Trump's railing about schools reopening, so might as well talk about it

2 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

It really was. I mean, once your married, with property and children, you need to protect yourself in CA because they'll hold you up forever. I really feel for people who can't afford to get that trust done.

Even without kids. When I realized what a cluster***** I’d leave for my family if the wife and I go we got it done. Just had it updated.  I’m leaving everything to Tibs. 

• Haha (+1) 3

23 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Nope. Agreement is not a factor in what is considered a “normal discussion.” Neither are tantrums and condescending behavior, both of which are prevalent in your posts. :thumbsup:

Then I finally feel like a real member of this forum since this is all I see over here from you.

Minus the political affiliation, of course 

• Haha (+1) 1

Teachers unions have abandoned our students by blocking reopening

Washington Examiner, by Editorial

Original Article

Los Angeles County, the nation’s second-largest school district, announced this week that students will not be returning for in-person classes this fall and must instead continue to participate in the failed distance-learning experiment it initiated after the onset of COVID-19. This decision was made not by the parents or the schools but by the teachers union, which has opposed all attempts to reopen the county’s schools. United Teachers Los Angeles, which represents more than 35,000 teachers in the area, argued at first that the health of its members and the students they teach was the primary concern. How, they asked, would the schools be cleaned regularly

11 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

your a HS teacher and don't realize how poor the american education system is? shame 

Way to reply to a topic completely unrelated to your stupidity. You made a guarantee that was 100% wrong, when I have stated in this thread multiple times I am a teacher. But on the new topic of American education system- where is our education system below standard and who is in charge of those areas? My son's school, which is public, literally has millionaires from other countries buy a home just to send their kids there since it is safer than the countries they come from and the education is excellent.

It is amazing that rioters and looters, heck even "protesters" are immune from COVID-19, but church goers are not. <_<
It is amazing that grocery store clerks and gas station attendants are immune from COVID-19, but teachers are not. <_<
It is almost as if there is some sort of agenda...  ?
I look for COVID-19 to cease to be an issue for anyone on November 4, 2020. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

It is amazing that rioters and looters, heck even "protesters" are immune from COVID-19, but church goers are not. <_<
It is amazing that grocery store clerks and gas station attendants are immune from COVID-19, but teachers are not. <_<
It is almost as if there is some sort of agenda...  ?
I look for COVID-19 to cease to be an issue for anyone on November 4, 2020. :thumbsup:

@transplantbillsfan can do moar surfing now.  Win for teacher Spicolli!  Yeah buddy!

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Then I finally feel like a real member of this forum since this is all I see over here from you.

Minus the political affiliation, of course 

Hey lazybones - you got your way!  No in class teaching required! Hope you enjoy the extra surfing.  It's gonna be radical.

21 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I'm a little disappointed he couldn't do a better job on the soundbites.  He got the "all a hoax" corner square but missed "Faux news" and "Trumpian".

Oh I can easily pull those out....just like you trumpers have already pulled out the tired old beaten down TDS syndrome.  Face it...like you just admitted - the man ain't getting no more 4.  He shot hisself in the foot a few too many times......I actually voted for the clown show hoping he would drain the swamp...lordy that didn't happen and we all learned way more than we wanted to learn as things went on.....nuff said.

10 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Oh I can easily pull those out....just like you trumpers have already pulled out the tired old beaten down TDS syndrome.  Face it...like you just admitted - the man ain't getting no more 4.  He shot hisself in the foot a few too many times......I actually voted for the clown show hoping he would drain the swamp...lordy that didn't happen and we all learned way more than we wanted to learn as things went on.....nuff said.

Nice avatar - love Lawson's

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Two scoops.

On 7/16/2020 at 8:38 AM, Chef Jim said:

He thinks this is all a hoax? Where do you get that from his post?

And good job turning he post into your opportunity to "Trump, Trump, Trump, Trump, Trump".  

Welcome! We need more TDSers here. :rolleyes:

I had to look up what the hell TDSer is. 

Trump Derangement Syndrome.

Sure sounds like something a Russian bot like @Deranged Rhino probably came up with that while working for Cambridge Analitica with Brittany Kaiser during the campaign leading up to the 2016 election.

You guys need to lay off Twitter and Facebook so much.

You're being targeted.

And I'm only half joking....

Maybe a quarter...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 7/16/2020 at 9:48 AM, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

If a person who "teaches" needs  worldwide pandemic to be inspired to execute a will and health care proxy, they probably should not be teaching.

Jesus, this is pathetic. 

I don't even know if I have a will or a health care proxy.

I know I have life insurance in multiple forms that sets my wife up with plenty of money for the rest of their lives.

But me not having those things would have jack squat to do with my credentials or ability to teach Expository writing and literature to Juniors and Seniors in High School.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/16/2020 at 3:11 PM, Buffalo Timmy said:

The states that are not going back are all doing it for political reasons, also I am betting you do not have kids since you do not realize kids do lose knowledge without being pushed to learn more 

All the states not fully going back are now doing it for political reasons?

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/16/2020 at 3:22 PM, Buffalo Timmy said:

You can guarantee you have dealt with public schooling more recently then me? I am a high school teacher and have two kids in school, I know the system about as well as anyone here. It is amazing how the conservatives have caused 75% of the deaths to be in the dark blue areas, so please stop with your idiocy. Once again please keep making guarantees and promises since I know you have no clue.

Wait, what is "the system?"

High School systems all across your county?

Your state?

The country?

The world?

Just trying to figure this out because you've directly proclaimed you're the guy we all need to turn to in this discussion. Want to make sure I don't step on the toes of the Sultan of High School education.

giphy.gif

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I had to look up what the hell TDSer is. 

Trump Derangement Syndrome.

