Article: McDermott Concerned about PSE Dysfunction

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Experienced people are not necessarily the answer.  I noted above guys like Bylsma and Babcock, both Stanley Cup winners who got canned.  Just have to keep trying the best you can, talk to as many folks as you can and try to get the right guys. 

it doesn't always work.  But what about things like Lou Lamoriello and Waddell.  IMO the Sabres are in need of it because their Hockey department is in such disrepair and hasn't really been completely with the times since probably the 90s.  

And as far as coaches go.  Another problem with the Pegulas is they look at it like the NFL.  In the NFL, the coach holds a lot of power and molds the whole organization.  In the NHL, coaches are independent contractors who are entirely disposable and interchangeable.  The Pegulas do it backwards and look for NHL coaches like they are looking for a life partner, and it appears like they view the coach as separate manager who reports to ownership and not the GM.  A GM should have the ability to cast the coach off whenever they please.  Specifically the Pegulas got in too deep personally with Phil Housley and they even funded his wife's US Senate campaign.  I'm sure they are all goo goo over Kruger's phony Six Sigma shtick.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Pegs had a PSE meeting in February and reportedly told the staff his goals:

• championships
  • sustainability
  • profit

Standard business operations and goals. The sole source in the article described it as a "punch to the gut." Come on, toughen up cupcake. Who did you think you were working for? A charity? God we've raised a bunch of gutless snowflakes.

This is an irresponsible non-story. Just stirring it up for clicks. McDermmott won't let this affect the game on the field. But yes, the Sabres suck. ..and posters hinting McD might leave are just nuts.

Edited by boater
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

Seriously? This is where we are? If only the rich billionaires would buy us all a toy and leave us alone to play with it?

Man, I hate the off season. Some of you people lose your minds. 

This team stands in the best position it has been in in years. Now, if we could just get rid of those pesky billionaires who ruin everything!

Batschittcrazy.

Overly involved owners with limited sports backgrounds can wreak havoc on an organization.

We can debate if the Bills recent success is due to the Pegulas or making good hires in McD/Beane. I would bet more on McD/Beane than Pegs. 

2 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

Yes all companies want to make money. Thats the point.

There is a difference between that and putting a board deck together where in it it states "we have to cut costs so we can continue to live our lifestyle" and we've had to put a hold on the build of our superyacht. 

See. Graham throws this aside into the story and you zoom in on it. Mission accomplished. Two months ago a billionaire ordering a yacht is perfectly normal. Now him pausing his order is proof of what a big a--hole he is. Well played, Mr. Graham.

• Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

A major element behind McD agreeing to coach in Buffalo, I believe, was the Pegula's giving him unprecedented control for a HC (EDIT: for this franchise).  He sought Beane from Carolina and they've had authority over football operations most of us long-time posters dreamed of when RW owned the team.  I hope and trust this does not change provided they continue improving the team's W-L record.  If there's interference, yeah, I could see a Polian situation brewing.

It appears fine now.  But I do remember Terry holding a stopwatch and a clipboard "helping" evaluate quarterbacks.  We have had a daughter dating a fringe tight end.  Who knows if a family member ends up with a position in the organization who buts heads with McDermott?  You could get a Linda Bogdan situation real easy.  Once McDermott gets enough personal capital where he could write his own ticket, and doesnt need the Bills, it could be possible.  It seems like unicorns and rainbows now, but hands-on owners typically desire subservient execs at some point.  The story I heard from credible people that LaFontaine's resignation was due to disagreements with Kim Pegula that boiled over.  

I just want a guy like Kraft who sits in the press box, claps, writes checks, and accepts trophies and praise.

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Don’t look now but the two star anchors of CNN and MSNBC both reported that Kim Jung Un was on life support/brain dead last night and then just deleted it. 

Journalistic integrity is dead.

Should they just leave incorrect stories up?

51 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Propping up your kids' livelihood with $9 smoothie businesses isn't going to prepare them for NFL ownership.

But they could probably run the Sabres as well as mom does now.

Edgy, with just a hint of class envy.

7/10 on the Engels scale.

2 hours ago, Warren Zevon said:

Not too peeved about the chart either but people aren't interpreting anything the chart doesn't blatantly say. Return on Investment--> fund lifestyle. It's a stupid slide to show to your employees.

EWD69YZXgAAbBnB?format=jpg&name=900x900

So many things here:

1) Pegula Family could quite literally mean the Pegula family of businesses or We as a company are a family and these are our goals.

