Cam Newton ‘absolutely not’ the Patriots’ starting QB (?)

cd1

6 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Guys, you don’t play an awful football player ahead of a former MVP. If Cam is healthy, I am as likely to start at QB for the Pats as Hoyer. It’s the same with Stidham. This was never a QB competition. They waited until Cam’s price dropped and they got their QB.

So simple and yet so many are confused...

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, H2o said:

Cam's just trying to say the right things. Truthfully, he's more focused on his outfit for the first post-game interview. 

Panthers Cam Newton: game comes down to a lack of offensive execution -  YouTube

7 hours ago, teef said:

unless something goes seriously wrong, cam is the starter.

you mean aside from what he wears post game, which is seriously wrong, or at least puzzling 

1 hour ago, eball said:

So simple and yet so many are confused...

It really is. I don’t expect Cam to be great but I expect him to be competent. The gap from Stidham/Hoyer to competent is a chasm. The Patriots went from the worst QB room in the league to competent. That’s the difference between being a 6 win team and an 8 or 9 win team (the opt outs play a role too). 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Billl said:

People here want so badly to believe that Cam is going to be a disaster and that the Patriots are going to suck for all of eternity that they’re willing to pretend that Cam was signed to back up Stidham and Hoyer.  Sorry to say it, but BB isn’t an idiot, and Cam is a competent QB even if he isn’t what he once was.  In fact, Cam is probably the closest comp to Josh Allen in terms of his skill set, style of play, and limitations.

? Pats fan. This poster is a Pats fan. ? 

39 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It really is. I don’t expect Cam to be great but I expect him to be competent. The gap from Stidham/Hoyer to competent is a chasm. The Patriots went from the worst QB room in the league to competent. That’s the difference between being a 6 win team and an 8 or 9 win team (the opt outs play a role too). 

They weren't even a 6 win team with Hoyer or Stidham and the lack of receiving options, plus the opt-outs.  I'd say they're now a 6-7 win team with Cam.

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

They weren't even a 6 win team with Hoyer or Stidham and the lack of receiving options, plus the opt-outs.  I'd say they're now a 6-7 win team with Cam.

I guess that I have it as a 2 game swing based on 1 game that Cam will steal plus 1 game where Hoyer/Stidham would be horrible and hand away.

The Pats shouldn’t be too good either way but they are absolutely better with Cam (if healthy) than those 2 stooges behind him. They were never the plan though. It could have been Dalton. It could have been Cam. It could have been Mariota. It could have been Herbert. It was never going to be Stidham/Hoyer. That was wishful thinking on our part. I so desperately wanted them to go that route.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I guess that I have it as a 2 game swing based on 1 game that Cam will steal plus 1 game where Hoyer/Stidham would be horrible and hand away.

The Pats shouldn’t be too good either way but they are absolutely better with Cam (if healthy) than those 2 stooges behind him. They were never the plan though. It could have been Dalton. It could have been Cam. It could have been Mariota. It could have been Herbert. It was never going to be Stidham/Hoyer. That was wishful thinking on our part. I so desperately wanted them to go that route.

I agree that Cam is probably worth 2 wins.  But there didn't seem to be a plan since they never made a serious play for any of the other guys and had to wait until Cam's market dried-up and he was forced to accept league minimum before signing him.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, 1st&ten said:

Oh boy more Patriot news for the ESPN guys to debate.

No cap, they only cover their practice daily and people on this site, including me only talk about them daily. Let’s just trash them twice no matter who starts and put them in the rear view once and for all. 

14 hours ago, cd1 said:

"That label is not important to me right now because I know I have so much to get better at, so much that I need to learn, so much that I need to be comfortable with, and throughout this process, that’s the last thing that I’m pretty much worried about, knowing that there are certain things that when I come to the line of scrimmage and it’s just not as firing mentally as I would want it to be rather than other plays that may be called".

That's one helluva long sentence, seems he doesn't know the system/playbook yet.

On 8/27/2020 at 8:59 AM, RoyBatty is alive said:

I have always thought Hoyer was going to start to begin the season.

Hoyer knows the system and has had a ton of experience.  Not flashy but can be an adequate game manager, maybe with running a lot and with that D (as depleted as it is) that is enough for the Pats to win this year..as long as Hoyer doesnt lose if for them.

Hoyer is a journeyman and Cam, if his head is on straight and healthy, is a top QB in the league. I cannot see Cam not starting day 1.

Edited by billsfan_34
  • Like (+1) 1

On 8/27/2020 at 4:57 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

I think it's possible that Cam is competent. But I watched his last several games in a Panthers uniform and I would not use that word to describe what I saw, even with shoulder issues. He was awful. He still may be bad, even if hes healed (and it's tough to assume hell remain healthy at this point)

On 9/3/2020 at 5:05 PM, arcane said:

I think it's possible that Cam is competent. But I watched his last several games in a Panthers uniform and I would not use that word to describe what I saw, even with shoulder issues. He was awful. He still may be bad, even if hes healed (and it's tough to assume hell remain healthy at this point)

It wasn't just his shoulder. He had a pretty bad foot injury too from what I remember.