Trump's railing about schools reopening, so might as well talk about it

1 hour ago, ALF said:

Teachers are so worried about returning to school that they're preparing wills

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/16/us/coronavirus-teachers-preparing-wills/index.html

Throw in flu season and it is more stress

So let me get this straight?   So the fear of death is having people do planning?  I have a newsflash for them.  We're all gonna die and we don't know when.  

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

That is not true.

I would have asked him to define "a ton".  :rolleyes:

47 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

As adults, they should already have had a will.  If this is the nudge they needed to have their families (and assets) protected after their death, well, ok. I hope they got a living will while they are at it.

Not to pick a nit but a will does very little to protect your assets after death.  It's better than intestate but it will still be a mess.   

7 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Not to pick a nit but a will does very little to protect your assets after death.  It's better than intestate but it will still be a mess.   

We have trusts, but for most people a will is better than nothing. (I say that as the cost of a trust to be set-up can be prohibitive for some people.)

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

Just now, Buffalo_Gal said:

We have trusts, but for most people a will is better than nothing.

Correct but it will (no pun intended) be a mess with probate.  I work with an estate attorney so tells people who don't want to do a trust that he'll gladly probate their estate.  He will make a *****-ton (legal term) more money.  People are very uneducated on these things.  

Just now, Chef Jim said:

Correct but it will (no pun intended) be a mess with probate.  I work with an estate attorney so tells people who don't want to do a trust that he'll gladly probate their estate.  He will make a *****-ton (legal term) more money.  People are very uneducated on these things.  

I edited to add the cost of making a trust can be prohibitive for some people.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I also tell the same attorney just show them the rate of return on the cost of the trust.  $2,000 trust today could save $100's of thousands in probate down the road.  

I usually highly recommend against them but there are paid legal firms that do them relatively cheaply.  It's up to you to fund these trusts however which is key.  If you don't fund your trust you spent a lot of money for a nice binder of paper. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/10/2020 at 1:48 AM, KD in CA said:

No one (or at least I’m not) is saying open up as if there was no virus.  Obviously there needs to be significant workarounds.

But using the ‘kids might die’ excuse is b.s.  If a particular kid has a serious medical condition than that kid should stay home.  Otherwise, kids are not dying from COVID.

If individuals deem it too risky to family members to sent kids to school, they always have the option to home school.  If school districts want to accommodate distance learning for those people, great, have at it.  If a certain teacher is high risk, hire a sub.

But not opening schools because there is some risk or because it’s hard to manage or because certain teachers don’t want to come back is crazy.  If not now, when?  The risk profile will never approach zero until there’s a vaccine and that might be years away.

From the diatribe you didn't bother to read the IP was saying that the TEACHERS are at more risk than the students.  Recent medical observations are showing that even asymptomatic kids are actually experiencing damage to their bodies.  Look I get it - you think it is all a hoax.  The boggieman in the WH said it will all disappear when it gets warm out....Hmmmm.....not happening is it?  No it is getting worse....hmm....now the boogieman wants to hide the data.  Almost 140k people and their families just might disagree with you but what the hey they are a hoax too.  Right?  SMFH...

1 minute ago, Kwai San said:

From the diatribe you didn't bother to read the IP was saying that the TEACHERS are at more risk than the students.  Recent medical observations are showing that even asymptomatic kids are actually experiencing damage to their bodies.  Look I get it - you think it is all a hoax.  The boggieman in the WH said it will all disappear when it gets warm out....Hmmmm.....not happening is it?  No it is getting worse....hmm....now the boogieman wants to hide the data.  Almost 140k people and their families just might disagree with you but what the hey they are a hoax too.  Right?  SMFH...

He thinks this is all a hoax? Where do you get that from his post?

And good job turning he post into your opportunity to "Trump, Trump, Trump, Trump, Trump".  

Welcome! We need more TDSers here. :rolleyes:

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Google can't find that for me. Do you have a link?

1 hour ago, Kwai San said:

Congratulations, this post is in the running for Most Disingenuous Post of the Day. Don't come running down the aisle just yet though, we haven't heard much from Section8 yet. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

CA was horrible. I spent over $5K getting my trust set up, and that was a drop in the bucket compared to what CA does to your assets if you don't have one set up.

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

Congratulations, this post is in the running for Most Disingenuous Post of the Day. Don't come running down the aisle just yet though, we haven't heard much from Section8 yet. 

I'm a little disappointed he couldn't do a better job on the soundbites.  He got the "all a hoax" corner square but missed "Faux news" and "Trumpian".

