Chiefs and Mahomes extension 40MM per year?

1 minute ago, Happy said:

Great.  I look forward to game scores in the 77-74 range.  I'll quit watching and following if that happens.  

If these QB’s get into the 50 mil range do you think they will surround their 50 mil $ man with crap O-Line? Or Crap weapons? It will definitely be the defensive side that gets hit the hardest.

If they adopted the rule change next year of WR’s needing only one foot in bounds for a catch we are well on our way to seeing games in the 40 to 60 range.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

No. He wants $45m for the 5th year. That is the sticking point. If the Cowboys were willing to do 4 years $35m I think this would be done pretty quickly. The 5th year is the sticking point. Dak doesn't want a 5th year and the Cowboys do. Dak's side are saying "fine but I am not taking that 5th year on the basis of what yearly averages are now 

It is smart negotiating. 

I think him and his agent are overstepping a bit. I guess I can't fault them for trying but man I hope the Cowboy's don't give in. I feel like the deal they have offered Dak is more than fair. Dak is basically trying to keep his cake and eat it too. Isn't he setting the market now with a $35 million per year deal? I don't see why he should be due the $40 or $45 million in the 5th year. 

1 hour ago, Estro said:

Any deal Mahomes signs will look like a deal in a year or 2 as other QBs not even in the same weight class start getting close to the same $$$$.

If I was Mahomes I'd be looking for a 2 year $92M deal fully guaranteed, and just keep resetting the market every 2 years

That's how players in the NBA have started to work their deals. Problem is, the NFL is still the ultimate team sport. I'm not sure the same strategy would work in the NFL. But no doubt the Chiefs would basically give whatever Mahomes asked for. Hell, I could see a two year 100 million dollar deal. 

5 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

That really screws up your cap when the team is paying that much cash for one player.

It’s the same percentage of the cap as it’s always been.  I’d take Russell Wilson at $60,000,000 over Goff at $30,000,000 though.  The truly elite QBs will always be way underpaid compared to the borderline franchise guys who earn 80-90% of what the top guys get.

48 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

If these QB’s get into the 50 mil range do you think they will surround their 50 mil $ man with crap O-Line? Or Crap weapons? It will definitely be the defensive side that gets hit the hardest.

If they adopted the rule change next year of WR’s needing only one foot in bounds for a catch we are well on our way to seeing games in the 40 to 60 range.

You're right, the defense will suffer if you pay one offensive player that much and surround him with other higher than average paid players; unless the cap goes > $200M very quickly.

I wasn't aware of that proposed rule change change.  I can see the plusses and minuses in this.  The plus is that there is less debate about was it a legal catch.  The negative is that the offense receives more preference, and yes, we will start to see more game scores in the 40s.

48 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I think him and his agent are overstepping a bit. I guess I can't fault them for trying but man I hope the Cowboy's don't give in. I feel like the deal they have offered Dak is more than fair. Dak is basically trying to keep his cake and eat it too. Isn't he setting the market now with a $35 million per year deal? I don't see why he should be due the $40 or $45 million in the 5th year. 

Well give him the 4 year contract he wants then is the simple answer.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

$40m seems like a bargain compared to Dak in a similar sense that we "overpaid" for Diggs compared to BOB's shenanigans. 

I think the NFL should adopt an NHL style individual player (at least QB) salary cap.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

You would know.

Cold, dawg...on so many levels.  ?

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Chris Simms is reporting that it's 40 billion.

Put everyone in a 'Dr. Evil' suspended animation, and in ten years it will be what the long snapper makes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

In hindsight, we should have probably drafted him. But he will be one if the few qbs who will deserve his money.  

the nfl needs to do something about this though.  It’s a joke how much qbs who aren’t good are getting paid. 

What is the league going to do about this?  Teams don't have to pay the Jerod Goffs of the world $30M/yr.  You can go out and get another QB.

• Like (+1) 1

Tbh, I don’t think Dak is worth it. They now have an adequate replacement in Dalton, so I would be playing hardball, right around now. I’m not convinced there will be much of a queue for his services from elsewhere at those numbers. 
I don’t blame him for trying, but he simply hasn’t shown enough to me to justify that level of deal.

Good QB? Yes, in the top echelons of the NFL? No way. Probably gets into the top 10, atm, but could easily get bumped out of it by some of the guys trying to break through.

• Haha (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Happy said:

What is the league going to do about this?  Teams don't have to pay the Jerod Goffs of the world $30M/yr.  You can go out and get another QB.

