Titans-Steelers game postponed til later in the season...Titans now effectively have a bye week to prepare for Bills

Big Turk
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please tightly restrict conversation in this thread to football and football-relevant matters.

Two Bills Drive no longer finds it appropriate to engage in COVID-19 discussion in our main discussion areas. (This includes your opinion about the incubation/infectious period, interval before a positive test, and infection control measures the NFL should employ, and this means YOU.) We are a Buffalo Bills fan community and we exist to serve fans of the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Please use other communities and venues to discuss heath-related topics including COVID-19. 

Information about COVID-19 is available from many globally respected sources including:

Uptodate     |  British Medical Journal Best Practice   |      COVIPENDIUM    |    Our world in Data

The pinned topic: COVID-19 - Facts and Information Only Topic, located on the Off the Wall subforum, is also a resource.   Should these not meet your needs, many other sources of information (of varied accuracy) exist.

Thank you!

9 minutes ago, wjag said:

This seems totally workable as long as Pit and Bal stay healthy.  But it makes for some interesting what if scenarios league-wide and serves as a reminder that no schedule is safe at the moment.  Would get more difficult too for teams that share a facility like LA and NY.

I’d guess that the teams sharing facilities are a big reason why the schedule is so inflexible. The league already has to adapt scheduling for them. Fortunately there aren’t any other large entertainment events this year. 

As for the extra time to prepare..... I think the advantage is seriously minimized as the stress levels of everyone in the Titans organization is going to be elevated. Stress, lowered sleep quality, mental energy, etc. Plus they still might not get into the facility until Tuesday... Let’s wait and see how this plays out. It might be good for physical injuries, but bad for their mental state and focus. If we’re lucky they come out flat, we go up early, and Tanny has to pass to get back in the game. 

I don't get how some posters first idea is how this affacts Bills-Titans game. I'd worry much more about how this affects whole season and not if they get couple of days more for preparation. I will be happy if our game (and all other games) is on schedule and don't care at all how long they get. Not to mention they can't train right now.

Does it really though?

The Titans coaches spent all week gaming planning and watching film for the Steelers, now they have to scrap all that an do it all over again for the Bills. Not to mention the whole team is not allowed at the facility, so they cannot even practice what the coaches implement until they are cleared to go back and that might not even be till mid-week next week. Sounds more to me like a cluster-you know what than a strategic advantage. If it's an advantage, it's minimal in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

I don't like this...it effectively gives the Titans a major advantage because they screwed up and are now rewarded with extra time to prepare for us that we don't have.

If it makes you feel better, the schedulers were kind to us, giving us a schedule with no teams coming off a bye this year.  Now we have one, and the Titans were expecting to play Pittsburgh until this morning, so they don't get the full advantage that a team coming off a bye would normally have.

Just now, No_Matter_What said:

I don't get how some posters first idea is how this affacts Bills-Titans game. I'd worry much more about how this affects whole season and not if they get couple of days more for preparation. I will be happy if our game (and all other games) is on schedule and don't care at all how long they get. Not to mention they can't train right now.

Or, maybe, how it affects actual people’s lives?

2 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Does it really though?

The Titans coaches spent all week gaming planning and watching film for the Steelers, now they have to scrap all that an do it all over again for the Bills. Not to mention the whole team is not allowed at the facility, so they cannot even practice what the coaches implement until they are cleared to go back and that might not even be till mid-week next week. Sounds more to me like a cluster-you know what than a strategic advantage. If it's an advantage, it's minimal in my opinion. 

This is also a terrible time to have a bye.. so early to begin with, and add in the fact that we had no preseason and teams (see our defense) are still trying to adjust to live action/tackling etc.. 

I posted this on the other titans thread but Chris spielman’s brother is the GM of the Vikes and therefore given the information on what occurred with the titans as they had just played them. Spielman said on his podcast yesterday that it’s his understanding that a PS player on the titans tested positive on Saturday before the team left for minny. The player didn’t travel. That player had been in contact with a coach, who then held a meeting with a group of players while on the road in close quarters, and didn’t wear a mask. No one is tested on Sundays (Gameday). Monday the positives came back. If true, and no reason to not believe Spielman but of course it is second hand from Rick, but it was a break in protocol.

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I posted this on the other titans thread but Chris spielman’s brother is the GM of the Vikes and therefore given the information on what occurred with the titans as they had just played them. Spielman said on his podcast yesterday that it’s his understanding that a PS player on the titans tested positive on Saturday before the team left for minny. The player didn’t travel. That player had been in contact with a coach, who then held a meeting with a group of players while on the road in close quarters, and didn’t wear a mask. No one is tested on Sundays (Gameday). Monday the positives came back. If true, and no reason to not believe Spielman but of course it is second hand from Rick, but it was a break in protocol.

Amazing no vikes have tested positive...  yet.  Fingers crossed...

Yeah, and that can't happen.  Come on league...

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Absolutely unacceptable, if true..  That's just so frustrating to read.

Was wondering what the difference could be between the Falcons who had one case, and isolated it with no further issues, and the Titans...

Edited by SCBills

Not great that the Titans have essentially gotten an extra week to prepare but tbh it kind of sucks for the Steelers. The extra week off is going to be paid for by shorter prep times for future games. I'd love to know how the NFL is going to solve this. Won't they end up essentially having 2 games in one week. I don't think the NFL can move other teams bye weeks around because this probably wont be the only time this happens. And of course how will Fantast Football handle 2 games in one week.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't like this...it effectively gives the Titans a major advantage because they screwed up and are now rewarded with extra time to prepare for us that we don't have.

What's the alternative?

This is a game the Bills should win as long as they can somewhat contain Henry.  

This is tricky.. I don’t worry so much about the titans having the extra week. I worry they cancelled the steeler game already. Has me wondering if a lot more positive tests in Tennessee are about to show up that haven’t been leaked out yet (which then can put our game with tenn in jeopardy)  Given the teams size and the players on the sidelines obviously with no masks this can spread a lot. Hopefully the league is just taking caution essentially quarantining the titans for two weeks. We knew it would happen so let’s hope this is about it and more players take this more seriously. It is their salaries they are risking 

Hmm. Their facility is closed till further notice. 

Not sure how much of an advantage this will be. A bit of one, certainly. Not sure it'll be a major factor, though.

1 hour ago, gordong said:

Boy the NFL has really screwed up handling all of this Covid Stuff...   So because this team was not careful they get an edge in playing the bills, Meanwhile the dummy Raiders could infect our whole team because they ARE STUPID.   and the NFL keeps chugging along. 

Titans secret strategy...kill everyone off

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

Rest yes. But who knows when they will be able to practice.

They aren't even really getting the rest. They've been prepping for the Steelers so they'll have been doing their practices, whatever those may be, remotely. I'm sure the players won't have been sat at home doing nothing. It also means they won't get a proper break as they would during a bye week, when they would normally get 4-5 actual days off.