2) Let's say they are talking about their family .. now flip it on to you .. your last name is Zevon... how would the Zevon family goals be different. 1) be successful - check; 2) Ensure for the generations that come after you; 3) Fund any endeavors you have, pay your taxes and maintain your lifestyle --- How is it that because their Pegula's that could not have the same goals any one of us have.

This is a lot to do about nothing.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, CorkScrewHill said:

So many things here:

1) Pegula Family could quite literally mean the Pegula family of businesses or We as a company are a family and these are our goals.

2) Let's say they are talking about their family .. now flip it on to you .. your last name is Zevon... how would the Zevon family goals be different. 1) be successful - check; 2) Ensure for the generations that come after you; 3) Fund any endeavors you have, pay your taxes and maintain your lifestyle --- How is it that because their Pegula's that could not have the same goals any one of us have.

This is a lot to do about nothing.

It's a stupid slide to show your subordinates - period. Shouldn't be seen as much more or less than that.

IMO

• Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

See. Graham throws this aside into the story and you zoom in on it. Mission accomplished. Two months ago a billionaire ordering a yacht is perfectly normal. Now him pausing his order is proof of what a big a--hole he is. Well played, Mr. Graham.

Again the issue is not a billionaire spending his money its telling your employees and putting it in a deck that they need to reduce cost so he can continue to do so. 

it creates ***** culture which is ravishing through PSE currently and is infiltrated the Sabres. 

if my boss told me I needed to cut every cost corner so he could by himself a flashy new toy it’s not going to make me work very hard. 

31 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Should they just leave incorrect stories up?

No, but they should try to not embarrass themselves at every turn when the general opinion of journalists is at an all time low. Especially when they say the story is “confirmed.” Lol

3 hours ago, Warren Zevon said:

Not too peeved about the chart either but people aren't interpreting anything the chart doesn't blatantly say. Return on Investment--> fund lifestyle. It's a stupid slide to show to your employees.

EWD69YZXgAAbBnB?format=jpg&name=900x900

Lol if that’s real the Pegula’s are ***** morons.

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

People say they want transparency and information.... 

People say they want a lot of things. But most of all, people really want to be lied to.

15 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Again the issue is not a billionaire spending his money its telling your employees and putting it in a deck that they need to reduce cost so he can continue to do so. 

it creates ***** culture which is ravishing through PSE currently and is infiltrated the Sabres. 

if my boss told me I needed to cut every cost corner so he could by himself a flashy new toy it’s not going to make me work very hard. 

Except the boss never said that. A reporter did.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Rob's House said:

I'm old enough to remember when it was sexist to question the wisdom of making Kim Pegula the president of operations.

That said, things continue to arise that make one question whether she is qualified to run one professional sports team in any league, let alone 5 teams. 

12 minutes ago, FireChans said:

No, but they should try to not embarrass themselves at every turn when the general opinion of journalists is at an all time low. Especially when they say the story is “confirmed.” Lol

Let's admit the reputation of journalists is based on the opinion one bloated, orange-skinned, narcissist who lies like people breathe. Those who share this opinion are mindless followers of said bloated one

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I think Kruger is a lot like McD and Beane.  Process oriented.  And no he's not a soccer coach, yes he has significant hockey experience, and yes you're just bringing up things you already know aren't correct just to be a smartaass.

I was being a smartass, yes.  The point was this guy had disappeared from NHL other than the fragment of a season of the lockout. 

29 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Edgy, with just a hint of class envy.

7/10 on the Engels scale.

Wow...class envy!  LOL that's s good one.  I'm doing pretty good, thanks!  NFL owner envy?---of course.  Every soul here would love to be an owner.  That's not "class envy". 

But to sycophants, there's always a reason to question those would doubt the one they worship (turn on the news each night currently, for an extreme example).  You understand that you can still admire the man and enjoy the photos of his family and watching the teams that he bought (and maybe even some of that $10 slice of French toast his daughters sell!)…..while also entertaining the possibility that, in the sports and hospitality sectors, he may not be a very good businessman. 

Also, still waiting for you to debunk the TG story.  You must have something--you were pretty forceful in your dragging of the piece. 

Engel's Scale isn't 10 steps.  It is a measurement on a path of a true believer, of evangelism.  You have clearly made the transition from the "Believer" zone to the "Disciple" level, as evidenced by your tireless proselytizing the Gospel of the Family. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

What does ROI to fund lifestyle mean to you?

