostly extends them to find an open receiver.

He can read the D correctly and know where his answers are - most of the time

People who dis on Josh for that Titans game simply don't know how to watch a football game, he did a LOT that was good and had no help from the run game.  But he also made several really stupid passing decisions in addition to the 2nd half INT that pretty much threw the game (see below)

5 hours ago, ChanticleerBillsFan said:

Just watched Eric Turner’s Covers1 breakdown of his “bad game”. Josh made 10-12 throws that were incredible. Throws that if your QB made one you would reference that throw in your mind believing he is the real deal. The dude is legit. It has me jazzed up for the future. I highly recommend watching. 

I've been watching that too.  Another EXCELLENT analysis is QB coach Jim Kubiak's in The Buffalo News (paywall, may be trial option - I could get there with private window).  Really worth a read:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/jim-kubiak-progression-of-reads-part-of-bills-qb-josh-allens-undoing-vs-titans/article_3dffbaa6-0e52-11eb-9895-67879075f710.html

The good news is improved patience, improved ability to read defenses, and those incredible, spin-your-head-around exorcist throws he can make.

The bad news is "Gunslinger Josh" still needs to take a Chill Pill sometimes. 

Watching Cover1 and also re-watching some the film (need more whiskey to make it all the way through), there really were at least two other throws in that game Josh simply should not have made.  He had better alternatives open (albeit shorter) and he should have taken them.  You do not throw to double-covered Gabe Davis deep when there's an open check-down alternative with yardage to be made on the ground.  Likewise to triple-covered Stefon Diggs.  Just No. 

I hope that's part of what Josh meant when he said he wasn't fooled much, he just got greedy.   Josh had one INT that's on him.  But he could easily have had 2 more.  And he could have had completions elsewhere all 3 throws.

He can also still improve his ball placement at times.  As Kubiak notes, a QB expects that his WR will adjust and bring in a throw like that, but if Josh placed the ball 3 feet to the right it's a ball even Andre Roberts is able to catch instead of a deflection and an INT.

I have huge hope for the future, but there's still work to be done.  The future has not quite arrived.

To his credit, I think Josh knows that.

8 hours ago, HappyDays said:

We might. He has to shake off a bad game and return to where he was the first 4 weeks. If he can do that against Kansas City without missing a beat I'll believe he is an elite QB.

I don't think he really has to "return" anywhere.  The Titans were giving him a very different coverage strategy on defense than he had the first 4 weeks, and he didn't adjust to it as quickly as we'd like.  Josh was still able to read it (as he said "didn't fool me much") and make plays with his arm - some of them incredible.

I don't know how much of that is coaching and play design, and how much is what's in Josh's head, but hopefully it was a learning experience, because he's going to see that strategy on defense at least 4 more times this season.  And he may see it next week.

Recommend Kubiak and that cover1 piece.

21 minutes ago, CSBill said:

Sorry, you lost me at "Quarterback from Navy" Mr. Kubiak. Next we'll be getting a wide receiver from Army to evaluate the WR play.

So what are your criteria for evaluating QB play, Mr CSBill?  Tell us your football chops***....

How about read the article?  With what part of the analysis did you disagree?

***It's not that I think someone needs a huge football pedigree to comment sensibly on football.  But when someone has actually played and coached at a couple of different levels of the game, I think their comments need to be accepted or dismissed on the merits, not just because you don't have a high opinion of where they played.  That's just silly, especially if you don't have at least an equivalent or better pedigree yourself.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

LInk?

At this early stage, it's deniable.

He's been playing superbly for five games, but Tyrod was terrific for five games too. Some guys regress. Some guys lose it. Sometimes teams figure guys out. It happens. On the other hand, sometimes guys become superstars.

Certainly his arm talent is superstar-level. That's been clear since college. There's a lot more to the game than that though.

Far too early to think we know the final verdict. It does seem to be leaning that way, though.

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

Sorry, you lost me at "Quarterback from Navy" Mr. Kubiak. Next we'll be getting a wide receiver from Army to evaluate the WR play.

