Josh Alllen analysis on "Warner's Corner" NFLN

ehfeuh57

Great analysis by Kurt Warner and Irvin on Gameday Morning on NFL Network just now

will try to post video if it becomes available

Irvin showed how Diggs was a part of the improvements as well

Edited by DrDare
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Was a really good piece. Warner's corner is the best bit of Gameday Morning IMO 

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Loved that view on the throw to Diggs in the final moments. Unreal pitch and catch with the game on the line

Everybody wanted to say Josh couldn't throw with anticipation...turns out he just needed receivers he can trust to be in the right spot.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Diggs has illustrated the difference that having high quality WR talent can make for your QB/passing offense.

It's another case where McBeane seem to have learned from their earlier mistakes,   which is encouraging.

"Learning" is exactly the thing that McBeane does the best, imo.  That's what makes them so great.  They not only run a tight ship they are always upgrading it as we speak.

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Diggs has illustrated the difference that having high quality WR talent can make for your QB/passing offense.

It's another case where McBeane seem to have learned from their earlier mistakes,   which is encouraging.

Lol I'm sure their plan was to never bring in a legit #1 WR....you just can't add all of the pieces you want the second you step in.  Takes like this crack me up.  

• Like (+1) 4

19 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

which mistakes? Drafting a QB everyone said was trash that is in mvp conversation, picking up great value complimentary WRs? Drafting a RB that looks shiftier and more explosive each week? building a quietly solid o line. Trading for and drafting WRs one who is elite, the other whom has already played a role in two wins as a legit #2? Fueling a young talented defense that propped up the franchise while the offense developed? 

I mean no GM is perfect, but thus far anyone who thinks they haven’t written the book on how to long term redirect a franchise has no idea what they are looking at.  

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

"Learning" is exactly the thing that McBeane does the best, imo. 

I agree.

You could see where they brought some bad ideas with them from Carolina..........undervaluing quality of the WR by stocking it with lumbering targets was a prime example.

After that yielded astonishingly poor separation numbers and near historically bad offense for their first couple of seasons they pivoted and began to do what works.

We have had regimes in the past that wouldn't have done that.    

Carolina got to a SB with Philly Brown and Ted Ginn as the top WR's that season..........they challenged for and won division titles in other years without being very aggressive with regard to adding WR personnel.    Guys like Tom Donahoe, Dick Jauron and Buddy Nix probably stick by that methodology because they had examples where it worked.   Hell Polian and Butler probably would have.

It has frustrated me as a fan because I knew that lessons learned coaching/administrating in Carolina's division........while New Orleans was re-tooling........weren't going to be enough to win the AFC East away from New England.    And so far McD is still 0-6 versus Belichick.   But their willingness to pivot from what doesn't work has me optimistic that there is much more to them than what they had shown at their previous stop.    Which might be the first time ever that we can say that about a Bills HC/GM combo.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

It wasn't so long ago that we didn't have any receivers who could separate.

That Diggs cut on the play that Irvin references is so nasty.  Talk about breaking ankles.

There's a pass caught by Diggs in the 2018 Vikes game where he LITERALLY makes Tre Day fall down.  Not with a push off or anything, just with an elite cut.

Now Tre has improved from 2nd year to 2019.  But he was already a very very good player his 2nd year, and Diggs literally makes such a nasty cut that he's down on the carpet.

I'm sorry not to provide the video of this cut, but if you have film of that game I promise it's there.

• Like (+1) 1

Diggs has helped but they didn't mention that this is year #3 with Dabol and he has John Brown, Cole Beasley, Devin Singletary and some tight Ends that can get open and catch the ball.  We also have a much improve OL that is starting to develop more continuity. We also have stable ownership and a much improve coaching staff and front office. So many factors beyond Diggs.

24 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

which mistakes? Drafting a QB everyone said was trash that is in mvp conversation, picking up great value complimentary WRs? Drafting a RB that looks shiftier and more explosive each week? building a quietly solid o line. Trading for and drafting WRs one who is elite, the other whom has already played a role in two wins as a legit #2? Fueling a young talented defense that propped up the franchise while the offense developed? 

I mean no GM is perfect, but thus far anyone who thinks they haven’t written the book on how to long term redirect a franchise has no idea what they are looking at.  

I know it's in the nature of the apologist to try to forget the bad decisions..........but 24 months ago the Bills had arguably the worst offense the NFL has seen since the NFL merger.

It was the result of many bad decisions made.    

The argument that they couldn't have done better in so little time is foolish............they inherited a top 10 scoring offense that had nearly set the record for fewest turnovers in a season.

The choice was made to tear it down.

The new regime 2017 Rams started out that January with a worse roster than what McDermott inherited.  They had been over-matched talent wise in the Bills/Rams game of 2016......their cap situation was not great either because they were coming off of a Bills-esque regime misfire.   Their organizational identity was "pathetic offense".

