Titans-Steelers game postponed til later in the season...Titans now effectively have a bye week to prepare for Bills

Big Turk
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please tightly restrict conversation in this thread to football and football-relevant matters.

Two Bills Drive no longer finds it appropriate to engage in COVID-19 discussion in our main discussion areas. (This includes your opinion about the incubation/infectious period, interval before a positive test, and infection control measures the NFL should employ, and this means YOU.) We are a Buffalo Bills fan community and we exist to serve fans of the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Please use other communities and venues to discuss heath-related topics including COVID-19. 

Information about COVID-19 is available from many globally respected sources including:

Uptodate     |  British Medical Journal Best Practice   |      COVIPENDIUM    |    Our world in Data

The pinned topic: COVID-19 - Facts and Information Only Topic, located on the Off the Wall subforum, is also a resource.   Should these not meet your needs, many other sources of information (of varied accuracy) exist.

Thank you!

2 hours ago, Mango said:

At this point for a situation like the Titans, I think the opponent should have a commanding seat at the table when they talk about options for this.

If the Bills feel uncomfortable going into Tenn. then the league shouldn’t try and force a game. If it can work for a week 18, then it works. If it can’t, then it is an L/W for each team. 

I would argue that the opposing team (Bills) should also be allowed to have some say in decision making when it comes to the way the Raiders have managed the situation. The organization is an absolute disaster waiting to happen to the entire league. If a team is uncomfortable going into their stadium after the way they have handled this, then that’s on the Raiders, not the opponent. 

McBeane and the Bills adding a full time bus driver that travels with the team sounds like it could or should be on the horizon. 

If it isn't already the case, and with many other NFL teams.

On 10/1/2020 at 9:50 AM, scribo said:

HUGE mistake by the NFL. Consistency is key to even-ground competition. Should another team have a similar situation arise later in the season, particularly after the bye weeks, the league will not be able to make such accommodations. This sets a precedent that the NFL won't likely be able to follow later.

I hate to say it, but this now truly is the first loose string of an unraveling ball of yarn.

Now that the NFL cannot seem to find a way to postpone the Pats* at Chiefs beyond this week, my worries are confirmed. The NFL is not treating each team the same. I am glad the Pats* will have a competitive disadvantage now having ot play without their QB1, because it hopefully helps the Bills, but it is wrong.

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Does anyone know the NFL protocol to clear players for return to the field?

Following a positive test, if the player is asymptomatic, he can return once:

• 10 days have passed since the initial positive test; OR
  • Five days have passed since the initial positive test and the player receives two consecutive negative PCR virus tests at least 24 hours apart within that five-day period

Following a positive test, if the player demonstrates symptoms, he can return once:

• At least 10 days have passed since symptoms first appeared; AND
  • At least 72 hours have passed since he last experienced symptoms

In either case, a player who tests positive must be cleared by his team's head physician before returning.

Additionally, all players who have tested positive and recovered (or who have tested positive for antibodies) will undergo additional cardiac screening.

4 minutes ago, hemma said:

I guess I don't see this as an advantage for the Titans.

If we could 'switch shoes', would we?

Nah.

I definitely would not want to be in their place. But the rescheduling of their game from Sunday to multiple weeks out gives them a chance to get their infected players back. The Pats* are not getting that chance. Again, I detest the Pats*, so I am not complaining. But it still isn't right. The mistake was made in how they handled the Titans not necessarily how they are handling the Pats-Chiefs; although, that may prove to be the wrong path, as well.

Edited by scribo
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, scribo said:

Following a positive test, if the player is asymptomatic, he can return once:

• 10 days have passed since the initial positive test; OR
  • Five days have passed since the initial positive test and the player receives two consecutive negative PCR virus tests at least 24 hours apart within that five-day period

Following a positive test, if the player demonstrates symptoms, he can return once:

• At least 10 days have passed since symptoms first appeared; AND
  • At least 72 hours have passed since he last experienced symptoms

In either case, a player who tests positive must be cleared by his team's head physician before returning.

Additionally, all players who have tested positive and recovered (or who have tested positive for antibodies) will undergo additional cardiac screening.

Thanks.  I am assuming that when it comes to "symptoms" that the player and team physician would be documenting that?

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Nooch, what are you honest thoughts on a buffer week?

I mentioned it earlier, as did others, too.  

For example, extend the season by 2 weeks and have 2 completely open weekends for potential make up dates?

very reasonable

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, scribo said:

Now that the NFL cannot seem to find a way to postpone the Pats* at Chiefs beyond this week, my worries are confirmed. The NFL is not treating each team the same. I am glad the Pats* will have a competitive disadvantage now having ot play without their QB1, because it hopefully helps the Bills, but it is wrong.

