Trump's railing about schools reopening, so might as well talk about it

9 hours ago, Gene Frenkle said:

I'll repeat:

As a parent, the last thing I want to do is listen to a bunch of old, cranky, cynical ***** tell them what's "safe" for my kids. The are other topics more appropo for your demographic.

Oh I see. So we are excluded from the conversation?  Our ideas are to be ignored?  So what if your school’s superintendent or board member didn’t have children?  Would you pull your kids from the school? 

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Gene Frenkle said:

Not the children, MY children.

Someone else paid that burden when you went to school, whether you went to public school or not. Now you're paying it back.

Horseshit, it doesn’t work that way.  Because people stole from my parents doesn’t somehow forward justify the theft of my labor.

My money, taken at the barrel of a gun, pays for your kids to go to school.

This makes me a stake holder.

Don’t like it?  Then stop making me an interested party through forced investment.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, BillsFanNC said:

I do. So does my wife, a pediatrician.

I do...3 but I don't have to worry about it much since my wife (a former teacher) homeschools my kids.  Best decision we ever made for our kids.

And those who worry about the social aspect, don't bother...they are actively involved in sports, church functions and other clubs to keep them around their friends (obviously before COVID)

• Like (+1) 5

15 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

I’m real proud of you. You go man.  You worked multiple times this summer. Hope you’ve not over exerted yourself.  ?

School opens in a few weeks you damn well better be there getting this figured out. 

So I’m an idiot?  Pardon me for coming up with ideas. What a whiner you are. I guess it’s from hanging around with children.  

Take it easy on the man, Jim. He worked 7 whole hours.

Edited by Koko78
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Koko78 said:

Take it easy on the man, Jim. He worked 7 whole hours.

Seven hours in a row? Damn. Talk about sacrifice. He deserves a Purple Heart. I would say monument, but they are not lasting very long these days.

• Haha (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, KRC said:

Seven hours in a row? Damn. Talk about sacrifice. He deserves a Purple Heart. I would say monument, but they are not lasting very long these days.

Well it's not the fact that he worked 7 hours it's the fact that he did so voluntarily and didn't get paid.  How noble of him!  I've never taken it upon myself to work outside of my daily work hours to plan and prepare for my clients.  And yes we both have clients.  His are children mine act like them.  :D 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Well it's not the fact that he worked 7 hours it's the fact that he did so voluntarily and didn't get paid.  How noble of him!  I've never taken it upon myself to work outside of my daily work hours to plan and prepare for my clients.  And yes we both have clients.  His are children mine act like them.  :D 

Maybe Trump will give him a Congressional Medal of Honor.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Gene Frenkle said:

I'll repeat:

As a parent, the last thing I want to do is listen to a bunch of old, cranky, cynical ***** tell them what's "safe" for my kids. The are other topics more appropo for your demographic.

It's not about you and your kids, it's about the collective.  My children are grown and out of school btw, and are independent thinkers.  I'd always warn them about folks like you are about labels and shaming people for having an opinion.  #suffragebro

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

15 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Annnnnnnnnd @Chef Jim realizes one of 2 things:

1) He's lost an argument 

2) He's been discovered trolling 

I'm going to assume the best of him and believe it's #1. :thumbsup:

So because I work more than 7 hours a week and don't have time to read your whining diatribes I've either lost or am trolling.  Nah I'm busy working this summer and the past four months.  

4 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

So because I work more than 7 hours a week and don't have time to read your whining diatribes I've either lost or am trolling.  Nah I'm busy working this summer and the past four months.  

But

he

does

space

his

thoughts

out

appropriately.

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, 123719bwiqrb said:

But

he

does

space

his

thoughts

out

appropriately.

Which make them extremely easy to reply to.  

Besides @transplantbillsfan  you had nothing to offer other than whining and no discussions.  You wanted to hear nothing of any of my ideas and dismissed every one of them so no need to continue.  You'll all figure it out sometime.  Hopefully before little Billy hits 21.  

And it's funny you said I lost the argument.  I wasn't arguing.  You were. 

Edited by Chef Jim

10 hours ago, Gene Frenkle said:

As a parent, the last thing I want to do is listen to a bunch of old, cranky, cynical ***** tell them what's "safe" for my kids. The are other topics more appropo for your demographic.

Is there any data that shows that children are at risk from this thing?  Seems like everything you read and hear is that they are not at risk at all and don't even contribute heavily to its spread. 

