Trump's railing about schools reopening, so might as well talk about it

On 7/17/2020 at 8:21 AM, Buffalo Timmy said:

Way to reply to a topic completely unrelated to your stupidity. You made a guarantee that was 100% wrong, when I have stated in this thread multiple times I am a teacher. But on the new topic of American education system- where is our education system below standard and who is in charge of those areas? My son's school, which is public, literally has millionaires from other countries buy a home just to send their kids there since it is safer than the countries they come from and the education is excellent.

Well, now, Buffalo Timmy, that's just not F'ing fair :P

I don't have kids, we don't want kids, we (or I) am really bent out of shape that every year, the county wants to take my house, because I don't like paying property taxes on something the f'ing city/county/state had no part in my acquiring.  I'm okay with income tax.  But they can kinda suck a fat-one on property taxes.

...sure as hell wish cooler, NON-POLITICAL heads would prevail in arriving at a safe consensus to re-open......it's not for my benefit as my kids are grown and 5-7 years into their professional careers......I'm concerned about the younger ones being out of the social interactive environment daily with their peers since March....remember when you couldn't wait until June for the school year to be over and dreaded going back in September?.....they've been out since March and interacting generally with siblings and parents during home schooling (HOPEFULLY) as well as some interaction perhaps with friends.....

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

watch this piece, and then watch the reaction of the anchor at the end of the piece

He sounded disappointed to hear that.

This shouldn't even be up for serious sustained debate.  The data and science is clear, the risks for not having in person school 5 days a week outweigh the risks of Coronavirus to the students.

On 7/16/2020 at 1:04 PM, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

31.1%

You said kids have less than a 1 in 1000 chance to get the virus. 16,797 kids under 18 have tested positive in Florida. For your statement of 1 in 1000 chance to get the virus to be correct, that means 16,797,000 tests would have been done on kids under 18 so far in Florida alone. That is almost 17 million. To put this in perspective, the entire US has done ~ 45 million tests so far.

You are full of it.

The stat is LESS than 2 in 100,000 of kids who contract COVID, die.   Whereas the common flu 40 in 100,000 who contract the common flu die.  

Yes, kids are less likely to contract COVID than adults, but only by around 1/3 less according to estimates from various studies.    However, children are much less likely to spread COVID-19 than adults.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Magox said:

He sounded disappointed to hear that.

This shouldn't even be up for serious sustained debate.  The data and science is clear, the risks for not having in person school 5 days a week outweigh the risks of Coronavirus to the students.

...look at the mental anguish upon ADULTS......I believe some here have posted that they lost friends to suicide....so how do you expect younger minds to cope being out of their daily social interaction with classmates?.....sorry but pandemic, Covid-19, coronavirus et al are not in their vocabulary nor the ability to comprehend something last seen in the US since 1917.....

On 7/16/2020 at 12:46 PM, ALF said:

Teachers are so worried about returning to school that they're preparing wills

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/16/us/coronavirus-teachers-preparing-wills/index.html

Throw in flu season and it is more stress

So basically there is a story on CNN about irrational thinking people on their views of COVID.

You would think that out of all people, teachers would be pro science and pro data.  

If a teacher doesn't want to go to work, fine don't go to work.  If Parents don't feel comfortable then they should home school them, no problem.

But don't expect the school systems to punish their students by not having schools open all 5 days of the week. 

Teachers in order to get paid should have to show up to school, unless they can prove that they are in a high risk category.  Which could be a set of criterias of either being 60 years old are older.  Or that if you are younger than that, you have at least one underlying comorbidity. Aside from that if they want to get paid, they have to show up.

That's how I view it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Studies are showing students doing remote learning are falling behind, and the poor, and minority students are the most at risk of failing. Add to that, increased drug abuse and adolescent suicides, kids need to be in school.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, bilzfancy said:

Studies are showing students doing remote learning are falling behind, and the poor, and minority students are the most at risk of failing. Add to that, increased drug abuse and adolescent suicides, kids need to be in school.