I don’t get this at all.

The original plan for Tennessee and Pittsburgh was exactly what the plan is for NE/KC.  They wanted to move it to Monday or Tuesday night.  The issue is everyday more people on Tennessee are testing positive.  So the NFL can not allow them to gather together or allow coaches/staff into the facility until they have a complete understanding of everyone infected.  Tennessee has had additional people test positive Mon - Friday - so at this point it sounds like the NFL is not allowing the facility to even open until Tuesday - making it difficult to play a game that evening.

The Pats/Chiefs is postponed until Tuesday, but if either team throws more positive tests from today or tomorrow (as I would assume they will retest on Sunday and try to fly out Monday) - then the NFL will also have to postpone this game.  The NFL is treating each situation the same and then using the circumstances to determine what else must happen.

Additionally if more Titans come up positive - the NFL has discussed having to shut a team down completely for 10-14 days to ensure the spread has stopped and Jerry Jones said they would decide the impact and how to play things out once deemed safe.  He said the NFL has a ton of contingency plans that have been discussed - the NFL will work hard to get through with minimal disruption, but they knew scheduling changes were always a possibility.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/1/2020 at 9:45 AM, Process said:

They are not allowed in the building at all this week.

We are in the middle of a pandemic, we knew things like this were going to happen. All teams will end up being affected at some point. 

There is absolutely no reason we should feel cheated or cry about them having a week off. **** is going to happen this year.

Good points!  The Bills game at Tennessee is doubtful right now.

29 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Florio has been peddling panic on this since day one. He’s still collecting receipts for his “the nfl is making the worst decision in pro-sports history” take about having Free Agency. 

Agreed. There are 14 players total on the Covid list league wide and ten of them are titans. Obviously players would get it, only one team has seen a spread. More days of testing to see if others remain isolated, but at this point it is one team

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Agreed. There are 14 players total on the Covid list league wide and ten of them are titans. Obviously players would get it, only one team has seen a spread. More days of testing to see if others remain isolated, but at this point it is one team

And they played the Vikings will supposedly having players who were positive/could be spreading... that is great news I think, as it shows that it doesn’t easily transmit during football.

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

This is it. The protocols are obviously working at this point for 31 teams. Did the Titans fudge up the protocols? We will find out. 

There’s been a huge reaction to what happened with the Titans and people are starting to raise questions but it could just be the Titans messed up.

22 hours ago, scribo said:

I definitely would not want to be in their place. But the rescheduling of their game from Sunday to multiple weeks out gives them a chance to get their infected players back. The Pats* are not getting that chance. Again, I detest the Pats*, so I am not complaining. But it still isn't right. The mistake was made in how they handled the Titans not necessarily how they are handling the Pats-Chiefs; although, that may prove to be the wrong path, as well.

19 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I don’t get this at all.

The original plan for Tennessee and Pittsburgh was exactly what the plan is for NE/KC.  They wanted to move it to Monday or Tuesday night.  The issue is everyday more people on Tennessee are testing positive.  So the NFL can not allow them to gather together or allow coaches/staff into the facility until they have a complete understanding of everyone infected.  Tennessee has had additional people test positive Mon - Friday - so at this point it sounds like the NFL is not allowing the facility to even open until Tuesday - making it difficult to play a game that evening.

The Pats/Chiefs is postponed until Tuesday, but if either team throws more positive tests from today or tomorrow (as I would assume they will retest on Sunday and try to fly out Monday) - then the NFL will also have to postpone this game.  The NFL is treating each situation the same and then using the circumstances to determine what else must happen.

Additionally if more Titans come up positive - the NFL has discussed having to shut a team down completely for 10-14 days to ensure the spread has stopped and Jerry Jones said they would decide the impact and how to play things out once deemed safe.  He said the NFL has a ton of contingency plans that have been discussed - the NFL will work hard to get through with minimal disruption, but they knew scheduling changes were always a possibility.

Think there's a big difference between the two situations.  Every day Tenn keeps having more positives to the point they would barely have enough players available.  They'd be in a situation where they'd have to move players to IR Covid which then I believe means they are out 3 weeks but may turn out to be symptom free.   Anyone with actual symptoms will likely also miss Bills game if played next week based on the 10 day criteria.

The big issue I'm sure with NE was they didn't want the entire team getting onto a plane not knowing if others may be positive and now by the time you exit the plane, 5 more are positive.  If the game had been in NE, not so sure the league would have canceled the game already on Saturday, they may have waited to see if others became positive too.

