Training Camp 8/25

YoloinOhio

19 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Gotta say I like hearing Bass had a good bounce back kicking day, nailing all of his kicks(at least from what the media got to see).  

I love Hauschka, and am grateful for all he did for us during his time here.  He made some clutch kicks...BUT, I'd really like to see Bass win this job, and solidify himself as our kicker for the next 10+ years.  From everything I've read, and seen, and all of the reports coming out of camp about him hitting 56+ FGs and still clearing the crossbar by 6 or 7 yards, I REALLY want this kid to succeed....just further testament to Beane and McDermott's drafting expertise...

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Offense moved the ball well today and that's with John Brown having a rest day. Never thought I'd say this after last year but we have a deep WR corps.

Even feels weird just saying it."we have a deep receiving corps"...but I love it!

Aside from Stefon giving me a near stroke the other day when he fell...i effing LOVE watching him run routes, with his crazy lightning quickness, the absolutely SICK moves he puts on DBs, and the effortless fluidity of his route-running....and please forgive me y'all for being honest right here, but I hold my breath every time I watch him run, because of how quickly he's able to stop and change directions.  It scares the living dookie out of me...

But DAMN am I ready to see this offense take the field!!!  

Edited by smuvtalker

6 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Respectfully, I am more worried about being carried away by army ants than I am about Diggs being a problem in the locker room. 

This is fine.  

Danielle seems really dramatic. Ya know, the type of girl that always says "I dont do drama"...... and then says dumb s**t like this tweet.

I dated a "I dont do drama" girl for a couple months and i'm convinced it took 4 years off my lifespan 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, smuvtalker said:

Gotta say I like hearing Bass had a good bounce back kicking day, nailing all of his kicks(at least from what the media got to see).  

I love Hauschka, and am grateful for all he did for us during his time here.  He made some clutch kicks...BUT, I'd really like to see Bass win this job, and solidify himself as our kicker for the next 10+ years.  From everything I've read, and seen, and all of the reports coming out of camp about him hitting 56+ FGs and still clearing the crossbar by 6 or 7 yards, I REALLY want this kid to succeed....just further testament to Beane and McDermott's drafting expertise...

Equally over the course of camp I think he has missed 5 or 6 times from inside 50. You can't have that. Those kicks HAVE to be routine. He needs to finish strong to be sure of winning the job IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Equally over the course of camp I think he has missed 5 or 6 times from inside 50. You can't have that. Those kicks HAVE to be routine. He needs to finish strong to be sure of winning the job IMO.

8-8 from 30-39

12-15 from 40-49

5-8 from 50+

works out to 25-31 or 80.6%

hauschka is:

6-6 from 30-39

7-7 from 40-49

4-8 from 50+

works out to 17-21 or 81%. A slight advantage in % but he's also a day behind. Interested to see where it shakes out whenever he gets to have his shot at round 4 of this matchup in the next couple days. I will say hearing about him come up short on 2 straight 50 yd attempts the other day is sort of cringe worthy.

BTW both of those percentages would workout to about dead last among kickers last season.... thats slightly unsettling.

EDIT: Wrong about ranking. 80% would place a kicker who played most of the season last year at about #20

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

8-8 from 30-39

12-15 from 40-49

5-8 from 50+

hauschka is:

6-6 from 30-39

7-7 from 40-49

4-8 from 50+

works out to 17-21 or 81%. A slight advantage in % but he's also a day behind. Interested to see where it shakes out whenever he gets to have his shot at round 4 of this matchup in the next couple days. I will say hearing about him come up short on 2 straight 50 yd attempts the other day is sort of cringe worthy.

BTW both of those percentages would workout to about dead last among kickers last season.... thats slightly unsettling.

Cheers. Okay so only 3 from inside 50. That is better than I thought. You can't miss from under 50. You just can't. I don't think this competition has gone anywhere yet. Bass is slightly better from 50+ but he is less reliable from inside 50. I would have predicted that day 1 of camp and the dial hasn't been moved by either.

5 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

8-8 from 30-39

12-15 from 40-49

5-8 from 50+

hauschka is:

6-6 from 30-39

7-7 from 40-49

4-8 from 50+

Yeah, but most kickers benefit from a bunch of under 30 yard FG attempts. You make most kickers kick that many from 40+, the percentages are gonna take a drop. 

2 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Yeah, but most kickers benefit from a bunch of under 30 yard FG attempts. You make most kickers kick that many from 40+, the percentages are gonna take a drop. 

good point. they really arent letting them attempt any chip shots.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Cheers. Okay so only 3 from inside 50. That is better than I thought. You can't miss from under 50. You just can't. I don't think this competition has gone anywhere yet. Bass is slightly better from 50+ but he is less reliable from inside 50. I would have predicted that day 1 of camp and the dial hasn't been moved by either.

well haush is one day shy in the comp, so for his sake he better keep that perfect streak going from 49 and below when his number is called again.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

Just now, Stank_Nasty said:

good point. they really arent letting them attempt and chip shots.

The question boils down to: do you want someone who is almost guaranteed from under 50; or do you want someone that is gonna miss some under 50, but hit a bunch from over 50? 

If it were just about this year, I would want Hauschka. But its also about the future. We drafted Bass, we should play Bass.  