27 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

Is there any data that shows that children are at risk from this thing?  Seems like everything you read and hear is that they are not at risk at all and don't even contribute heavily to its spread. 

It's the old, obese, diabetic teachers everyone is worried about.  Hell with the kids. 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

It's the old, obese, diabetic teachers everyone is worried about.  Hell with the kids. 

For sure there are some at risk, so protect them and let the rest go about their business. 

Edited by keepthefaith

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Besides @transplantbillsfan  you had nothing to offer other than whining and no discussions.  You wanted to hear nothing of any of my ideas and dismissed every one of them so no need to continue.  You'll all figure it out sometime.  Hopefully before little Billy hits 21.  

That is all he ever does. You can't engage him in a normal discussion. When he isn't having a childlike meltdown, he is being arrogant and condescending.

21 hours ago, Gene Frenkle said:

Yeah, I have one in high school and one in middle school. I'm undecided on this, but I'd prefer they err on the side of caution. I'd also like for this to not be politicized like masks and various drugs, but it seems like we're too late for that. The sensationalism is amplified by the fact that this is occurring in an election year.

My personal take is, I think, if you don't have any skin in the game, stay out of the debate. The states, teachers and parents should decide if and when.

Why not let the math and logic decide it vs the politics? Because then people can't hide from the fact that in all likelihood more students will die from suicide during a lockdown then will die from Covid if we open up and use common sense. The states that are staying shut are more interested in stopping Trump then educating their kids. The death rate of Covid in those under 25 is literally less than the suicide rate and it is not close. Please stop with health concern for students because you are either promoting your ignorance or promoting your politics over logical beliefs.

https://www.acsh.org/news/2020/06/23/coronavirus-covid-deaths-us-age-race-14863

Shows 150 under 25 died of Covid while the under 25 average over 6000 suicides. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

But not so busy you've been able to follow along up until now in this 15 page thread and insert several of your own whining diatribes.

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Which make them extremely easy to reply to.  

No. You misunderstand. I read every single one of your ideas. Most of them I asked you questions rather than outright dismissing them. Heck I think you had some good ideas actually. I just followed up with questions like, for one, how do you pay for it?

Believe me, I'm okay and will be doing my part in the classroom and through distance learning to help my students. As someone who clearly cares immensely about children without having any of his own and without being in a profession that even interacts with them, I think you should get involved a bit more.

Bring your good ideas to your local school board, for starters. :beer:

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

That is all he ever does. You can't engage him in a normal discussion. When he isn't having a childlike meltdown, he is being arrogant and condescending.

Wait, what is a "normal discussion" to you?

Is that when everyone agrees?

To me, that's far from a normal discussion.

@Chef Jim brought up what I thought were somegood and bad ideas and I asked him follow up questions. He answered a few with what I believe aren't reasonable or feasible answers. I stated so.

In your world apparently everyone agrees. At least you've made sure to diversify the type of people you've surrounded yourself with opinion wise. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Buffalo had shortage of school bus drivers before covid , now more are quitting.  So a hybrid system with those who can remote learn may be the better option and more parents driving students to and from school. 

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Wait, what is a "normal discussion" to you?

Is that when everyone agrees?

To me, that's far from a normal discussion.

@Chef Jim brought up what I thought were somegood and bad ideas and I asked him follow up questions. He answered a few with what I believe aren't reasonable or feasible answers. I stated so.

In your world apparently everyone agrees. At least you've made sure to diversify the type of people you've surrounded yourself with opinion wise. :thumbsup:

Nope. Agreement is not a factor in what is considered a “normal discussion.” Neither are tantrums and condescending behavior, both of which are prevalent in your posts. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

But not so busy you've been able to follow along up until now in this 15 page thread and insert several of your own whining diatribes.

giphy.gif

Yeah it takes a lot of time to respond to your whining.  

8 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

No. You misunderstand. I read every single one of your ideas. Most of them I asked you questions rather than outright dismissing them. Heck I think you had some good ideas actually. I just followed up with questions like, for one, how do you pay for it?

Believe me, I'm okay and will be doing my part in the classroom and through distance learning to help my students. As someone who clearly cares immensely about children without having any of his own and without being in a profession that even interacts with them, I think you should get involved a bit more.

Bring your good ideas to your local school board, for starters. :beer:

So I had some good ideas. Instead of saying “hey that’s a good idea, it will be costly but we’ll figure it out” you dismissed it outright with “how are we going to pay for it??”   Again figure it out.  Any good idea is worth finding the money to pay for it. Hell how my trillions has the Fed handed out?   