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

Let's admit the reputation of journalists is based on the opinion one bloated, orange-skinned, narcissist who lies like people breathe. Those who share this opinion are mindless followers of said bloated one

He’s the President. And whether you hate him or love him, the MSM has been laughably bad in the US since the advent of Twitter.

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

What if the boss put up a slide describing goals for (his) future generations and goals of generating revenue for "family office" and "lifestyle" (not yours)?

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

He’s the President. And whether you hate him or love him, the MSM has been laughably bad in the US since the advent of Twitter.

He's the WORST president ever and he rails at all media for reporting on his failures and buffoonery. As for funding an owner's lifestyle, aren't all employees doing that? Or is PSE a 501(c)(3) nonprofit?

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

In the 14 years of its existence no other President has used twitter like the current one (or at all while in office?).

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

This thread has become really boring, but to be clear, Graham didn't say that...

A handout version of the slide, obtained and verified by The Athletic, listed the Pegulas’ three chief objectives: win championships, sustainability, return on investment.

Pegula, current and former employees say, explained that return on investment included maintaining the family’s lifestyle.

“People were walking out of those meetings like they’d been punched in the gut,” a Bills management source said. “We just made the playoffs in the NFL, where it’s impossible to lose money. We’re firing on all cylinders. Now we have to pinch pennies?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

I mean why wouldn't he want to communicate without the filter of the media?

You mean fact checking?

All modern presidents preceding him have easily communicated directly to the people whenever they wanted to.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

He's the WORST president ever and he rails at all media for reporting on his failures and buffoonery. As for funding an owner's lifestyle, aren't all employees doing that? Or is PSE a 501(c)(3) nonprofit?

I don’t really care about the President right now, as that’s offtopic. The topic was journalism, and these dudes trip over themselves to be wrong. They were wrong about Kim last night. Brian Williams built his career on complete fabrications. They are wrong a frighteningly amount, about all topics, and their reprints and retractions get very little traction compared to the erroneous crap they spew.

Do all owners tell their employees they are funding their lavish lifestyle in internal memos?

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

You mean fact checking?

All modern presidents preceding him have easily communicated directly to the people whenever they wanted to.

No, I mean filtering.

I have a reasonably solid grasp of the English language, thanks.

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

In the 14 years of its existence no other President has used twitter like the current one (or at all while in office?).

Obama used Twitter a little but I think as like scheduled Q&A’s.

Twitter is so clearly a weapon for disinformation and was heralded as the death of journalism/truth by many YEARS ago. Wawrow has railed against the rampant desire to be the first incorrect journalist for years.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Warren Zevon said:

Why do some folks hate Tim Graham so much?

he demonstrated some dislikable personality traits when he used to post here.  For me I thought he seemed kind of douschy and sensational... trying hard to click bait and drum up controversy.

his little tiff with EJ Manuel wasn’t very professional.

sort of anti worrow; who tends more to stick to the facts....  and not have tantrums when anyone questions him.

i don’t care for his work,  but he is clearly a trigger for a lot of folks here 

1 hour ago, boater said:

Pegs had a PSE meeting in February and reportedly told the staff his goals:

• championships
  • sustainability
  • profit

Standard business operations and goals. The sole source in the article described it as a "punch to the gut." Come on, toughen up cupcake. Who did you think you were working for? A charity? God we've raised a bunch of gutless snowflakes.

This is an irresponsible non-story. Just stirring it up for clicks. McDermmott won't let this affect the game on the field. But yes, the Sabres suck. ..and posters hinting McD might leave are just nuts.

It's a legitimate concern. Would you want to work in a toxic environment? I agree that this is stirred up for clicks, but with what's going on with the Sabres and how fans have turned against ownership and management, it is a legit concern that Beane or McDermott wouldnt want an extension of things get uglier.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

No, I mean filtering.

I have a reasonably solid grasp of the English language, thanks.

When the President gets up in front of the press or others to speak, my TV doesn't have a filter that prevents me from hearing or understanding what he is saying.  Maybe you have closed captioning instead?

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

he demonstrated some dislikable personality traits when he used to post here.  For me I thought he seemed kind of douschy and sensational... trying hard to click bait and drum up controversy.

his little tiff with EJ Manuel wasn’t very professional.

sort of anti worrow; who tends more to stick to the facts....  and not have tantrums when anyone questions him.

i don’t care for his work,  but he is clearly a trigger for a lot of folks here 

His tiff with EJ was so overblown.

Skurski brought up drafting another QB. EJ, rather than saying, “the organization invested in me and it’s up to me to prove I’m the QB of this team and that’s what I’m going to do” he ASKS Tim Graham if he thinks they should draft a QB.

