Trump's railing about schools reopening, so might as well talk about it

6 minutes ago, GOBUFFALO716 said:

Tuna And Jell-O Pie

There are certain things that just are not supposed to be together, and the tuna-gelatin combination here is one of these unholy pairings. This gnarly pie somehow won a Betty Crocker cooking contest in 1956, and features a pie base that is basically lemon jello mixed with tomato sauce, vinegar, onion, celery, and spices. To ensure that you get sick after your meal, the recipe calls for a healthy dollop of tuna on top.

Writers of the 1965 version of Betty Crocker's Dinner in A Dish called it, "pretty as can be." Yeah, no. This thing looks unnatural and would probably make aliens afraid of us.

Fish in aspic is a classic French garde manger dish.  Point? 

45 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Fish in aspic is a classic French garde manger dish.  Point? 

When it comes to learning classic French dishes, look no further than the expert chefs at Alain Ducasse’s NYC bistro, Benoit. Their authenticity is unparalleled, so you know you can trust Executive Chef Philippe Bertineau’s escargot technique. Prepare for one of the best bites from the garden. Get it? Says Chef Philippe:

“At Benoit, we import cans of wild snails from Burgundy called pomecea, they’re the best of the best. We prepare them in a very traditional fashion, because simple is always best. I like to serve the snails out of their shells in a escargotière, which ensures a neat presentation with each snail in its own compartment. When it comes down to it with escargot, though, it’s all about the parsley butter, garlic and shallot.”

The New England Journal of Medicine Spread of SARS-CoV-2  in the Icelandic Population
Study from April to June, Published July 11, 2020

Interview Link

</snip>

Roger Highfield, Science Director, talks to Kari Stefansson, whose genetic sequencing project has revealed how the UK infected Iceland, that children don’t seem to infect parents, and how to control COVID-19.

</snip>

Children under 10 are less likely to get infected than adults and if they get infected, they are less likely to get seriously ill. What is interesting is that even if children do get infected, they are less likely to transmit the disease to others than adults. We have not found a single instance of a child infecting parents.

</snip>

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

The New England Journal of Medicine Spread of SARS-CoV-2 &nbsp;in the Icelandic Population
Study from April to June, Published July 11, 2020

Interview Link

</snip>

Roger Highfield, Science Director, talks to Kari Stefansson, whose genetic sequencing project has revealed how the UK infected Iceland, that children don’t seem to infect parents, and how to control COVID-19.

</snip>

Children under 10 are less likely to get infected than adults and if they get infected, they are less likely to get seriously ill. What is interesting is that even if children do get infected, they are less likely to transmit the disease to others than adults. We have not found a single instance of a child infecting parents.

</snip>

That last part is really good news.

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Don't worry.

Good Teacher = Good Actor

I'm a good teacher.

Parents like me. Even the ones who annoy the hell outta me.

Not a clue what you're trying to accomplish saying this.

Are you seriously trying to accuse me of messing around with students?

Seems to be your implication otherwise I don't see the point of you tossing this word salad my way.

You're going to have to explain this to me because I don't get what you're saying.

Now teachers make substantial money with cradle to grave entitlements?

How does this fit in with any overall point?

So first of all, I don't have a clue to any of your NY references to teachers because that's not where I teach.

But I do believe overall, as a whole, you get what you pay for.

I will reveal more about myself by saying I graduated from one of the best High Schools in the region in the 90s: Webster High School.

I really did have mostly excellent teachers. My Wind Ensemble (band) teacher was old and nearly retiring and I know she was making 6 figures. We were one of the better schools academically--public, charter or private.

I teach in Hawai'i and we max out at a salary somewhere around $90,000 at this point. That might sound like a lot to you. If it does, you haven't been to Hawai'i, and more specifically, O'ahu. We don't have one of the best public school systems in the country. We're closer to the bottom than the top.

Now I was fortunate enough to somehow be hired to a fantastic public school in the state that consistently ranks as the #1 or #2 public High School every year, but that was luck. We have a siphoning faculty where approaching half of it rotates in and out because our district has a military base we serve and so a lot of military spouses come to our school for 3 year stints.