Sure sounds like something a Russian bot like @Deranged Rhino probably came up with that while working for Cambridge Analitica with Brittany Kaiser during the campaign leading up to the 2016 election.

You guys need to lay off Twitter and Facebook so much.

You're being targeted.

And I'm only half joking....

Maybe a quarter...

Lay off Twitter and Facebook?  Rarely use either. 

14 hours ago, 123719bwiqrb said:

Hey lazybones - you got your way!  No in class teaching required! Hope you enjoy the extra surfing.  It's gonna be radical.

You sound bitter.

Or drunk.

Or both, more likely.

I live in Hawai'i, not North Carolina.

Students are back August 4th.

Put down the bottle.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I know I have life insurance in multiple forms that sets my wife up with plenty of money for the rest of their lives.

But me not having those things would have jack squat to do with my credentials or ability to teach Expository writing and literature to Juniors and Seniors in High School.

I don’t know this Jack Squat kid, but if he’s anything like the Squat kids in my hometown, he’s a bra-snapping-toilet-clogger and general troublemaker. 

I was probably a little harsh there.  Many, many people don’t have a plan in place.  My visceral response came from a place where I think some teachers and teachers organizations  are utilizing the crisis as a hammer against the public they serve.  I do not place you, or most in that category.  That person struck me as soft and exploitative, apologies to that person if I misread them. 

Btw—the bra-snapping reference.  In between classes in my sophomore  year, there was the normal mayhem of kids moving about in a very busy school.  As I got my books out to go to my Expository writing class (I was an advanced student), I was looking around and saw this teacher talking to a group of students and he put his hand on the shoulder of one girl, rubbed her neck for a couple seconds, slid his hand down her back and snapped her bra strap.  

I was a naive kid, not so much sheltered but just unworldly. I remember looking around like “HOLY CRAP WTF!!” as life went on around us.  There were times it seemed like Thunderdome to me.  Btw—I do not think that most teachers behave this way, do not think you would and simply included it because I can. 

I’m also a fibber, because I was not an advanced student, and I may have been on my way to lunch, chemistry or PE. 

You should have a will and HCP at a minimum.  If you don’t outline your thoughts and plans when you can, The State likely figures it out on your behalf and you may not like their plan. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

If you don’t know then you likely don’t and if you don’t  you’re not very smart. 

What did you marry?  A cat?  

26 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

You should have a will and HCP at a minimum.  If you don’t outline your thoughts and plans when you can, The State likely figures it out on your behalf and you may not like their plan. 

Even if you do have a will you (or more accurately your heirs) will most likely still go through probate. 

• Like (+1) 1

I live in Hawai'i, not North Carolina.

Morning Transplant...aloha 

Which island are you on? I designed a school over there many years ago and I recall them saying kids weren’t required to wear shoes to school until the third grade or something like that. Is that still true today?

Wait, what is "the system?"

High School systems all across your county?

Your state?

The country?

The world?

Just trying to figure this out because you've directly proclaimed you're the guy we all need to turn to in this discussion. Want to make sure I don't step on the toes of the Sultan of High School education.

giphy.gif

The guy who argues with everyone and explains what an expert he is on all schools thing is calling me out. The guy knows more than the American Pediatrics Association is calling me a know it all. The guy who thinks the 30% of high schools that do block scheduling is the norm.

https://www.aasa.org/schooladministratorarticle.aspx?id=14852#:~:text=One especially attractive option has,alternative high school scheduling models.

Lastly I find it appropriate you are attacking me on a post where I responded to a comment that was 100% wrong on all levels and took the side of the factual incorrect guy.

33 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I'm thinking relative risk. The prospect of existing in a persistent vegetative state is a concern of mine. But I'm sure you're correct. 

Ask Tiberius, he'll tell you what it's like. Maybe even give you some tips on folding laundry. 

• Haha (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I'm thinking relative risk. The prospect of existing in a persistent vegetative state is a concern of mine. But I'm sure you're correct. 

Well you want medical directives and financial POA. We’ll make sure they pull your plug. ? 

8 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Morning Transplant...aloha 

Which island are you on? I designed a school over there many years ago and I recall them saying kids weren’t required to wear shoes to school until the third grade or something like that. Is that still true today?

Aloha!

I'm on O'ahu, the gathering place.

You're an architect? Is that what you mean? What school did you design?

Define "shoes." No one's showing up barefoot to school, but most people wear slippers (you'd know them as flip flops) year round.

My first year of teaching I showed up to school for the first couple months in pants, nice shoes, and a long sleeved shirt with a tie. I soon realized I was way overdressed for the islands.

Now I sometimes wear an Aloha shirt, khaki shorts and brown leather slippers to work and I'm plenty dressed up. It's definitely a different world from where I grew up.

8 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

The guy who argues with everyone and explains what an expert he is on all schools thing is calling me out. The guy knows more than the American Pediatrics Association is calling me a know it all. The guy who thinks the 30% of high schools that do block scheduling is the norm.

https://www.aasa.org/schooladministratorarticle.aspx?id=14852#:~:text=One especially attractive option has,alternative high school scheduling models.

Lastly I find it appropriate you are attacking me on a post where I responded to a comment that was 100% wrong on all levels and took the side of the factual incorrect guy.

Am I supposed to be "the guy" in this little rant? :huh:

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Well you want medical directives and financial POA. We’ll make sure they pull your plug. ? 

Done. I married an Italian woman who has convinced me I’m convinced that should the time come, a My Pillow over the snout does the trick just fine. I know she cares because a couple times I’ve woken up and she appeared to be about to practice.  

29 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Done. I married an Italian woman who has convinced me I’m convinced that should the time come, a My Pillow over the snout does the trick just fine. I know she cares because a couple times I’ve woken up and she appeared to be about to practice.  

I married a German woman. Let THAT sink in.....