But then you’re stuck.  Goff was in the MVP conversation a couple years ago.  He might not be great but it’s silly to just think any guy can just step in.  I liked Dalton more than most.  He’s probably the best back up in the league.  But it’s a little silly to just assume he’s replace what Dak did since never has in his career.  

you get stuck in qb purgatory.  But if you put a Goff, Tannehill, Alex Smith on the Bills, they won’t have had a 17 year playoff drought.  But they aren’t really getting you anywhere long term.  It’s a crappy no win situation.  Josh Allen right now is not more valuable to the Bills than Tre White.  Personally, I don’t think he will ever be as good at his position as Tre is at his.  But he potentially could make over 2 times as much.  That’s crazy.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

But then you’re stuck.  Goff was in the MVP conversation a couple years ago.  He might not be great but it’s silly to just think any guy can just step in.  I liked Dalton more than most.  He’s probably the best back up in the league.  But it’s a little silly to just assume he’s replace what Dak did since never has in his career.  

you get stuck in qb purgatory.  But if you put a Goff, Tannehill, Alex Smith on the Bills, they won’t have had a 17 year playoff drought.  But they aren’t really getting you anywhere long term.  It’s a crappy no win situation.  Josh Allen right now is not more valuable to the Bills than Tre White.  Personally, I don’t think he will ever be as good at his position as Tre is at his.  But he potentially could make over 2 times as much.  That’s crazy.  

Never, huh?  In both of their first 4 years:

Dalton:  40 wins, 99TDs, 14758 yards, 2 playoff seasons

Prescott:  40 wins, 97 TDs, 15778 yards, 2 playoff seasons

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Definitely lights out for Ventura College! :w00t:

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

But again, the NFL is not going to regulate the salaries of lesser tier QBs.  They will make what their teams give them, whether the team uses the Dak and Goff precedents or not.

I get your point about being in QB purgatory, a number of teams will have that problem.  I also don't think a Goff, Tannehill, or Alex Smith would have solved our drought problem; the coaching problem needed to be solved, first.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Never, huh?  In both of their first 4 years:

Dalton:  40 wins, 99TDs, 14758 yards, 2 playoff seasons

Prescott:  40 wins, 97 TDs, 15778 yards, 2 playoff seasons

Ah, a textbook Weo argument.  Don’t include turnovers, qb rating,  rushing, current ages to make it look closer than it is.  Because if you did that, 

dalton - 85 QBs rating, 66 ints, 11 rushing tds, current age 32. 

dak - 97 qb rating, 36 ints, 21 rushing tds, current age 26.

i respect your sneakiness Weo.  Almost sold it.

also, I present Peyton Manning’s 1st 4 years:  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannPe00.htm  ?

and please don’t twist this like Dak is going to be better than Manning but the guy has been good and some of you are working real hard to discredit him.  Like you do with almost every young qb (should I pull out the Mahomes training camp int thread?).  If Allen comes close to Dak, we will be begging the Bulls to pay him. 

1 minute ago, Happy said:

But again, the NFL is not going to regulate the salaries of lesser tier QBs.  They will make what their teams give them, whether the team uses the Dak and Goff precedents or not.

I get your point about being in QB purgatory, a number of teams will have that problem.  I also don't think a Goff, Tannehill, or Alex Smith would have solved our drought problem; the coaching problem needed to be solved, first.

We went 7-9 with Trent and JP.  We went 9/7 with Ej and Orton.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Ah, a textbook Weo argument.  Don’t include turnovers, qb rating,  rushing, current ages to make it look closer than it is.  Because if you did that, 

dalton - 85 QBs rating, 66 ints, 11 rushing tds, current age 32. 

dak - 97 qb rating, 36 ints, 21 rushing tds, current age 26.

i respect your sneakiness Weo.  Almost sold it.

also, I present Peyton Manning’s 1st 4 years:  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannPe00.htm  ?

and please don’t twist this like Dak is going to be better than Manning but the guy has been good and some of you are working real hard to discredit him.  Like you do with almost every young qb (should I pull out the Mahomes training camp int thread?).  If Allen comes close to Dak, we will be begging the Bulls to pay him. 

Dak’s numbers vs above .500 teams is horrid. Most of Dak’s numbers comes against below .500 competition. I don’t see Dak ever winning the Cowboys a SB, he doesn’t play well vs better competition.