Most of this thread is about teachers, not enough about what's best for the kids. Once again, according to the best guess of science, kids have less then 1 in a 1,000 chance of getting or giving this virus, they have a far, far better chance of getting the flu, then covid19

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

There's anecdotal evidence that young people with COVID get some weird clotting disease in their lungs which apparently causes lifelong scarring & reduced lung function.

Haven't seen any studies yet determining whether that's due to COVID or merely associated with COVID.  Also haven't seen how prevalent those cases are.  Nor, how they've determined the damage is "permanent" though if the scarring is very bad could see them analogyzing it to other traumatic lung damage.

That one seems to be a major reason those that don't want schools opening back up use to justify their position.  If they ever had more than anecdotes, maybe there'd be reason to give it credence.  But so far, haven't seen hard data and would expect that to be a major issue in places like Sweden that didn't shut down schools if it were a true major side effect.  But we didn't see it.

6 minutes ago, ALF said:

Teachers are so worried about returning to school that they're preparing wills

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/16/us/coronavirus-teachers-preparing-wills/index.html

Throw in flu season and it is more stress

Teachers, the staffs, cafeteria workers, and I know from experience that down the road from here the nursing home has tons of kids from local high schools working there. If they pick up something at school and bring it to that nursing home, gees! 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, bilzfancy said:

Most of this thread is about teachers, not enough about what's best for the kids. Once again, according to the best guess of science, kids have less then 1 in a 1,000 chance of getting or giving this virus, they have a far, far better chance of getting the flu, then covid19

What?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

What?

Don't trust numbers coming out of Florida, many hospitals had 100% positives, when it was closer to 8%, also many labs here said they've recorded many false positives

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Teachers, the staffs, cafeteria workers, and I know from experience that down the road from here the nursing home has tons of kids from local high schools working there. If they pick up something at school and bring it to that nursing home, gees! 

Then we do not allow students to work in old folks homes- it is more important they get educated then volunteer at the home. The kids need to be in school, that has been shown with every large study and is supported by every group who understands math.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, bilzfancy said:

Don't trust numbers coming out of Florida, many hospitals had 100% positives, when it was closer to 8%, also many labs here said they've recorded many false positives

31.1%

You said kids have less than a 1 in 1000 chance to get the virus. 16,797 kids under 18 have tested positive in Florida. For your statement of 1 in 1000 chance to get the virus to be correct, that means 16,797,000 tests would have been done on kids under 18 so far in Florida alone. That is almost 17 million. To put this in perspective, the entire US has done ~ 45 million tests so far.

You are full of it.

Edited by wAcKy ZeBrA
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

31.1%

You said kids have less than a 1 in 1000 chance to get the virus. 16,797 kids under 18 have tested positive in Florida. For your statement of 1 in 1000 chance to get the virus to be correct, that means 16,797,000 tests would have been done on kids under 18 so far in Florida alone. That is almost 17 million. To put this in perspective, the entire US has done ~ 45 million tests so far.

You are full of it.

Those numbers are bullschiff but believe what you want, Warren

14 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Teachers, the staffs, cafeteria workers, and

I know from experience that down the road from here the nursing home has tons of kids from local high schools working there.

If they pick up something at school and bring it to that nursing home, gees! 

That is not true.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Then we do not allow students to work in old folks homes- it is more important they get educated then volunteer at the home. The kids need to be in school, that has been shown with every large study and is supported by every group who understands math.

So you have seen or done the math and extrapolations huh? Done the projections that kids - while having a low death rate - are likely to continue spreading the virus with schools acting as a transmission conduit that had not yet existed...and in light of a non-existent test and trace system - will continue the unabated spread. in red states like FLA.

But perhaps you know this and can show how this result is worse than sending kids to school with these "large studies" that independent agencies have performed.... 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, bilzfancy said:

LOL.  They have way more than a 1 in a 1000 chance of getting the virus.  The death rate may be that low and studies have shown kids have a 1/2 to 2/3 less chance of catching it than adults.  I don't know where you get your information from.

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, ALF said:

Teachers are so worried about returning to school that they're preparing wills

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/16/us/coronavirus-teachers-preparing-wills/index.html

Throw in flu season and it is more stress

As adults, they should already have had a will.  If this is the nudge they needed to have their families (and assets) protected after their death, well, ok. I hope they got a living will while they are at it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1