...damn right on ALL accounts......won't be addressed, but how about the potential for child abuse with parents and children being under the same roof 24/7 versus parents working and children in school and/or daycare?...............

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...damn right on ALL accounts......won't be addressed, but how about the potential for child abuse with parents and children being under the same roof 24/7 versus parents working and children in school and/or daycare?...............

Exactly right!!

34 minutes ago, Magox said:

This shouldn't even be up for serious sustained debate. 

The data and science is clear, the risks for not having in person school 5 days a week outweigh the risks of Coronavirus to the students.

Thank you.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, bilzfancy said:

Absolutely!!! How can it not be? It's just as essential as law enforcement, health care.

We are an essential business.  Those that are high risk are allowed to telecommute. Those who are just concerned are not. 

2 hours ago, TtownBillsFan said:

Well, now, Buffalo Timmy, that's just not F'ing fair :P

I don't have kids, we don't want kids, we (or I) am really bent out of shape that every year, the county wants to take my house, because I don't like paying property taxes on something the f'ing city/county/state had no part in my acquiring.  I'm okay with income tax.  But they can kinda suck a fat-one on property taxes.

I am not sure what Ttown is but I will recommend you consider Florida, our property taxes are low and no state income tax. I personally prefer things such as property and sales tax but I am betting you and I can come up with a better plan then is currently in place in NY.

OUT: TEACHERS ARE HEROES. 

In: Please Don’t Make Me Risk Getting Covid-19 to Teach Your Child. 

Tens of millions of people are going to work every day; teachers are staying home and getting paid. Put public school online, and lay the teachers off if they’re that unessential.

Related: Schools reopening has not triggered rise in Covid-19 cases, EU ministers told.

I had my six-month checkup on Friday with our family physician.

She says that, as soon as schools reopen, there will be a massive increase in Covid cases for the simple fact that kids do not listen.

She also said that it doesn't matter if they re-open today, tomorrow or even next year, there will still be a huge increase in Covid cases.

She said that the only way to get rid of Covid is to find a vaccine, and that may take years.

2 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

I had my six-month checkup on Friday with our family physician.

She says that, as soon as schools reopen, there will be a massive increase in Covid cases for the simple fact that kids do not listen.

She also said that it doesn't matter if they re-open today, tomorrow or even next year, there will still be a huge increase in Covid cases.

She said that the only way to get rid of Covid is to find a vaccine, and that may take years.

Was she good looking? 

• Haha (+1) 1

VIRGINIA POSTREL:

Reopening Schools Is Critical. Teachers Should Do More to Help: Coronavirus risks can be successfully managed, but a powerful lobby is blocking the classroom door.

When the Los Angeles Unified School District announced on Monday that it will not resume any in-person instruction this fall, it was a political victory for teachers and a defeat for families, science and opportunity for all.

The teachers’ union opposed reopening schools amid the continuing rise in Covid-19 cases locally, and lobbied for an early resolution to eliminate uncertainty.

Individual teachers were adamant about not taking risks. “As a teacher of 20 years, I can tell you there is NO WAY I would agree to go back to the classroom this year without hospital-grade PPE,” one wrote on the NextDoor social media site.

“I’ve taught for 15 years,” wrote another. “I catch every cold, sniffle and cough that enters my room. Call me selfish but I’m not willing to die so we can be less inconvenienced.”

Parents weren’t thrilled, however. “The prospect of another few months, an additional semester or, God forbid, a full year of studying from home is enough to make many parents, and their kids, burst into tears,” wrote Kerry Cavanaugh, a Los Angeles Times editorial writer with two kids in district schools. Political leaders, she complained, “have dedicated far more energy in reopening restaurants, bars and tattoo parlors than in figuring out how to safely educate the next generation. Schools are essential but they’ve been treated like optional services.”

Cavanaugh’s kids aren’t typical. Most L.A. public-school students are poor (nearly 80 percent qualify for free lunches) and Latino (73 percent). Although most aren’t themselves immigrants, about one in five is still learning English. Assuming parents still have jobs, they are likely to be essential workers who have to leave the house every day.

