Practice updates week of 8/31

YoloinOhio

It’s not about “gadget plays” it’s about plays designed specifically for McKenzie and the fact that they move him around the formation to help identify coverages pre-snap and exploit matchup mismatches post-snap.  He’s one of the few players on offense who has his own mini playbook.  He’s not going anywhere.

53 minutes ago, FLbills said:

My thoughts are that they'll keep Mckenzie due to his role as a gadget player. Duke is a big-bodied fairly sure-handed receiver. Gabe Davis is similar in build and By all accounts out of training camp, Davis is performing very well. He fills the role of the big receiver. Either way, it's going to be a fun season to watch. Go Bills!

@H2osorry about my post. Looks like I pretty much copied what you said. I didn't see your post until after I posted...lol... Mondays

No worries my friend. :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Love the hang time on this ball. Arc is so much better than the one on the opposite of the field. 

On other posts who is QB #10 that threw the duck that was picked off. 

also I just don’t see Hodgins as a “lock”. He’s been in red contact Jersey a lot and I haven’t heard as many reports of him running with the 1s lately. Duke meanwhile I think have heard running with the 1s

15 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Love the hang time on this ball. Arc is so much better than the one on the opposite of the field. 

also I just don’t see Hodgins as a “lock”. He’s been in red contact Jersey a lot and I haven’t heard as many reports of him running with the 1s lately. Duke meanwhile I think have heard running with the 1s

10 is Fromm. I think he’s toast. Hodgins is a lock. 

4 minutes ago, eball said:

Yeah Fromm hasnt inspired much.  I had to argue he wasnt a lock.  AND I did argue the same for Hodgins for many the same reasons.  I don't understand why hes guaranteed to be scooped up now if he is cut considering he was a late 6th round draft choice.  The calculus doesnt seem to have changed much to me.  

5 minutes ago, eball said:

Yep. Fromm's a goner. 

Even IF they keep 3 QBs (possible, due to COVID), the third will be Davis Webb. 

Fromm would seem likely for the practice squad, and I sincerely doubt anyone claims him on waivers. Honestly, though, he's not even a lock for the practice squad. The only thing working in his favor is that Beane spent a 5th round pick on him.

33 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Looks like it got tipped.  And I also don't think Hodgins is a lock and again can be snuck onto the PS.

Edited by Doc
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yep. Fromm's a goner. 

Even IF they keep 3 QBs (possible, due to COVID), the third will be Davis Webb. 

Fromm would seem likely for the practice squad, and I sincerely doubt anyone claims him on waivers. Honestly, though, he's not even a lock for the practice squad. The only thing working in his favor is that Beane spent a 5th round pick on him.

Davis Webb from reports is very smart reading coverages and is very organized.  He may just be a late bloomer.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Davis Webb from reports is very smart reading coverages and is very organized.  He may just be a late bloomer.

Right on.

Former 3rd rounder with a big arm who had a good college career.

As coach McDermott says, he also has a great mind and temperament for the position,  enough so that he told Webb that he can be a great coach himself one day. 

Pretty cool.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

It’s not about “gadget plays” it’s about plays designed specifically for McKenzie and the fact that they move him around the formation to help identify coverages pre-snap and exploit matchup mismatches post-snap.  He’s one of the few players on offense who has his own mini playbook.  He’s not going anywhere.

I think doing that with Diggs, Singletary, or Brown makes way more sense.  Scheme some touches for the playmakers.  Mckenzie will be hard pressed to find touches.  

3 hours ago, eball said:

A) He’s a draft pick in a ridiculously deep draft for WRs.
B) He has exceptional size and hands. 
C) Unlike Duke, he is a prime candidate for poaching if he is on the PS.

D) By all accounts he grasped the playbook quickly and does not look out of place. 

Yes, I think he’s a lock. 

Parring agrees on Hodgins and he’s been at every practice 

1 hour ago, YattaOkasan said:

yeah that was a duck.  My thoughts exactly 

Jake Fromm #10 

Not much in the video to say why it was so horrible 

23 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Not saying he can’t make the team but far from a lock imo. Literal definition of fighting for a spot versus duke and McKenzie. 

Hodgins is not fighting with Duke for a spot. The decision is whether they keep 7 and that means McKenzie. 

17 minutes ago, eball said:

Hodgins is not fighting with Duke for a spot. The decision is whether they keep 7 and that means McKenzie. 

Agreed. I think the Jets are going to be poaching some teams' WR cuts. I'd much rather keep Hodgins and expose Duke Williams.

I'd like to keep McKenzie but I think John Brown can also do that gadget stuff when called upon

6 hours ago, Doc said:

Again, considering I think they at-most keep 25 offensive players and that 9 OL are locks, I can't see 7 WRs (9 players remaining for 3 position groups) including Roberts kept.

3 QBs,  4 RBs,  4 TE, 7WR, 9 OL =  27   how do it trim it to 26 or 25 ? 

I don't think the team can carry 7 WRs.   

The options are

* cut Fromm and hope he can be added to PS

* cut Roberts and hope McKenzie and Gabe can do KR and PR