Chiefs and Mahomes extension 40MM per year?

I question whether Dak is worth that kind of money.  I do NOT question whether Mahomes is worth that kind of money.  2 years as a starter, 1 trip to the AFC title game, 1 Super Bowl win, 1 MVP and record setting numbers.  He also came back from a pretty bad injury to lead the team, showing grit and toughness.  Dak signing for $35M is bad for the Bills as far as Allen's price tag if he continues to progress, but Mahomes signing for $40M is good for the Bills.  Allen would likely command the same or more than Dak, but less than Mahomes.  That said, if Allen has a MVP and a Super Bowl victory in the next couple of years, he will also be worth $40M+ and it will be a good problem for the Bills to have.

• Like (+1) 5

Mahomes is worth whatever he can get. I think Dak is really good and is probably worth close to $35. Wouldn't surprise me to see him do better under McCarthy. Just wondering how the cap will be effected by the loss of revenue this season. Could have an impact on the QB's.

• Like (+1) 2

Doesn't matter someone will always pay

And overpay so that QB won't go to another team imagine dak playing for wasington. Jerry would have a cow no way does he not sign for big numbers.

For us 1 year of that would set us up for life. I don't need a million dollar house with all the high prices cars.

6 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

But Dak wants $45mil ?

No. He wants $45m for the 5th year. That is the sticking point. If the Cowboys were willing to do 4 years $35m I think this would be done pretty quickly. The 5th year is the sticking point. Dak doesn't want a 5th year and the Cowboys do. Dak's side are saying "fine but I am not taking that 5th year on the basis of what yearly averages are now because by then Wilson will have extended, Mahomes and Watson will have mega deals, Allen, Jackson, Mayfield and Darnold all might too and Murray will be coming due. If you want me for that 5th year you are going to have to pay me what we project the market to look like at that point." 

It is smart negotiating. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Any deal Mahomes signs will look like a deal in a year or 2 as other QBs not even in the same weight class start getting close to the same $$$$.

If I was Mahomes I'd be looking for a 2 year $92M deal fully guaranteed, and just keep resetting the market every 2 years

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Estro said:

Any deal Mahomes signs will look like a deal in a year or 2 as other QBs not even in the same weight class start getting close to the same $$$$.

If I was Mahomes I'd be looking for a 2 year $92M deal fully guaranteed, and just keep resetting the market every 2 years

That was my initial thought... but there is so much risk in turning down 5 years $200 with a definite financial crisis in place and so much unknown looming. The NFL success grew during a time of great economic growth and will assuredly shrink as the economy slides downwards. The cap will not continue to grow if revenues don’t and salaries will fall in line.

11 hours ago, msw2112 said:

I question whether Dak is worth that kind of money.  I do NOT question whether Mahomes is worth that kind of money.  2 years as a starter, 1 trip to the AFC title game, 1 Super Bowl win, 1 MVP and record setting numbers.  He also came back from a pretty bad injury to lead the team, showing grit and toughness.  Dak signing for $35M is bad for the Bills as far as Allen's price tag if he continues to progress, but Mahomes signing for $40M is good for the Bills.  Allen would likely command the same or more than Dak, but less than Mahomes.  That said, if Allen has a MVP and a Super Bowl victory in the next couple of years, he will also be worth $40M+ and it will be a good problem for the Bills to have.

You don't think Allen could eclipse Mahomes?  Not that I'm arguing Allen is worth more or better.....he's not.  But it seems in the NFL that the latest contract, not the best player gets paid the most.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, msw2112 said:

Allen seems like he is so much of a homer that he may even give a home team discount so the Bills can have better players. Not that he would have to for me to favor him, just seems like that kind of guy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

$40 Mill a year seems a bit ridiculous ! Just saying ... I mean get it while you can if you can but in the grand scheme of things WOW ! 

1 hour ago, Estro said:

It really depends on what Mahomes wants.  IF he feels he is bulletproof, a 2 year deal makes sense.

BUT if he wants more security, maybe you leave a little money on the table and sign a 4-5 year deal, 80% guaranteed, 160-200MIL deal.   This way, if you get a catastrophic injury, you have secured your future and your families.

Who knows what he is thinking... maybe he wants multiple Super Bowls and become the GOAT+, take less money so KC can build a strong all around team.

35 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You don't think Allen could eclipse Mahomes?  Not that I'm arguing Allen is worth more or better.....he's not.  But it seems in the NFL that the latest contract, not the best player gets paid the most.  

Right now, at this moment, NO, Josh is not worth Mahomes money... 

BUT if Buffalo goes out and wins a Super Bowl and Josh puts up good numbers (he FINALLY has a #1 WR on the roster), winner the Super Bowl raises his worth significantly.

IMO, this is what Dak does not understand.  If he takes Dallas to a Super Bowl win, he can demand any money he wants... BTW, look at the other side of Dallas' team. Their defense if held together with bailing wire and duct tape.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

50 mil a year will have a huge impact on the kind of players that you can surround Mahomes with. If more rules are put in place that benefit the offense I can see 80% of the cap going to offense. Teams will start messing with no name defenses paying low level players 2 mil a year. 

I still 100% without a doubt, bet 50,000$, stick my head in horse ***** believe Brady was being paid under the table.

4 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

50 mil a year will have a huge impact on the kind of players that you can surround Mahomes with. If more rules are put in place that benefit the offense I can see 80% of the cap going to offense. Teams will start messing with no name defenses paying low level players 2 mil a year. 

Great.  I look forward to game scores in the 77-74 range.  I'll quit watching and following if that happens.  

9 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I still 100% without a doubt, bet 50,000$, stick my head in horse ***** believe Brady was being paid under the table.

Those teams would all have to change their names to "2011-2018 New Orleans Saints".

come on...

• Haha (+1) 1