But they made aggressive and mostly correct, insightful moves and became a SB contender immediately...........with a pinball machine numbers offense from the get-go and were on their way to a SB while the Bills offense was bottoming out in early 2018.  

The narrative from Bills fans at the time was that the Rams would be on the down-swing by now because of all the bold moves.   But that was wrong.   They are obviously still a SB contender and are likely to continue to be for a while.

The two teams chose to re-build in two different ways but beyond that there were far more swings and misses........fundamentally flawed decisions..... from McDermott and Beane.........the list is long.

But they have learned and adapted from their mistakes and it took 4 years to get to now where the Rams were in 2017(and now)............ really a threat to go deep into the playoffs.........and that is because they learned and adapted.   It really is their strength.   What they may have lacked in foresight in certain areas they have at least been able to turn into a positive.

• Haha (+1) 1

The video clip is all about the Josh Allen - Stephon Diggs connection, but Buffalo has other people catching the ball at a high rate.  I don't what to undervalue what Diggs has brought to the team.  He does get open.  He does make 50/50 catches.  He does help other receivers get open by the attention he draws from DBs.  He does give Brian Daboll another offensive piece with which he can be creative.  But even without that, Josh Allen has taken a significant step forward in his ability to anticipate, his deep accuracy and his ability to read the defense and make the decisions needed to give the play it's best chance for success.  The addition of Diggs simply compounds and leverages the improvements Josh has made.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

Everybody wanted to say Josh couldn't throw with anticipation...turns out he just needed receivers he can trust to be in the right spot.

I am not sure that is all he needed I think he needed to speed up his process too in terms of reading the field. It is a combination of the two IMO. It is Diggs but it is also Josh continuing to improve as a Quarterback.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, eball said:

I’m not sure he makes that throw a couple of years ago though with any WRs. Even his passes to the other guys are so much better. 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I know it's in the nature of the apologist to try to forget the bad decisions..........but 24 months ago the Bills had arguably the worst offense the NFL has seen since the NFL merger.

and a terrible, self-inflicted dead cap situation. They pretty much had to go dumpster diving just to find 53.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The argument that they couldn't have done better in so little time is foolish............they inherited a top 10 scoring offense that had nearly set the record for fewest turnovers in a season.

The choice was made to tear it down.

The new regime 2017 Rams started out that January with a worse roster than what McDermott inherited.  They had been over-matched talent wise in the Bills/Rams game of 2016......their cap situation was not great either because they were coming off of a Bills-esque regime misfire.   Their organizational identity was "pathetic offense".

But they made aggressive and mostly correct, insightful moves and became a SB contender immediately...........with a pinball machine numbers offense from the get-go and were on their way to a SB while the Bills offense was bottoming out in early 2018.  

The narrative from Bills fans at the time was that the Rams would be on the down-swing by now because of all the bold moves.   But that was wrong.   They are obviously still a SB contender and are likely to continue to be for a while.

The two teams chose to re-build in two different ways but beyond that there were far more swings and misses........fundamentally flawed decisions..... from McDermott and Beane.........the list is long.

But they have learned and adapted from their mistakes and it took 4 years to get to now where the Rams were in 2017(and now)............ really a threat to go deep into the playoffs.........and that is because they learned and adapted.   It really is their strength.   What they may have lacked in foresight in certain areas they have at least been able to turn into a positive.

Classic

11 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

and a terrible, self-inflicted dead cap situation. They pretty much had to go dumpster diving just to find 53.

Yes Beane created more dead cap money in one offseason than any other GM in NFL history.

At the same time they spent a good deal of money very poorly in free agency that offseason.   Hell he burned $3M on a 2 week tryout for a WR that summer.    

His cap management, personnel choices and contract structuring improved dramatically the past two offseasons.

The only personnel area where they haven't gotten more personnel-efficient is their decisions at 1T..........cutting Dareus to grossly overpay Lotulelei and then tripling their money down on Vernon Butler to make up for the lack of impact from Lotulelei........and despite all of that their run defense was their achilles heel on D last year and is their greatest weakness now.   Fortunately Josh Jacobs is banged up this week but if they get trampled on the ground in Las Vegas I do expect that Beane will make a move there though.        

4 hours ago, DrDare said:

Great analysis by Kurt Warner and Irvin on Gameday Morning on NFL Network just now

will try to post video if it becomes available

Irvin showed how Diggs was a part of the improvements as well

I appreciated the post/heads up.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not sure that is all he needed I think he needed to speed up his process too in terms of reading the field. It is a combination of the two IMO. It is Diggs but it is also Josh continuing to improve as a Quarterback.

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I’m not sure he makes that throw a couple of years ago though with any WRs. Even his passes to the other guys are so much better. 

Yeah, you guys are taking me too literally.  Just having fun with this.

• Haha (+1) 1