Other schools aren't nearly as lucky and suffer because they can't draw more teachers in.

That felt unnecessarily revealing.

We're teachers not Administration.

I would NEVER want to be an Administrator of any sorts, period.

If people hate teachers because of poor Administrations or Adminisrative choices, I view that as an unfair correlation.

I don't know how many ESL students you have, but living in Hawai'i I see them all the time. I think those teachers can be unbelievably valuable to helping students assimilate rapidly into our country and culture by becoming extremely comfortable with the language.

I've had students who were ESL I never would have guessed because they so quickly became fluent.

If there are a lot of ESL students in your area and you value assimilating immigrants into our language and culture, ESL teachers are incredibly valuable.

I don't disagree that money should be accounted for or allocated towards things like devices for distance learning in the Fall.

I don't know why you think I take anything here personally. I don't.

Well, I tried to stay out of this due to the potential for misunderstanding, but I jumped in.  Your original thread is titled "...might as well talk about it", so I did. 

Why on earth would you assume I was suggesting you were inappropriately involved with a student? I referenced a favorite coach/PE teacher from a couple years before you were born as a role model and whom I viewed as a stand up guy.  I'm nearing 60 and I still value the lessons learned.  My only point was reflecting in the moment that the stand up guy may have known about the other coach and his inappropriate relationship with female students. That has no reflection on you, may well be superfluous but how you jumped from one point to the other amazes me.  It also is the sort of thing that makes me think you take things, you know, personally. 

As for the paragraph as a whole, I was simply pointing out that while you seem to view things from the perspective of a teacher intent on doing valued work with students, many members of the community you serve likely view you as provider of service.  In other words, while you (not me) characterized yourself as a glorified babysitter in the eyes of some people...in a sense, you are.  ***Transpy, I am not one of those people, I value my relationships with my friends that are teachers, respect what a  good teacher brings to the table***.

The service provided is education. The education takes place at a HS, Middle School, Elementary school at a designated place and time.  Members of the community rely on the service provided, as outlined, based on the $$$ paid.  They plan around it, work around it, and in many cases sacrifice and work to end up in a particular district. 

That perception drives the reality and the expectation that you and yours should be open for business.  Don't shoot the messenger (schools are gun free zones). 

Cradle (from the first days of employment) to grave (literally) benefits and entitlements are part of the process in many states--I referenced NY because that's where I live, and in fairness, your thread title didn't specify "Hawaii Only".  The perception that teachers are well-compensated relative to occupation, enjoy a gold standard benefit package, retire at a relatively young age (55-59), while the taxpayer is 'encouraged' to work to 70 is a thing whether you want to address it or not.  

That matters in this thread because the perception drives the reality that you and yours should be open for business.  Don't shoot the messenger.

Thank you for the additional information on your HS years.  I didn't play the bassoon, but you raise an interesting point.  There are people that you serve who might think....my school tax is $8k per annum, why the %$#@ do we need a Wind Ensemble teacher banging down $100k+, with a health care package that likely equates to $10,000 per year, who will retire at 59, live to 88 and become, in essence a multi-millionaire pensioner.  ***Transpy, I believe in the arts and sports programs--at least to a point.  The system is what it is, and it seems silly to debate it--but it's one of the reasons the expectation is that you and yours should be open for business. 

Your answer, of course, is BECOME A TEACHER!, and that's fine and fair to a point, but that is not the point.  Perception that a teacher can make $100k per year (20 years ago) to instruct a bunch of pimply faced high school students in Johann Sebastian Bach's "Fugue in F minor" drives reality that you and yours should be open for business.  

As for ESL teachers, you used the word 'valuable'.  The flip side of assimilating into our culture and the relative value of same is that it's an expensive proposition.  It seems logical to me that the cost of assimilation should be borne by the person looking to assimilate.  I see the value, I simply don't see why it's my responsibility to fund it.  Be that as it may..

This perception can drive the reality that you and yours should be open for business. 

