NFL considering league-wide policy to allow fan sound in stadiums

YoloinOhio

I will be disappointed if this happens. I know teams often pump in crowd noise during practices to more closely replicate the game-day experience. But, this seems more like a creative decision on the part of NFL producers. Personally, I'm much more in favor of hearing more of what's happening on the field. Sans crowd noise, the logical creative decision for the directors, regarding the soundtrack, would be to play up all the hits, and banter on the field. Screw the canned crowd noise. Get a dozen more shotgun microphones, and a sound mixer who understands football.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I’ve found the canned sound on MLB games (particularly radio play by play where it almost comes across as echoing) to be off-putting and distracting, kinda bc I know it’s fake too? IRL makes all the difference. I’m sure this won’t be any better unfortunately. I’m with @Rocky Landing on this one. Catching the first few Bundesliga matches this year with no crowd noise was actually pretty cool, getting to hear the player shouts/commands etc was more entertaining/educational. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

As long as they ban train horms I'm fine with it.

On a serious note - I actually like what the NHL has done with the crowd noise for playoffs.  Part of it I think is they are being skilled in how they are executing it - a lot of the time I forget that it's fake.   

1 hour ago, Richard Noggin said:

Record me losing my mind at home. I'm good for at least one false start or delay of game each week. 

you need to focus and ignore the noise...or go to silent count. Come on, you're not a rookie

1 hour ago, stevewin said:

As long as they ban train horms I'm fine with it.

On a serious note - I actually like what the NHL has done with the crowd noise for playoffs.  Part of it I think is they are being skilled in how they are executing it - a lot of the time I forget that it's fake.   

Disagree with you on both counts. As @NoHuddleKelly12 said, having no crowd noise, and focusing on what's happening on the field, and sidelines would be both entertaining, and educational. I think we'd all come away having a greater understanding of football.

And, having the train horn without crowds would be hilarious.

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

They are doing the crowd noise for the NHL playoffs. No surprise that the NFL would do the same.

It kinda works and it kinda doesn't.....I personally am not a big fan of canned noise.....

I've given this topic the time and consideration it deserves, and I can honestly say I don't give a rat's ass whether or not they pump sound into the stadiums because I'm going to be glued to the set regardless.

• Thank you (+1) 1