Lost a best friend today!

Had to have our dog put down today.  He's Golden Retriever #6, going back to '72.  It's NEVER easy but the fact that he was such a great dog made it even more difficult,  Found him online at the SPCA.  He was high energy, and likely a run away.  That was 12/08.  They told me hes was "about a year old" then.  So he had a good long life  His name was Lindy Ruff!

Thanks!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 17
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Hang in there, MN. It's never an easy day but you have 12 years of great memories. My dog (black lab/beagle mix) is a similar age. We got her in 2008 (November), the same year my mom passed (January). I have had all kinds of pets since I was a kid but this is my first since the '90s/early 2000s. She's a great companion and family member. She's still healthy and happy (knock wood) but I am dreading the day you are enduring now. Peace. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’m so sorry. I know how much it hurts and how quiet the house is when you walk in and they are not there. Even if she’s up in my wife’s closet sleeping as she often is and I don’t see her, it just feels different when she’s not there. There is an emptiness without her.

Currently on Golden #6 myself. She is 11 and the first 5 lasted anywhere from 8 to 13 years, so you had a good run with Lindy Ruff. Love the name! We have Golden #7 coming soon and I’ve been searching for a Bills related name.

Best wishes as you adjust to living with that sad void in your house and life. Remember the great times! They are pure love! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Sorry for your loss, man. Rescued dogs are the best - I think they know they're lucky to have found a home.

We adopted our Black Lab mix, Shadow, nine years ago today. He was almost four years old and had lived with a family since he was a puppy, but they moved and couldn't have a dog where they were going, so they brought him back to the pound. He'd been there about three weeks when we got him, and once we got to our house, he made himself at home right away. Two years later, we adopted a puppy from another shelter, and Shadow took on the big brother role quite well.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This breaks my heart.  My condolences to you and yours.  RIP, Lindy Ruff.

2 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Had to have our dog put down today.  He's Golden Retriever #6, going back to '72.  It's NEVER easy but the fact that he was such a great dog made it even more difficult,  Found him online at the SPCA.  He was high energy, and likely a run away.  That was 12/08.  They told me hes was "about a year old" then.  So he had a good long life  His name was Lindy Ruff!

Thanks!

When you're up to it, please add a pic of Lindy Ruff here (where all the dog lovers hang out):

• Thank you (+1) 1

Thanks!

I gave ya a beer instead of a sad face, to mean "Thanks for sharing, and here's to Lindy!"

Sorry for your loss, it's never easy. Good job giving Lindy a long, happy, comfortable life

• Thank you (+1) 1

Thanks!

I'm sorry!  They are such great parts of our lives.  I gave our girl a little extra scritch and a hug in honor of Lindy Ruff

• Thank you (+1) 1

So sorry for your loss. It's never easy having to let go of a true friend like a faithful dog. I have never had a dog that stole my beer, smacked up my car, lied to me, stole money from me or cheat on me. We lost our last one 3 years ago, and I still can't bring myself to get another one. The pain has receded, but the memories will still be with you, but it was definitely worth it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm a big dog lover. I know that when you have to put one down it's like losing a member of your immediate family. Although it is hard, I hope it brings you solace to know that you did the right thing. Your dog would have sacrificed anything to protect you and to ease any pain you were in.

Please accept my condolences. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

My first and only dog, Buddy.  Got him when I was 56 and he passed away on my birthday 4/30 this year my 64th.  Cushing disease cut his life expectancy in half. He noticeably slowed the first of this year, but still unexpected as he never got "bad".  More than a family member, I miss him every day.  Died about a week after this picture.  Enjoy the time you have!

1659.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1