As for money being 're'allocated, it seems to me that industry as a whole seems to be finding the work from home model far less expensive than the traditional model.  I'm not talking about finding money for other projects, I'm talking about a straight up cash refund to tax payers.  The savings must be substantial.  It'll never happen--they will find a wway to spend it, but then again, that drives perception that people should be getting what they paid for--in school learning. 

Finally, I want some damn credit here.  I typed a lot of words, and not once--not one damn time did I imply that your cougar female wind ensemble instructor offered a young and impressionable Transpy midnight finger placement lessons--but I was thinking it. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This is only like at least the 10th different study that shows that the Virus either doesn't spread among children or at a much lesser rate.

Schools do not play a major role in spreading the coronavirus, according to the results of a German study released on Monday.

The study, the largest carried out on schoolchildren and teachers in Germany, found traces of the virus in fewer than 1 per cent of teachers and children.

Scientists from Dresden Technical University said they believe children may act as a “brake” on chains of infection.

Prof Reinhard Berner, the head of pediatric medicine at Dresden University Hospital and leader of the study, said the results suggested the virus does not spread easily in schools.

“It is rather the opposite,” Prof Berner told a press conference. “Children act more as a brake on infection. Not every infection that reaches them is passed on.”

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

and some lunacy...

this is about so much more than whether schools can open safely...wow

Question 6. Why do none of questions 1-5 have anything to do with the issue of whether or not schools should open?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

and some lunacy...

this is about so much more than whether schools can open safely...wow

It's freaking lunacy.   The demands from the Los Angeles teachers union was even worse and may as well have been a wish list by Marxist communists.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Magox said:

It's freaking lunacy.   The demands from the Los Angeles teachers union was even worse and may as well have been a wish list by Marxist communists.  

Which is why the NEA and AFT need to be broken.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Please point out where I said 17 hours a day. I didn’t and sorry asking you to work longer than usual hours isn’t fair.  How many hours have you worked since March!  How many hours do you work during the months is June and July?

Life isn’t fair sometimes. During times like this many of us are asked to go way above and beyond.  

The answer to your question is yes!  Maybe 6x12’s is not the answer but I feel the answer is there.  Tents in the athletic fields/parking lots. Reach out to FEMA for trailers. Reach out to local RV stores to borrow RV’s.   Have the community build makeshift structures.  I’ve thrown out lots of ideas and every one of them has been met with a “we can’t do that!!”   

I don’t read all your rants but I haven’t seen you say how much time you and your other teachers/administrators/community leaders have spent working on solutions. How much time have you spent on it. Sounds like I have more than you. 

Okay so I wasn't mistaken. You really are just being an idiot.

I've been at school working multiple times this Summer, including 7 hours in my classroom yesterday. I've been going into school sporadically for awhile to prepare my online curriculum and online databases like Google Classroom.

I've been doing this, as have MANY other teachers who I've also been seeing on campus, on my Summer vacation at a time I'm not being paid for that work.

I'm doing it because I care about my students' education and want to be the best teacher I can be in the upcoming school year.

Today I have a pile of 40 AP Lit papers I'm going to start giving feedback on and grading. I will be getting more in the upcoming weeks that I will be grading on my vacation.

I'm a teacher, not someone who sits in a Board of Education, in Administration or on a School Board. These decisions are not mine to make. I might have my own feelings about those decisions, but teachers don't have that much pull when it's all said and done.

Schools won't be going back full time in the Fall most places across the country.

Since that seems to be unacceptable to you and you care so much about the kids AND you have managerial experience, you should really consider a career change and go into Administration to enact some real change.

In the immediate future, go to your local school board meetings and give them your input on needing kids to go back fully and how you think that should happen. School boards and PTSAs across the country always welcome the input from concerned community members who care so much about the kids like yourself. :beer:

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I've been at school working multiple times this Summer, including 7 hours in my classroom yesterday. I've been going into school sporadically for awhile to prepare my online curriculum and online databases like Google Classroom.

I've been doing this, as have MANY other teachers who I've also been seeing on campus, on my Summer vacation at a time I'm not being paid for that work.

