Has MLB shown a "non-bubble" plan is doomed for failure?

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

As a registered Dem., I still voted for him. Andrew Gilliam was a joke of a candidate. I hoped for the best. Surprisingly, I like most of what he's done so far. From fighting for the use of smokable pot to getting rid of some ridiculous licence requirements for certain occupations. Ex. It was difficult to get a license just to braid hair. He helped food truck vendors keep their businesses when brick and mortar restaurants tried to limit their areas of business. Also one of the few Republicans who provided raises to state employees. This, though is too serious a matter for him to follow trump's "lead". You're are right to wait to see what options we have, but this is too big of a deal to forget his bumbling of this situation. The " we have more positive tests cuz we're testing more" line just sticks in my craw. That's too trump-like for me. He really can't believe that comment makes sense. I hope.

You are very reasonable and therefore you will be no fun to argue with.?

NYC is by far the most densely populated city in our country.

That combined with European visitors bringing Covid through the back door of the East Coast while everyone had their eyes on China is the reason for the explosion of deaths and cases in NYC and surrounding areas in that first month or 2.

But there's no denying that what Cuomo has done in NY since that initial outbreak has been some of the best leadership we've seen in this country since the Pandemic began... probably longer.

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

19 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Its physically impossible to have a bubble environment for both Baseball and Football. 

...and hockey and basketball.  They can "bubble" for the conclusion of this season, but come the late fall/early winter, it will not be an option for the 20-21 seasons.

This may be the ultimate test of team and local culture. Those teams who really want to win and stay healthy will do whatever it takes to do so and will treat Covid just like they treat their diet and working out and learning their playbook. Those teams that blow it off as an inconvenience will more likely suffer and catch it. It’s just too contagious to avoid it if people don’t buy in and purposefully try to follow the guidelines. 

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, Locomark said:

This may be the ultimate test of team and local culture. Those teams who really want to win and stay healthy will do whatever it takes to do so and will treat Covid just like they treat their diet and working out and learning their playbook. Those teams that blow it off as an inconvenience will more likely suffer and catch it. It’s just too contagious to avoid it if people don’t buy in and purposefully try to follow the guidelines. 

A Rex Ryan team would have 39 cases, 12 hospitalizations, and a dead ball boy by now. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Locomark said:

Good points.

Now if we could just get people all over the world to adopt the same approach, we might get to see the end of this, sooner, rather than later.

'Flattening the curve' was really necessary early on, as everywhere was in serious danger of being overwhelmed by cases. That isn't to say that the curve shouldn't be kept so, at all.

Part of the problems are related to countries not being prepared for how quickly covid19 could spread, and any of their 'track and trace' systems, simply couldn't keep up, for a whole variety of reasons, from underfunding, to a lack of a solid test.

As regards sports in europe, part of the reason why they have been able to continue to play games (eventually), is due to both extensive testing of players, and the simple fact that generally, people have been pretty good with observing lockdowns and social distancing etc. That isn't to say they are happy about it, but they are, mostly, doing it.  It needs to be said that it wouldn't have happened if the curves in much of Europe hadn't been flattened to a large extent, meaning that there actually was the opportunity to get back to some semblance of tracking and tracing, being worthwhile.

It also has to be said, that unlike in the US, Europe hasn't generally been politicizing responses to the virus. There are criticisms, for sure, but overall, people are simply trying to do the right thing first, and get around to having inquiries, etc. once the sh1t isn't still hitting the fan. Politicians are making concerns known, for 'future reference' but aren't necessarily going full bore about things, in part because the people wouldn't want that, but also out of a sense that the pandemic needs to be overcome first and foremost.

7 hours ago, Mango said:

A Rex Ryan team would have 39 cases, 12 hospitalizations, and a dead ball boy by now. 

And then he would said how great of a job he was doing and if there was a different coach in charge, they would have 50 cases.  

and there was a time that If you told me there would be no sports for months, I would have been in a really bad place.  But I actually did alright during that time.  But I can’t imagine not having football and the Bills.  But I don’t know how you do this without a bubble in a sport like football.  This is going to be so hard and I’m trying so hard to be positive.  It takes one idiot to bring down a team. 

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Like (+1) 2

On 7/29/2020 at 7:50 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

NYC is by far the most densely populated city in our country.

That combined with European visitors bringing Covid through the back door of the East Coast while everyone had their eyes on China is the reason for the explosion of deaths and cases in NYC and surrounding areas in that first month or 2.

But there's no denying that what Cuomo has done in NY since that initial outbreak has been some of the best leadership we've seen in this country since the Pandemic began... probably longer.

it can be denied 

• Like (+1) 1

I know we talk about the “politicization” of COVID, and that’s absolutely real, but in regards to that spreading it... how?  I mean, really, are you all going out and seeing massive amounts of people not wearing masks in public places?   I don’t.... and I live in Atlanta, which has been a hot spot.  Masks, literally, everywhere. ....and it’s been this way for months, yet here we are.  

Parts of Europe are behind where some states are in re-opening, and in reality that’s all this is.  

Densely populated areas with people not locking down and this will spread.   Masks and distancing help, but re-opening is the catalyst.   

I suppose re-opening is also political, but unless we all want to be NYC, where they had an insane amount of death, locked down, stayed locked down, and are still pretty locked down while businesses and restaurants are going under left and right, this is kind of just something we all have to deal with. 

MLB is over. My fantasy team is a growing list of Covid inactives. Wait until Trout opts out now that he's a dad. Unless they get some scabs there's no way they can finish the season. And didn't they shut down minor league baseball entirely? No idea what all of those guys are doing, but it's clearly just not worth it. Bubble or bust.

Shame because the Rockies don't look too bad right now.

Edited by Nelius

11 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I bet you won’t say it to their face!

As long as I'm 8' away, I'll do it.

4 hours ago, mannc said:

Really?  In what sense?  

Here's America, where we do EVERYTHING bigger than anyone else:

image.thumb.png.7df7b769b35e8f77a80d7d631b501cd3.png

And here's the UK:

image.thumb.png.916bbf29c2214d5338364f530c414b96.png

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

The sense that they have it under control right now, with cases and deaths way way down. 

We, you may have noted, do not.

UK has more CV19 deaths per capita than the USA.  How is that doing a better job?  

The fact that they have it “under control” now is probably because they are approaching some form of herd immunity, similar to what seems to be happening in NYC.  At any rate, the US is much bigger and diverse (in every way) than the UK and it’s difficult to generalize about the current course of the disease in the country as a whole.