Heath Farwell interview 8/16

HappyDays

31 minutes ago, PirateHookerMD said:

This guy is on the hot seat and needs to step it up this year

He's holding himself accountable, which is refreshing. Complimenting player physical skill sets is one thing, when you start saying they understand the game extremely well, that puts all the accountability on scheme.

Honestly, one of the best things about Beane and McDermott and "the process" in general is process over outcome. I imagine dude fully believes that if he schemes something that should work say 75% of the time, and is the most likely play to succeed in that situation, and that play is called and fails, the coach will receive praise from the head coach and the gm...very different from when Rex was here for sure.

Makes me curious how the throwback play against the Texans went over during film study...my understanding is that Allen should have audibled out of it given the defensive look.

I see ST progress as a decrease in penalties we take (example LorAx had 2 on back-to-back plays last season) as well making a big play and preventing ...good ole Pats blocked 4 punts out of 9 total in the NFL last season and one of course was against us, which was a difference maker in a close home game loss. 

Investment in Tyler M (MLB) 3.4 M and Taiwan J (RB) 1.6M as well as Andre R (WR) 2M is over 7M which is shows they value ST skills....any position play from them is a bonus,

I was interested in Roberts comments.  What he said about Roberts is what I saw last season, and it's what makes think they won't cut him because McKenzie is more versatile.  Roberts has excellent hands, but what makes  him special is how he sees the field and sets up his returns.  He really does look like he can can go all the way on every return.  You can see that he feels it somehow.  

5 hours ago, RussellDopeland said:

Wasn't enamored with the ST units last season, but I'll cut him some slack. And how can you bash a guy with a cool name like "Heath Farwell"? I think I might begin using it as a pseudonym. I can only use Dixon Cider or Philip Oliver Holz so often.

Most people just use their real name. Boring, but it gets the job done.

14 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Does Gillum have a shot at replacing DiMarco?

I think and hope so .... he also brings more football running ability to the backfield ... DiMarcoi s my surprise cut as I see Gillum taking his spot

Edited by CSBill

14 hours ago, RussellDopeland said:

Wasn't enamored with the ST units last season, but I'll cut him some slack. And how can you bash a guy with a cool name like "Heath Farwell"? I think I might begin using it as a pseudonym. I can only use Dixon Cider or Philip Oliver Holz so often.

Have to admit I chuckled out loud.  Any Cheers fans here?  Sam Malone used to use Lance Manion on the road...

16 hours ago, RussellDopeland said:

Phil Herr Pühper called... 

On 8/16/2020 at 12:02 PM, eball said:

So, this Farwell character apparently enjoys dishing out the praise, eh?

Seriously.  This guy has no clue how to write for a WNY audience.  Farwell is so saccharine sweet I had read 23 Jerry Sullivan columns and punch myself repeatedly in the testicles to get all the positivity out.   

10 hours ago, CSBill said:

I think and hope so .... he also brings more football running ability to the backfield ... DiMarcoi s my surprise cut as I see Gillum taking his spot

Can Gillum run the X-route like DiMarco? Thats a big part of Daboll's offense.

On 8/16/2020 at 1:03 PM, First Round Bust said:

I see ST progress as a decrease in penalties we take (example LorAx had 2 on back-to-back plays last season) as well making a big play and preventing ...good ole Pats blocked 4 punts out of 9 total in the NFL last season and one of course was against us, which was a difference maker in a close home game loss. 

Investment in Tyler M (MLB) 3.4 M and Taiwan J (RB) 1.6M as well as Andre R (WR) 2M is over 7M which is shows they value ST skills....any position play from them is a bonus,

ST progress would be to avoid that laughable blocked punt against the Pats. the play was destined for failure before the ball was snapped, that is on the ST coach for at a minimum not calling a timeout.