I'm doing it because I care about my students' education and want to be the best teacher I can be in the upcoming school year.

Today I have a pile of 40 AP Lit papers I'm going to start giving feedback on and grading. I will be getting more in the upcoming weeks that I will be grading on my vacation.

I'm a teacher, not someone who sits in a Board of Education, in Administration or on a School Board. These decisions are not mine to make. I might have my own feelings about those decisions, but teachers don't have that much pull when it's all said and done.

Schools won't be going back full time in the Fall most places across the country.

Since that seems to be unacceptable to you and you care so much about the kids AND you have managerial experience, you should really consider a career change and go into Administration to enact some real change.

In the immediate future, go to your local school board meetings and give them your input on needing kids to go back fully and how you think that should happen. School boards and PTSAs across the country always welcome the input from concerned community members who care so much about the kids like yourself. :beer:

image.thumb.jpeg.413bde74b583d75840227de7eb0e4b6a.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I’m real proud of you. You go man.  You worked multiple times this summer. Hope you’ve not over exerted yourself.  ?

School opens in a few weeks you damn well better be there getting this figured out. 

So I’m an idiot?  Pardon me for coming up with ideas. What a whiner you are. I guess it’s from hanging around with children.  

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I’m real proud of you. You go man.  You worked multiple times this summer. Hope you’ve not over exerted yourself.  ?

School opens in a few weeks you damn well better be there getting this figured out. 

So I’m an idiot?  Pardon me for coming up with ideas. What a whiner you are. I guess it’s from hanging around with children.  

I'm in the classroom not getting paid for my endeavors trying to make the upcoming school year as enriching and beneficial to the students as possible.

You're sitting here without kids of your own in a profession where you likely never even see kids complaining that all kids better get back to school full time while doing nothing at all productive in relation to those kids or your goal of getting kids fully back into class.

And you call me a whiner.

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Question 6. Why do none of questions 1-5 have anything to do with the issue of whether or not schools should open?

Question 7.  Why are there 47 layers of complexity filtered through 13 layers mental health subsets and and 7 emotional appeals applied to the question of “How will schools reopen safely” and yet the extraordinarily complex Society/Law Enforcement conundrum can be boiled down to cops bad/defund the police/burn some cities?  

• Thank you (+1) 3

??

Usually teachers as a whole are admirable but they have been embarrassingly bad with what is going on.  I hope that the teachers step up, trust the data and science and do what is right for their students.  Because right now, they are failing them.

• Like (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, Gene Frenkle said:

How many of you saying we should open the schools actually have school-aged children? Just curious.

i got two in college, i guess technically a bit higher risk than high school kids, and a zillion times more than grade school kids.. and am absolutely furious they may not have in person instruction this fall.

I would send them tomorrow if in person instruction was happening

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

i got two in college, i guess technically a bit higher risk than high school kids, and a zillion times more than grade school kids.. and am absolutely furious they may not have in person instruction this fall.

I would send them tomorrow if in person instruction was happening

Yeah, I have one in high school and one in middle school. I'm undecided on this, but I'd prefer they err on the side of caution. I'd also like for this to not be politicized like masks and various drugs, but it seems like we're too late for that. The sensationalism is amplified by the fact that this is occurring in an election year.

My personal take is, I think, if you don't have any skin in the game, stay out of the debate. The states, teachers and parents should decide if and when.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Magox said:

??

Usually teachers as a whole are admirable but they have been embarrassingly bad with what is going on.  I hope that the teachers step up, trust the data and science and do what is right for their students.  Because right now, they are failing them.

LA teachers will go back to work if those in charge meet their demands, which have nothing to do with safety but everything to do with their politics. Sooner or later they'll tell you what the real issues are.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

You're sitting here without kids of your own in a profession where you likely never even see kids complaining that all kids better get back to school full time while doing nothing at all productive in relation to those kids or your goal of getting kids fully back into class.

Holy run on sentence Batman!  I hope you don’t teach English. 

1 hour ago, Gene Frenkle said:

How many of you saying we should open the schools actually have school-aged children? Just curious.