9 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Yep...that's the rub.  Seems like we don't have much agreement or framework* around what our risk tolerance is for having kids in schools with precautions vs. taking the 'zero risk' approach that now seems to be the default response for teachers' unions and those who have tested positive for TDS.

* and yes, Trump does deserve some blame here for the absentee leadership.  I am becoming convinced that is going to cost him the election.

3 hours ago, ALF said:

Teachers are so worried about returning to school that they're preparing wills

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/16/us/coronavirus-teachers-preparing-wills/index.html

Throw in flu season and it is more stress

If a person who "teaches" needs  worldwide pandemic to be inspired to execute a will and health care proxy, they probably should not be teaching.

Jesus, this is pathetic. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

CA was horrible. I spent over $5K getting my trust set up, and that was a drop in the bucket compared to what CA does to your assets if you don't have one set up.

Each of our trusts were a significant cost due to privacy issues (not NYS trusts). The cost can be a concern for people.

3 hours ago, TH3 said:

So you have seen or done the math and extrapolations huh? Done the projections that kids - while having a low death rate - are likely to continue spreading the virus with schools acting as a transmission conduit that had not yet existed...and in light of a non-existent test and trace system - will continue the unabated spread. in red states like FLA.

But perhaps you know this and can show how this result is worse than sending kids to school with these "large studies" that independent agencies have performed.... 

The extrapolations have been done by people who recognize that young healthy people are just as likely to die from the Flu as from Covid. Covid is dangerous to people over the age 70 and people who have other health issues. In recognition of this I have had to limit my contact with my parents who are both healthy but older. Basically schools opening are not anymore dangerous to the students, and I expect parents to help keeps students who are infected away from the most vulnerable unlike NY did.

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

If a person who "teaches" needs  worldwide pandemic to be inspired to execute a will and health care proxy, they probably should not be teaching.

Jesus, this is pathetic. 

I have had a will since I was 28 when my first kid showed up, it is what responsible people do.

38 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Each of our trusts were a significant cost due to privacy issues (not NYS trusts). The cost can be a concern for people.

Privacy issues?   ?

Most CIA spooks work in the shadows, under cover and dare I say...in private.  Your cover is blown, and you might as well fess up.  How many kills do you have?  Is this a CIA drop zone/hot site?  have I stumbled into the dark web?  

PM me if you think these other mutts have loose lips. 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

The extrapolations have been done by people who recognize that young healthy people are just as likely to die from the Flu as from Covid. Covid is dangerous to people over the age 70 and people who have other health issues. In recognition of this I have had to limit my contact with my parents who are both healthy but older. Basically schools opening are not anymore dangerous to the students, and I expect parents to help keeps students who are infected away from the most vulnerable unlike NY did.

I have had a will since I was 28 when my first kid showed up, it is what responsible people do.

Yes, and while I understand procrastination and human nature, these are teachers being interviewed for news stories basically saying "Look, until I knew people could actually die, I never thought about it.  But hey, global climate change from cow farts is a real thing.". 

• Haha (+1) 1

Trump can say whatever he wants lol

he has zero control over which schools are opened and which aren't. thousands of counties across america have already said they are delaying their start dates and going with virtual learning. 

American schools can't even control a lice outbreak properly. do you know how fast the flu travels throughout a school? Now imagine a virus 3-4x more contagious. 

some americans act like their kid will lose brain cells if schools don't open...it really isn't that serious. safety should be our #1 priority. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Penfield45 said:

he has zero control over which schools are opened and which aren't. thousands of counties across america have already said they are delaying their start dates and going with virtual learning. 

American schools can't even control a lice outbreak properly. do you know how fast the flu travels throughout a school? Now imagine a virus 3-4x more contagious. 

some americans act like their kid will lose brain cells if schools don't open...it really isn't that serious. safety should be our #1 priority. 

...sure as hell sounds like a first hand experience...............

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Unforgiven said:

The science of facts, not feelings of hatred.

the only real data we have is that people under 30 have a very low fatality rate. that doesn't mean they don't get infected and that damn sure doesn't mean they don't get hospitalized and/or able to spread the virus elsewhere. 

there is literally zero science suggesting schools are ready to open back up. if schools were ready to open,  multibillion dollar universities who have staff who dedicated their whole lives to researching viruses would have come out and say its safe. instead they are closing their schools and turning to virtual learning. 

Edited by Penfield45
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

if the white house wasn't so concerned then why take covid numbers away from the cdc? 

they took away giving the numbers to the CDC first, the department of Health and human services will get them and distribute to everyone else 

including the CDC. 

