Figuring out the OL depth chart

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/ = 17.2 M of cap spave available - 14th most in the league - likely to  go down a bit this week with camp cuts and the corresponding dead cap associated but that is league-wide...

Winters official cap numbers were finally published - 1 year 3M - fully guaranteed -some give and take - took a pay cut compared to prior contract but gave him the 100% guaranteed money...not likely to be a camp cut this week...

So..predicting-figuring the OL depth chart...is still a mystery

RT - Ford -  Williams or Nsekhe

RG - Winters - Ford (could be Ford if either one of the above are good enough at RT and we just dont know)

C - Morse - Boehm

LG - Spain - Winters

LT - Dawkins - Williams or Bates -

So the questions are: 

Is Williams the backup at LT and RT - does that make Nsekhe a possible cut if Williams is capable of that ?   Nsekhe has the much bigger cap number over Williams as well - plus dont think he swings to LT ?

Boehm is listed as the only backup C - at least until Feliciano returns and when is that ?  a mid-season IR candidate.. I don't see him being carried on active as the spot is too valuable on gameday.

Spain seems safe this season as his cap number is 4.5M guaranteed

When Feliciano returns, someone on the OL likely cut, unless injuries dictate...at that point Boehm could be as he plays only C ?  I dont see Feliciano being cut tho it would be a cap saver over Boehm.

Couple practice squad spots for vets as well which is pure conjecture at this point...flame on beotches

image.png

Dawkins-Spain-Morse-Ford-Williams.  Nsekhe is backup LT/RT, Winters in backup LG/RG and Bates is backup everywhere.  Feliciano kept until after first game then IR-R'd and someone brought back like Boehm.

• Like (+1) 6

20 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I suspect they have a plan for back center. They were quick to get rid of Long even after knowing Feliciano was out.

Has Bates lined up at center? I read he is capable of playing all 5 spots, just none of them that well.

Any word on the UW UDFA tackle with injury history ?

I heard Adam's has been struggling all training camp 

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

I’d put money on Ford and Williams starting on the right side.

It does look that way to me too, Nsekhe is gonna be the back up swing tackle imo, being he has played both positions in his career. Morse, Spain and Dawkins are  locks to start. 

Edited by Don Otreply

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Dawkins-Spain-Morse-Ford-Williams.  Nsekhe is backup LT/RT, Winters in backup LG/RG and Bates is backup everywhere.  Feliciano kept until after first game then IR-R'd and someone brought back like Boehm.

I don't think he needs to be IR'd after first game.  I thought he just needs to be o nthe 53 next Saturday.  They can then place him on IR on Sunday and then has potential to return.  Maybe then they Cut Boehm Saturday with promise to bring him back on Sunday with a small bump in $$

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Dawkins - Spain - Morse - Ford - Williams

Depth: Nsekhe, Boehm, Winters, Bates

PUP: Feliciano

That’s how I see it.

Nsekhe is swing tackle. 

Boehm is backup Center.

Bates/Winters interior swing.

When Feliciano gets healthy, Winters is cut. Winters might be cut anyway. It seems like he has NOT looked good at camp.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I don't think he needs to be IR'd after first game.  I thought he just needs to be o nthe 53 next Saturday.  They can then place him on IR on Sunday and then has potential to return.  Maybe then they Cut Boehm Saturday with promise to bring him back on Sunday with a small bump in $$

Even better.

1 hour ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

I heard Adam's has been struggling all training camp 

He's Practice Squad material, if that.

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

Winters hasn't looked good, by all accounts. 

What did we think, he was not good enough to stick with the Jets and they are a dumpster fire on OL.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I think that this scenario is VERY possible.

44 minutes ago, MJS said:

Winters hasn't looked good, by all accounts. 

There was an account the other day that he shined in individual reps during practice.

Brian Winters has been quiet so far since being signed following his release from the New York Jets. He was excellent against Vincent Taylor in 1-on-1s, landing a pancake block on one rep and a powerful block on the other. The battle on the offensive line has been competitive throughout camp.

I think he stays as depth just because he's a solid vet. But its gonna be a tough choice regardless. I know we'd prefer to keep players who can play multiple positions instead of a guy who can only play guard. But i think we keep him.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Sounds about right to me

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, First Round Bust said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/ = 17.2 M of cap spave available - 14th most in the league - likely to  go down a bit this week with camp cuts and the corresponding dead cap associated but that is league-wide...

Winters official cap numbers were finally published - 1 year 3M - fully guaranteed -some give and take - took a pay cut compared to prior contract but gave him the 100% guaranteed money...not likely to be a camp cut this week...

So..predicting-figuring the OL depth chart...is still a mystery

RT - Ford -  Williams or Nsekhe

RG - Winters - Ford (could be Ford if either one of the above are good enough at RT and we just dont know)

C - Morse - Boehm

LG - Spain - Winters

LT - Dawkins - Williams or Bates -

So the questions are: 

Is Williams the backup at LT and RT - does that make Nsekhe a possible cut if Williams is capable of that ?   Nsekhe has the much bigger cap number over Williams as well - plus dont think he swings to LT ?

Boehm is listed as the only backup C - at least until Feliciano returns and when is that ?  a mid-season IR candidate.. I don't see him being carried on active as the spot is too valuable on gameday.

Spain seems safe this season as his cap number is 4.5M guaranteed

When Feliciano returns, someone on the OL likely cut, unless injuries dictate...at that point Boehm could be as he plays only C ?  I dont see Feliciano being cut tho it would be a cap saver over Boehm.

Couple practice squad spots for vets as well which is pure conjecture at this point...flame on beotches

image.png

Boehm has started at guard before

3 hours ago, Doc said:

This is seems like the most logical plan.

Hopefully Williams can do something since Brad Butler...........

solve the RT position.

3 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I’d put money on Ford and Williams starting on the right side.

Me too.  I think the starting offensive line is Dawkins - Spain - Morse - Ford - Williams.  I think Nsekhe is a swing tackle Winters is a reserve interior lineman, and Ryan Bates is your emergency jack of all trades.

5 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I suspect they have a plan for back center. They were quick to get rid of Long even after knowing Feliciano was out.

Has Bates lined up at center? I read he is capable of playing all 5 spots, just none of them that well.

Any word on the UW UDFA tackle with injury history ?

We saw him play it in pre season....I thought he looked good.

I am a Ryan Bates fan....this is the kind of player you NEED on your team because he can play all the spots and not look silly

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I am a Ryan Bates fan....this is the kind of player you NEED on your team because he can play all the spots and not look silly

I agree, I like Bates a lot. He would be our best option as backup Center, and can play OT in a pinch.

The decision on Feliciano will be based on two things:  1)  how well Winters plays; and 2) what the prognosis is for his recovery.  I don't think either of those things are fully known yet.  And as others have said, I like having a guy like Bates on the roster.  He has great versatility.  He has mastered all of the positions along the line - truly the master backup.