Whatever benefit the titans get from extra rest for players with minor or lingering injuries is massively outweighed by not even being able to use their facilities, to say nothing of how most of the players who tested positive likely won't be cleared to play against the Bills.  The actual concern with this game is the bills catching corona from the titans.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gambit said:

So the Titans would have 2 byes?

Unless the league make other adjustments (shortens the season or adds weeks at the end, before the playoffs) the Titans would essentially forfeit.

1 minute ago, TigerJ said:

Unless the league make other adjustments (shortens the season or adds weeks at the end, before the playoffs) the Titans would essentially forfeit.

I doubt it. 

They're more likely to cancel the game outright than force a team to forfeit.

First they'll try to delay it by a few days. Then they'll try to reschedule it. If neither of those efforts succeed for whatever reason, I believe game cancellations to be far more likely than forced forfeitures. 

If they prove that the titans are in this mess due to their own causes, I don't see why them forfeiting isn't the natural conclusion.. Hardly seems fair to opponents who are working hard to get the job done. 

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I doubt it. 

They're more likely to cancel the game outright than force a team to forfeit.

First they'll try to delay it by a few days. Then they'll try to reschedule it. If neither of those efforts succeed for whatever reason, I believe game cancellations to be far more likely than forced forfeitures. 

Man, I don't know.. Conference game, huge playoff implications (theoretically)... what do you do with that game? Where do you put it? If it just gets written off what does that do to the Bills standings?

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

If they prove that the titans are in this mess due to their own causes, I don't see why them forfeiting isn't the natural conclusion.. Hardly seems fair to opponents who are working hard to get the job done. 

Man, I don't know.. Conference game, huge playoff implications (theoretically)... what do you do with that game? Where do you put it? If it just gets written off what does that do to the Bills standings?

I don't know how to answer that. I think they'll make every effort to delay it or reschedule it.

If, for whatever reason, that can't happen, I stand by the notion that the NFL would sooner cancel the game outright than force a team to forfeit. I don't think the league forcing a team to forfeit due to an outbreak of a deadly virus would be a good look for them. 

Roger Goodell was asked right before the season started if it's possible we could see teams across the league playing different amounts of games due to COVID cancellations. He said that it was "a possibility". 

11 minutes ago, Logic said:

I don't know how to answer that. I think they'll make every effort to delay it or reschedule it.

If, for whatever reason, that can't happen, I stand by the notion that the NFL would sooner cancel the game outright than force a team to forfeit. I don't think the league forcing a team to forfeit due to an outbreak of a deadly virus would be a good look for them. 

Roger Goodell was asked right before the season started if it's possible we could see teams across the league playing different amounts of games due to COVID cancellations. He said that it was "a possibility". 

What if it's unquestionably their fault for failing to follow protocol? (which seems to be the way that it's going...) 

That's the difference maker for me. If the 10-5 Bills lose the division to the 11-5 Pats because the Titans didn't follow the protocols, doesn't that cause more issues with the sanctity of the game?

4 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

What if it's unquestionably their fault for failing to follow protocol? (which seems to be the way that it's going...) 

That's the difference maker for me. If the 10-5 Bills lose the division to the 11-5 Pats because the Titans didn't follow the protocols, doesn't that cause more issues with the sanctity of the game?

I'd tend to agree that if the Titans are found to have violated rules, then forfeiture should be on the table. Whether the NFL will agree, I cannot say.

As far as the tiebreaker scenario you laid out...all I know is that I'm fully preparing for this season to be messy and unfair, no matter what. More outbreaks are gonna happen, more games are gonna get postponed, and some may possibly be cancelled. Already, if nothing further changes on the schedule, the Chiefs are about to play three games in ten days. In this weird COVID affected NFL season, unfairness will abound.

Edited by Logic

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I'd tend to agree that if the Titans are found to have violated rules, then forfeiture should be on the table. Whether the NFL will agree, I cannot say.

As far as the tiebreaker scenario you laid out...all I know is that I'm fully preparing for this season to be messy and unfair, no matter what. More outbreaks are gonna happen, more games are gonna get postponed, and some may possibly be cancelled. Already, if nothing further changes on the schedule, the Chiefs are about to play three games in ten days. In this weird COVID affected NFL season, unfairness will abound.

I get that, and if it was an honest to goodness unavoidable thing that caused it my tune is different... 

My feeling is the titans were playing hard and loose with the rules (shocking that a Vrabel led team would) and that makes me angry. If they lose a couple games cause of it, the unfairness won't abound as much. 

• Like (+1) 1