These students and their parents are not, in other words, the people debating and deciding whether schools should resume in-person instruction. They have no voice in the discussion. Yet they bear the brunt of the burden—and provide a central justification for public schools. Tax-funded education is supposed to give every child a chance to learn, regardless of income, to the economic and civic benefit of the general public.

Coronavirus policy in many places is being made by a coalition of Karens and activists who have less skin in the game than average people, much less the disadvantaged.

Teachers are honestly some of the most annoying people on the planet.

Pick a career that by definition is the path of least resistance with good benefits, decent salaries and bare minimum expectations (show up to work hungover and put on a movie, the horror!) 

Work after 3 pm “grading tests” and they act like they are working in the coal mine. Ditto for working on vacation, as if no other American has obligations when they are off.

Constantly cry and complain how just IMPORTANT it is for little Johnny to learn precalculus or write in cursive.

Demand more money because of the above and use the kids as a weapon (I had to buy colored pencils for the class for $20! I need a higher salary!)

And now, of course, even though they have bitched for a decade how important their job is, now it’s not THAT important that they go back to work despite still being paid.

And of course, it’s for the kids’ safety, even though more kids die from the flu every year.

Teaching is the career of choice for cowards, lazy folks and whiners and it’s no surprise that when stuff like this happens, they whine that the guy stocking the shelves at Wegmans needs to go back to work but not them.

Edited by FireChans

38 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Pick a career that by definition is the path of least resistance with good benefits, decent salaries and bare minimum expectations (show up to work hungover and put on a movie, the horror!) 

Work after 3 pm “grading tests” and they act like they are working in the coal mine. Ditto for working on vacation, as if no other American has obligations when they are off.

Constantly cry and complain how just IMPORTANT it is for little Johnny to learn precalculus or write in cursive.

Demand more money because of the above and use the kids as a weapon (I had to buy colored pencils for the class for $20! I need a higher salary!)

And now, of course, even though they have bitched for a decade how important their job is, now it’s not THAT important that they go back to work despite still being paid.

And of course, it’s for the kids’ safety, even though more kids die from the flu every year.

Teaching is the career of choice for cowards, lazy folks and whiners and it’s no surprise that when stuff like this happens, they whine that the guy stocking the shelves at Wegmans needs to go back to work but not them.

But they'll make some sweet azz Tik-Toks this fall.

38 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Most of the loudest teachers are just doing their union's bidding. What they're not grasping, and likely will never grasp, is that many parents are not in a position to quit their job so they can stay home with their third grader because a teacher is afraid they'll be part of the 1% of Americans who die from Covid.

This could end badly for public education, long term, which is why you see the unions doing everything in their power to crush charter schools, private schools, or any kind of school choice. Parents are simply not going to understand why they have to quit their jobs AND pay for teachers to stay at home.

I'll be curious to see how the red states handle this as we all know the blue states will hit their knees to the unions faster than Kamala Harris at a Willie Brown fundraiser.

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Most of the loudest teachers are just doing their union's bidding. What they're not grasping, and likely will never grasp, is that many parents are not in a position to quit their job so they can stay home with their third grader because a teacher is afraid they'll be part of the 1% of Americans who die from Covid.

This could end badly for public education, long term, which is why you see the unions doing everything in their power to crush charter schools, private schools, or any kind of school choice. Parents are simply not going to understand why they have to quit their jobs AND pay for teachers to stay at home.

I'll be curious to see how the red states handle this as we all know the blue states will hit their knees to the unions faster than Kamala Harris at a Willie Brown fundraiser.

wife and I were just talking about this. Friend of hers opeartes/owns several of  a higher end "pre-schools  franchise here in Richmond. Prints money in normal times. Now, she is actively looking for retail space to do grade 1-8 instruction during the day...and man it will not be cheap.but the demand from her clients is so great she said she has to do it. And the divide will grow ever larger still between those who can afford this and those who cant.