1 minute ago, B-Man said:

they took away giving the numbers to the CDC first, the department of Health and human services will get them and distribute to everyone else 

including the CDC. 

nope. you left out the part where it comes directly through Trump and his team first before it goes anywhere else lol. 

its so obvious what they are doing and yet there are people like you defending it. sickening really 

• Haha (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

nope. you left out the part where it comes directly through Trump and his team first before it goes anywhere else lol. 

its so obvious what they are doing and yet there are people like you defending it. sickening really 

well, please relieve my sickness 

simply provide a link that says all COVID stats go to the White House BEFORE they go to Health & Human Service’s 

or you can just keep repeating your paranoid narrative. 

ADDED:

You know what?

I know that you are full of sh*t, so I’ll provide it for you 

from the New York Times 

The new instructions were posted recently in a little-noticed document on the Department of Health and Human Services website. From now on, the department — not the C.D.C. — will collect daily reports about the patients that each hospital is treating, the number of available beds and ventilators, and other information vital to tracking the pandemic.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/14/us/politics/trump-cdc-coronavirus.html

Edited by B-Man
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

It turns out Idaho laws are MUCH better at protecting you and your property by default. We re-did our Trust when we moved and the cost didn't even include a comma.

2 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

Wait so the cost is a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of probate. Sounds like a $5k well spent. ?

2 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

You Lefties should make up your mind. Do you want Trump to be a dictator or not?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Wait so the cost is a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of probate. Sounds like a $5k well spent. ?

It really was. I mean, once your married, with property and children, you need to protect yourself in CA because they'll hold you up forever. I really feel for people who can't afford to get that trust done.

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

well, please relieve my sickness 

simply provide a link that says all COVID stats go to the White House BEFORE they go to Health & Human Service’s 

or you can just keep repeating your paranoid narrative. 

ADDED:

You know what?

I know that you are full of sh*t, so I’ll provide it for you 

from the New York Times 

The new instructions were posted recently in a little-noticed document on the Department of Health and Human Services website. From now on, the department — not the C.D.C. — will collect daily reports about the patients that each hospital is treating, the number of available beds and ventilators, and other information vital to tracking the pandemic.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/14/us/politics/trump-cdc-coronavirus.html

Sickening really how you provide facts and Penfield sits in the corner pulling his pud.

LOL

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Privacy issues?   ?

Most CIA spooks work in the shadows, under cover and dare I say...in private.  Your cover is blown, and you might as well fess up.  How many kills do you have?  Is this a CIA drop zone/hot site?  have I stumbled into the dark web?  

Buffalo_Gal, aka Mrs. Smith does seem to take long "vacations" to faraway places.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

The states that are not going back are all doing it for political reasons, also I am betting you do not have kids since you do not realize kids do lose knowledge without being pushed to learn more 

Just now, Buffalo Timmy said:

The states that are not going back are all doing it for political reasons, also I am betting you do not have kids since you do not realize kids do lose knowledge without being pushed to learn more 

I don't have kids. But I can guarantee you I was in public schooling a lot more recently than you were, so believe me when I say missing out on a year of schooling is not going to hold your kid back. Your kid isn't going to "miss out on college" because he didn't attend in person learning for a year. 

Political reasons? You do realize the reason why we are the worst country to deal with this virus is because a certain side has turned the entire pandemic into a political statement lol. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

I don't have kids. But I can guarantee you I was in public schooling a lot more recently than you were, so believe me when I say missing out on a year of schooling is not going to hold your kid back. Your kid isn't going to "miss out on college" because he didn't attend in person learning for a year. 

Political reasons? You do realize the reason why we are the worst country to deal with this virus is because a certain side has turned the entire pandemic into a political statement lol. 

You can guarantee you have dealt with public schooling more recently then me? I am a high school teacher and have two kids in school, I know the system about as well as anyone here. It is amazing how the conservatives have caused 75% of the deaths to be in the dark blue areas, so please stop with your idiocy. Once again please keep making guarantees and promises since I know you have no clue.

• Like (+1) 3

43 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

You can guarantee you have dealt with public schooling more recently then me? I am a high school teacher and have two kids in school, I know the system about as well as anyone here. It is amazing how the conservatives have caused 75% of the deaths to be in the dark blue areas, so please stop with your idiocy. Once again please keep making guarantees and promises since I know you have no clue.

your a HS teacher and don't realize how poor the american education system is? shame 

• Haha (+1) 1