Practice updates week of 8/31

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, 716er said:

There's your 6 WRs

My stab at our 6 WRs(provided that's what we go with) would be:

Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Davis, Roberts, Williams.  Call me crazy but I think ol' Dukey makes the 53....

Is there any chance they go with 7 WRs?  If they were to go with 7 then I would add McKenzie... (Hodgins to the PS)

Edited by smuvtalker

9 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Davis, Roberts, Williams.  Call me crazy but I think ol' Dukey makes the 53....

Is there any chance they go with 7 WRs?  If they were to go with 7 then I would add McKenzie... (Hodgins to the PS)

Williams is not making this roster. He'll either be cut and they'll try to sneak him onto the PS or he will be traded if anyone will give us anything for him. 

4 minutes ago, H2o said:

Williams is not making this roster. He'll either be cut and they'll try to sneak him onto the PS or he will be traded if anyone will give us anything for him. 

From my perspective (fan perspective), I'd keep Duke over McKenzie, but its a real coin flip.  Whichever they pick, the choice will not affect this season in the slightest.  That being said,, for whatever reason, this staff seems to really love McKenzie. Almost 100% chance it ends up the way you predict. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

From my perspective (fan perspective), I'd keep Duke over McKenzie, but its a real coin flip.  Whichever they pick, the choice will not affect this season in the slightest.  That being said,, for whatever reason, this staff seems to really love McKenzie. Almost 100% chance it ends up the way you predict. 

I think McKenzie is the team's do-it-all gadget player. He serves a purpose on Special Teams, can work from the slot at WR, and they use him on those end-arounds they run from time to time. Duke is a big WR and that's pretty much it. That's why I think he'll be gone, especially with the outstanding camp for Davis thus far and with us having another just drafted, younger prospect in Hodgins. 

• Like (+1) 4

18 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Agree 100%, whoever they end up keeping won't have any impact whatsoever on the season, that's just a testament to how strong and deep our WR core is this year.  What a wonderful problem to have. Again, I don't envy Beane and McDermott one bit on having to make the final say on our WRs.

13 minutes ago, H2o said:

I think McKenzie is the team's do-it-all gadget player. He serves a purpose on Special Teams, can work from the slot at WR, and they use him on those end-arounds they run from time to time. Duke is a big WR and that's pretty much it. That's why I think he'll be gone, especially with the outstanding camp for Davis thus far and with us having another just drafted, younger prospect in Hodgins. 

Valid points, all of them.  I guess you're right in that Gabe Davis actually makes Williams that much more expendable.  Now that I think about it, Duke's biggest asset last year and probably the main reason he made the roster was because he was the biggest WR on the team.  Now that we have size (and talent) with Davis, yeah, Duke's probably a goner.  Sad, i liked him and felt like he had potential.  

As far as McKenzie, I personally wouldn't have him in my final 6, but he does do quite a bit.  I can easily see how he could make the roster.   

42 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

Crazy. Hodgins is safe for the 53. McKenzie does more than Duke. I really think they are going to keep 7 and Duke (if lucky) goes to the PS. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, eball said:

Crazy. Hodgins is safe for the 53. McKenzie does more than Duke. I really think they are going to keep 7 and Duke (if lucky) goes to the PS. 

You think Hodgins makes the 53? Ooh wee that would surprise me.  I mean I've read that he's had a solid camp and all, and how he's got NFL genes and such.  Perhaps he's just been overshadowed by Davis's strong performance, cause that's who I read and hear about pretty much every single practice.  Honestly other than him being 6 foot a hundred, has he really had that strong of a camp that you feel he's a LOCK to make the roster?

4 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

You think Hodgins makes the 53? Ooh wee that would surprise me.  I mean I've read that he's had a solid camp and all, and how he's got NFL genes and such.  Perhaps he's just been overshadowed by Davis's strong performance, cause that's who I read and hear about pretty much every single practice.  Honestly other than him being 6 foot a hundred, has he really had that strong of a camp that you feel he's a LOCK to make the roster?

A) He’s a draft pick in a ridiculously deep draft for WRs.
B) He has exceptional size and hands. 
C) Unlike Duke, he is a prime candidate for poaching if he is on the PS.

D) By all accounts he grasped the playbook quickly and does not look out of place. 

Yes, I think he’s a lock. 

• Like (+1) 4

16 minutes ago, eball said:

OK so you have 9 players left on offense.  Who do you keep and at what positions?  Or do you think they keep 8 OL?

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

OK so you have 9 players left on offense.  Who do you keep and at what positions?  Or do you think they keep 8 OL?

They got to keep JF on the roster before they can get him to IR.  I think they keep 10 then move Jon to IR and go with 9 from there.

They sure ain't keeping 8 at cutdown and then move JF.

I agree with you that 7 WRs is a slim to none chance.

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

They got to keep JF on the roster before they can get him to IR.  I think they keep 10 then move Jon to IR and go with 9 from there.

They sure ain't keeping 8 at cutdown and then move JF.

I agree with you that 7 WRs is a slim to none chance.

I think they keep 9, IR-R JF and then re-sign whoever is available from the guys they cut.  Or they may sign them to the PS.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

I think they keep 9, IR-R JF and then re-sign whoever is available from the guys they cut.  Or they may sign them to the PS.

Very possible.  Always an option to cut Evan B with a "hand shake" to sign him back the next day for a few $s more.

32 minutes ago, eball said:

A) He’s a draft pick in a ridiculously deep draft for WRs.
B) He has exceptional size and hands. 
C) Unlike Duke, he is a prime candidate for poaching if he is on the PS.

D) By all accounts he grasped the playbook quickly and does not look out of place. 

Yes, I think he’s a lock. 

And he was promoted pretty strongly by this really intelligent, good-looking poster pre-draft:

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

My thoughts are that they'll keep Mckenzie due to his role as a gadget player. Duke is a big-bodied fairly sure-handed receiver. Gabe Davis is similar in build and By all accounts out of training camp, Davis is performing very well. He fills the role of the big receiver. Either way, it's going to be a fun season to watch. Go Bills!

@H2osorry about my post. Looks like I pretty much copied what you said. I didn't see your post until after I posted...lol... Mondays

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, FLbills said:

My thoughts are that they'll keep Mckenzie due to his role as a gadget player. Duke is a big-bodied fairly sure-handed receiver. Gabe Davis is similar in build and By all accounts out of training camp, Davis is performing very well. He fills the role of the big receiver. Either way, it's going to be a fun season to watch. Go Bills!

@H2osorry about my post. Looks like I pretty much copied what you said. I didn't see your post until after I posted...lol... Mondays

While this is a popular response about McKenzie I do have a bit of a problem with that this year.

Last year McKenzie was on the field a lot (over 40% of the offensive snaps), when the "gadget plays" were called it caught D's off gaurd.

Diggs, Brown and Beasley are going to get the lion share of snaps.  McKenzie won't see the field much at all and if he comes in and does

"gadget plays" I feel it's something that defenses will key on.  

FWIW.

• Like (+1) 1