Anecdotally, also found out the private school here in Richmond where my kids went K-12( Russell Wilson went k-12 too!) is bursting at the seams with new applications as parents try to find any solution to getting their kids in school, now that most school districts here are going virtual for at least the first 9 weeks. Collegiate is doing 5 days on campus, in person , instruction. Good for them!

And again, the divide will grow even greater

12 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

wife and I were just talking about this. Friend of hers opeartes/owns several of  a higher end "pre-schools  franchise here in Richmond. Prints money in normal times. Now, she is actively looking for retail space to do grade 1-8 instruction during the day...and man it will not be cheap.but the demand from her clients is so great she said she has to do it. And the divide will grow ever larger still between those who can afford this and those who cant.

Anecdotally, also found out the private school here in Richmond where my kids went K-12( Russell Wilson went k-12 too!) is bursting at the seams with new applications as parents try to find any solution to getting their kids in school, now that most school districts here are going virtual for at least the first 9 weeks. Collegiate is doing 5 days on campus, in person , instruction. Good for them!

One of the dumbest things I've seen making the social media rounds from the usual leftists is this meme suggesting teachers should quit their job and get hired by parents to home school their children, insisting they'd triple their income and work with less kids.

All that does is show how little people know about home-schooling.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

And that is one of the most absolute frustrating things about the lockdowns and the media & political frenzy about the BLM protests.  (Not to imply that the lockdowns & protests are related.)  But while we are watching wide swaths of the cultural guardians giving extreme lip service to the concept that the lives of black Americans are far more important than we politically historically make them these same guardians are sitting idly by as policies that will disproportionately hurt black children are being contemplated and shortly will be implemented.  And not 1 friggin' word from any of them.

Not that we needed any more, but this is unquestionably proof that the people pushing this narrative so hard don't actually believe it.  If they did, they'd be up in arms.  Sooooo frustrating.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

I will disagree with you on this fashion- 80% of teachers are good at their jobs and are not whiners like being presented. I want to go to face to face now. The media though loves the whiners and incompetent to be shown as examples. I am currently pissed because here in orange county FL we teachers built up a ton of good will doing a great job under tough circumstances which is now being pissed away by a lazy and paranoid minority.

19 hours ago, FireChans said:

What profession are you in?

• Haha (+1) 1

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/not-sacrifice-myself-says-teacher-fed-back-school-190200955--abc-news-topstories.html

This is an embarrassing article from a teacher. Literally states " don't try and convince me, I will rip you a new one", or in other words she is not interested in facts or logic since her emotions reign supreme. Later on states how she is expected to be a martyr because she is teacher, because martyrs usually have to die for a cause greater than themselves and I am quite certain she does not see anything as greater than her. Finally she brings up gun control and school shootings, I would use logic about actual numbers and chance of random shootings but she is apparently cool with kids in major cities getting shot as long as she does not have to deal with it.

On 7/20/2020 at 12:40 PM, FireChans said:

Wow.

You seem like a pretty bitter and ignorant human being who knows very little about anything, particularly the teaching profession.

• Haha (+1) 1

TENNESSEE HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL COACH WRITES PERFECT LETTER ON WHY KIDS NEED SCHOOL AND SPORTS

“....What is the endpoint of this?” Perhaps a vaccine will soon be developed. We don’t know that for sure though, and we don’t know its effectiveness either. We have to begin to think of what the world looks like if Covid-19 never goes away.

For my part, I do not accept the last three and a half months as a model for what that world will be.

Let the young people be raised and formed. The risk to them is minimal. Protect the most vulnerable. Be creative in our solutions to this.

Please let them go to school. Let them play."

https://www.outkick.com/tennessee-high-school-football-coach-writes-perfect-letter-on-why-kids-need-school-and-sports/

9 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

This is not stating anything except they can not conclusively state teens do not transfer it( that was a lot of nots) basically the evidence is not definitive either way.

You're right, it's not definitive and they acknowledge several limitations, but you're conveniently (and probably tactically) twisting the indications of the findings of this study with what you say here.

• Haha (+1) 1