Lol.  You do realize that Bills WR coach Chad Hall is an Air Force Academy graduate. 

• Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

We might. He has to shake off a bad game and return to where he was the first 4 weeks. If he can do that against Kansas City without missing a beat I'll believe he is an elite QB.

This is part of what’s wrong with this fan base, IMO. Allen has done nothing but improved over the entire course of his brief career, but it’s never good enough.

Allen was unbelievable the first four games of the season and other than a few bad throws against Tennessee he wasn’t that bad there either. People ignore four amazing games and only focus on one “bad” game around here. 

If he plays great against KC, you will be happy...until his next bad game. Then you will say he needs to bounce back before you consider his “the guy”. You see how silly this is yet?  The guy is still in the upper ranks of nearly every quarterback category and we want “more”? It just doesn’t make sense. No one saw him being where he is today, but for some it’s still not good enough. All qbs have bad games. It’s bound to happen. But we should already be thrilled with Allen’s progress and the future that he has. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would say the Bills still have a "Sweet Dream, or a Beautiful Nightmare".

He's taken a leap, no doubt.

But we still have "Good Josh, Bad Josh".

Good Josh makes throws maybe no, maybe one or two, other QB in the league can make.

He can move in the pocket and escape and extend plays with his legs.

He can read the D correctly and know where his answers are - most of the time

People who dis on Josh for that Titans game simply don't know how to watch a football game, he did a LOT that was good and had no help from the run game.

I've been watching that too.  Another EXCELLENT analysis is QB coach Jim Kubiak's in The Buffalo News (paywall, may be trial option - I could get there with private window).  Really worth a read:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/jim-kubiak-progression-of-reads-part-of-bills-qb-josh-allens-undoing-vs-titans/article_3dffbaa6-0e52-11eb-9895-67879075f710.html

The good news is improved patience, improved ability to read defenses, and those incredible, spin-your-head-around exorcist throws he can make.

The bad news is "Gunslinger Josh" still needs to take a Chill Pill sometimes. 

Watching Cover1 and also re-watching some the film (need more whiskey to make it all the way through), there really were at least two other throws in that game Josh simply should not have made.  He had better alternatives open (albeit shorter) and he should have taken them.  You do not throw to double-covered Gabe Davis deep when there's an open check-down alternative with yardage to be made on the ground.  Likewise to triple-covered Stefon Diggs.  Just No. 

I hope that's part of what Josh meant when he said he wasn't fooled much, he just got greedy.   Josh had one INT that's on him.  But he could easily have had 2 more.  And he could have had completions elsewhere all 3 throws.

He can also still improve his ball placement at times.  As Kubiak notes, a QB expects that his WR will adjust and bring in a throw like that, but if Josh placed the ball 3 feet to the right it's a ball even Andre Roberts is able to catch. 

I have huge hope for the future, but there's still work to be done.  The future has not quite arrived.

To his credit, I think Josh knows that.

I don't think he really has to "return" anywhere.  The Titans were giving him a very different coverage strategy on defense than he had the first 4 weeks, and he didn't adjust to it as quickly as we'd like.  Josh was still able to read it (as he said "didn't fool me much") and make plays with his arm - some of them incredible.

I don't know how much of that is coaching and play design, and how much is what's in Josh's head, but hopefully it was a learning experience, because he's going to see that strategy on defense at least 4 more times this season.  And he may see it next week.

Recommend Kubiak and that cover1 piece.

Great summary, thanks. I wonder too if some of this was just “pressing” the situation. , The feel of the game was not ever  really going our way and when we would strike, the Ttans would just come back and hit us harder. Then it was almost like trying to force feed Diggs all the time. 

He still has Lots to learn and improve on as you say and Josh I’m sure takes it too heart. Move on and be better. Josh is going to leave it all out there for us for sure. It’s scary crazy to see how high his ceiling can be. 

It was not as  horrible some people make out to be when  using terms like regression(hardly) , and certainly not his best.

I wish our defense could get back to making life miserable for opposing quarterbacks.