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

When the President gets up in front of the press or others to speak, my TV doesn't have a filter that prevents me from hearing or understanding what he is saying.  Maybe you have closed captioning instead?

If that's the case (and how many people do you know that watch press conferences live), then what's your beef with him using twitter?

Is it the mean words?

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

What station do you watch on?

https://deadline.com/2020/04/coronavirus-cnn-msnbc-donald-trump-1202907481/

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

it doesn't always work.  But what about things like Lou Lamoriello and Waddell.  IMO the Sabres are in need of it because their Hockey department is in such disrepair and hasn't really been completely with the times since probably the 90s.  

And as far as coaches go.  Another problem with the Pegulas is they look at it like the NFL.  In the NFL, the coach holds a lot of power and molds the whole organization.  In the NHL, coaches are independent contractors who are entirely disposable and interchangeable.  The Pegulas do it backwards and look for NHL coaches like they are looking for a life partner, and it appears like they view the coach as separate manager who reports to ownership and not the GM.  A GM should have the ability to cast the coach off whenever they please.  Specifically the Pegulas got in too deep personally with Phil Housley and they even funded his wife's US Senate campaign.  I'm sure they are all goo goo over Kruger's phony Six Sigma shtick.

Lamoriello has had mixed results.  Recycling guys that have had success and failure isn’t necessarily any better than hiring a guy in his way up to see if he can take the next step.  

I understand some want a president of hockey hockey operations that a GM and HC report to, but to me that just adds another layer that may or may not help.  Get a good GM who gets a good HC or vice versa, and you don’t need another layer.

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

Overly involved owners with limited sports backgrounds can wreak havoc on an organization.

We can debate if the Bills recent success is due to the Pegulas or making good hires in McD/Beane. I would bet more on McD/Beane than Pegs. 

How many owners actually have extensive sports backgrounds though?  Especially when first buying a team?

10 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Obama used Twitter a little but I think as like scheduled Q&A’s.

Twitter is so clearly a weapon for disinformation and was heralded as the death of journalism/truth by many YEARS ago. Wawrow has railed against the rampant desire to be the first incorrect journalist for years.

Clearly that is what the current president uses it for, I agree.

As for the death of journalism?  Meh.....lots of national newspapers have broken the bulk of the biggest stories over the past 3 years.

20 minutes ago, Lurker said:

This thread has become really boring, but to be clear, Graham didn't say that...

A handout version of the slide, obtained and verified by The Athletic, listed the Pegulas’ three chief objectives: win championships, sustainability, return on investment.

Pegula, current and former employees say, explained that return on investment included maintaining the family’s lifestyle.

“People were walking out of those meetings like they’d been punched in the gut,” a Bills management source said. “We just made the playoffs in the NFL, where it’s impossible to lose money. We’re firing on all cylinders. Now we have to pinch pennies?

I am still having a hard time how somebody goes from Return on investment - to punched in the gut.  

4 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

If that's the case (and how many people do you know that watch press conferences live), then what's your beef with him using twitter?

Is it the mean words?

Ask Trump--he boasts about the press conference ratings.

He's free to use twitter.  The guy struggles to put more than 5 words together without telling a lie.  Don't need a "media filter" to figure this out.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Clearly that is what the current president uses it for, I agree.

As for the death of journalism?  Meh.....lots of national newspapers have broken the bulk of the biggest stories over the past 3 years.

I mean, the Covington Catholic student sued 3 orgs for defamation and CNN gave him a nice tidy settlement. 

Maybe journalism has always been this crappy, but the amount of quick “breaking news” stories and then quiet retractions is breathtaking. At a certain point, these transgressions pile up, and if you don’t start becoming skeptical, you’re an idiot.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I take it you've never read his posts when he did post here, or read some of his twitter flame wars? He's a talented writer but he's also a bit of an egomaniac and has skin as thin as onion peel. He also nurses grudges like a pro.

He's also an online troll who gets his jollies posting things to intentionally piss off fans. At one point a fan questioned him on Twitter during a game and he told the fan to "go hump a fist." He has since deleted that tweet because it was brought up so often here.

He's surrounded by those fans who love to hate the Bills and always have that 'woe is me' attitude no matter what is happening. They love Timmah because, as I've written here many times, the easiest thing to do as a fan in the NFL is to predict failure and, not coincidentally, the laziest thing to do is say "I told you so." Timmah and his followers fit that bill perfectly.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2