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'll go back to what I said previously...I don't think all days of the "competition" are equal.  When both kickers had to perform in the stadium last week, where the wind and atmosphere are different, Bass was clearly better and Hauschka was short from 50+ three times.  I think the scrimmage in the stadium tomorrow plays a very large part in deciding this, and my gut still tells me they go with the rookie.

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

well haush is one day shy in the comp, so for his sake he better keep that perfect streak going from 49 and below when his number is called again.

I'd pretty much trust Haush with my life to make a clutch kick from under 50. It is over 50 where he increasingly is having issues.

4 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

The question boils down to: do you want someone who is almost guaranteed from under 50; or do you want someone that is gonna miss some under 50, but hit a bunch from over 50? 

If it were just about this year, I would want Hauschka. But its also about the future. We drafted Bass, we should play Bass.  

But the Bills window is open. I am not cutting Haush if I still think there is a risk of Bass missing from inside 50 more than 1 or 2 kicks a season, tops.

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd pretty much trust Haush with my life to make a clutch kick from under 50. It is over 50 where he increasingly is having issues.

Last year he had issues in general. he missed one from 30-39 and another from 40-49..... also i was wrong on % ranking around dead last 80% would put somebody that played the duration of last year around #20.

He also missed 2 XP's which put his make % there at 20th.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

4 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I think limiting our range with Hauschka at 50 directly impacts us  in game plans. Now we are most likely punting or having to go for it. I go with the big leg. Just my opinion .  

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But the Bills window is open. I am not cutting Haush if I still think there is a risk of Bass missing from inside 50 more than 1 or 2 kicks a season, tops.

Window is open now. That said, if Allen develops, we will have a much better chance next year. 

I think the Bills will be good this year, but I don't think they are going to the Super Bowl.  Next year, maybe. Either way, we will need a kicker that is reliable. Haush will be another year down the road, and we may very well end up cutting Dustin Hopkins again. 

2 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

I think limiting our range with Hauschka at 50 directly impacts us  in game plans. Now we are most likely punting or having to go for it. I go with the big leg. Just my opinion .  

Yeah, reasonable minds can disagree. I still vote Bass, just for different reasons. 

Edited by JoshAllenHasBigHands
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

BTW, i'm with you in the fact that if he can be automatic inside 50 i'd choose him over Bass.... i just dont know if i'm still willing to say thats the case.

3 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Last year he had issues in general. he missed one from 30-39 and another from 40-49..... also i was wrong on % ranking around dead last 80% would put somebody that played the duration of last year around #20.

Where would his percentage on kicks under 50 put him last year is the question? Not sure that is easy to find out without taking everyone's 50+ kicks off. My thinking is he is still one of the most reliable kickers in the NFL below 50 yards. I'm not sure I am willing to trade that in for an unreliable big leg. I would rather go for more 4th downs in that 50-55 yard range if it comes to it.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Where would his percentage on kicks under 50 put him last year is the question? Not sure that is easy to find out without taking everyone's 50+ kicks off. My thinking is he is still one of the most reliable kickers in the NFL below 50 yards. I'm not sure I am willing to trade that in for an unreliable big leg. I would rather go for more 4th downs in that 50-55 yard range if it comes to it.

21-23 definitely looks a lot better when you take out his 50+ yard attempts.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree 1000%.  What good is having a cannon for a leg if you can't hit from 38-40 like clockwork...kinda the same thing as what good is having a howitzer for an arm but can't hit the broadside of a barn, from inside of it lol.  

I didn't realize Bass had missed 5 or 6 times from inside of 50.  Here's to hoping it's just rookie nerves or getting the rust out...i really want this kid to make it.  With that said though, if Hauschka outperforms him and wins the job outright, he'll definitely have earned it, and perhaps the competition he's had to face from Bass was what he needed to dial back in and become Haus-money once again..

9 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

Agree 1000%.  What good is having a cannon for a leg if you can't hit from 38-40 like clockwork...kinda the same thing as what good is having a howitzer for an arm but can't hit the broadside of a barn, from inside of it lol.  

I didn't realize Bass had missed 5 or 6 times from inside of 50.  Here's to hoping it's just rookie nerves or getting the rust out...i really want this kid to make it.  With that said though, if Hauschka outperforms him and wins the job outright, he'll definitely have earned it, and perhaps the competition he's had to face from Bass was what he needed to dial back in and become Haus-money once again..

Stank corrected me it is actually three times from inside 50.... but Haush is 100% from under 50. We have to have a kicker who is borderline automatic from inside 50 yards in my mind. We won games last year because opposing kickers missed from inside 50. You can't have it.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Stank corrected me it is actually three times from inside 50.... but Haush is 100% from under 50. We have to have a kicker who is borderline automatic from inside 50 yards in my mind. We won games last year because opposing kickers missed from inside 50. You can't have it.

bac8a866c12ce44e7ee598290a3b830d.jpg

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

WRT Hausch inside the 50

Look at the film.

From the Right hash 45 and under - he was very BAD. 

From the Left hash and middle of the field he was much much better.

Every time the ball was placed on the right I knew he'd miss. 

So did he only kick from the right hash inside the 50 twice all year? Cos he only missed inside the 50 twice.