I don’t. Point?

8 hours ago, Magox said:

This is only like at least the 10th different study that shows that the Virus either doesn't spread among children or at a much lesser rate.

Think of the children!!  

Wait....what?? 

16 hours ago, GOBUFFALO716 said:

Tuna And Jell-O Pie

There are certain things that just are not supposed to be together, and the tuna-gelatin combination here is one of these unholy pairings. This gnarly pie somehow won a Betty Crocker cooking contest in 1956, and features a pie base that is basically lemon jello mixed with tomato sauce, vinegar, onion, celery, and spices. To ensure that you get sick after your meal, the recipe calls for a healthy dollop of tuna on top.

Writers of the 1965 version of Betty Crocker's Dinner in A Dish called it, "pretty as can be." Yeah, no. This thing looks unnatural and would probably make aliens afraid of us.

FYI - mix the above, minus tuna, plus minced shrimp, and you have 'shrimp-dip' (okay, maybe without the lemon of the gelatin, but it requires gelatin to 'set-up').  I know it doesn't sound good, but I promise promise, it's freaking out of this world good, and is a requirement for every party my wife and I attend (I don't know if we suck so bad that we have to bring the treat to get admittance to said parties, but it doesn't hurt, and is what keeps getting us invited!) :)

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gene Frenkle said:

Yeah, I have one in high school and one in middle school. I'm undecided on this, but I'd prefer they err on the side of caution. I'd also like for this to not be politicized like masks and various drugs, but it seems like we're too late for that. The sensationalism is amplified by the fact that this is occurring in an election year.

My personal take is, I think, if you don't have any skin in the game, stay out of the debate. The states, teachers and parents should decide if and when.

Everyone who pays taxes is a stake holder.

Free me of the tax burden, and my position is irrelevant to that issue.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

My GOD, THANK YOU for saying this.  If you don't want my input, then stop taxing me to educate your flesh-turds!

8 minutes ago, TtownBillsFan said:

My GOD, THANK YOU for saying this.  If you don't want my input, then stop taxing me to educate your flesh-turds!

My issue is with the audacity to state education is a public interest, and to threaten to lock me in a cage for not contributing against my will; and then to tell me that I’m not a stake holder.

I think “flesh-turds” is malicious, and unnecessary; and counterproductive to the conversation.  Please consider this position.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Gene Frenkle said:

I have an 11 year old and another that is 4 that will be attending her first year of school.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

My issue is with the audacity to state education is a public interest, and to threaten to lock me in a cage for not contributing against my will; and then to tell me that I’m not a stake holder.

I think “flesh-turds” is malicious, and unnecessary; and counterproductive to the conversation.  Please consider this position.

Eh, I get your point, but we chose not to have any, and still have to pay, as if we did.  I don't have to be kind about it.  I pay the same, regardless.

8 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Holy run on sentence Batman!  I hope you don’t teach English. 

I don’t. Point?

Think of the children!!  

Wait....what?? 

Not the children, MY children.

6 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Someone else paid that burden when you went to school, whether you went to public school or not. Now you're paying it back.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Chef Jim said:

So changing the question?   No I don’t have YOUR children. ?

Point?

I'll repeat:

As a parent, the last thing I want to do is listen to a bunch of old, cranky, cynical ***** tell them what's "safe" for my kids. The are other topics more appropo for your demographic.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gene Frenkle said:

I'll repeat:

As a parent, the last thing I want to do is listen to a bunch of old, cranky, cynical ***** tell them what's "safe" for my kids. The are other topics more appropo for your demographic.

I appreciate someone wanting an option for their children- which is something that has been offered in FL for at least 10 years regardless of pandemic. My issue is when emotional people think their emotion should Trump my logic. I though must state the conversation here is far superior to the teacher groups in Orange County on Facebook, since even those I disagree want school back in session overall. A history teacher I am friends with, who has visited Auschwitz, actually was discussing this in relation to the Nuremberg trials, many other teachers agreed. I am proud to be a teacher but this kind of crap from them is embarrassing.