Article: McDermott Concerned about PSE Dysfunction

14 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I'm late to the discussion here, but I don't necessarily think it'd be a terrible thing if the Pegulas sold the Sabres and made the bills their primary focus 

Even if that means the Sabres leave Buffalo?

4 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

The Pegs are in the natural gas business, not the oil business, granted they effect each other, but it is more about the future economy in the USA with twenty million and rising  newly unemployed citizens, and over forty thousand deaths and growing from C-19. Corporate profit reports are coming up soon, and those reports are expected to be really bad, stock futures over the next year or more don’t look good. How this virus has and is being handled on a federal level is the root cause of corporate pessimism going forward. Sad yet true. 

Clearly you watch too much cnn

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Clearly you watch too much cnn

Actually, rarely, just read many different news sources nationally an internationally. So clearly you are wrong ? 
I don’t own a TV, or have cable, dish etc. I live on a sailboat traveling the east coast and the Bahamas, so I read a lot. So you can ease your skepticism Tenhigh... ?

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, CNYfan said:

Does this have to do with the price of a barrel of oil as it relates to the Pegula natural gas enterprises?   

Its always something, just when things were starting to look up for once

"Its always something" could be the truth.  Think about the entire Pegula situation.  Kim is 19 years younger than Terry.  Kim has a degree from Houghton College, was a secretary for Terry in her very first job and now she is basically running the show in his name.  They both have difficulty speaking in public.  Communication difficulties seem to happen through out all their organizations.  McD is way to smart to think "What - me worry"!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Even if that means the Sabres leave Buffalo?

No, I don't want them to leave buffalo. I'm not a die hard Sabres fan like I am a bills fan, but I do want the Sabres to be good again. It may be time for new ownership. I'm not an expert though. I can't say why the bills seemed to have turned their program around, but the Sabres are stuck in this rut. 

14 minutes ago, LB48 said:

"Its always something" could be the truth.  Think about the entire Pegula situation.  Kim is 19 years younger than Terry.  Kim has a degree from Houghton College, was a secretary for Terry in her very first job and now she is basically running the show in his name.  They both have difficulty speaking in public.  Communication difficulties seem to happen through out all their organizations.  McD is way to smart to think "What - me worry"!

Kim has difficulty speaking in public?  Not I have seen.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Well as a former sports journalist I am telling you this is a good piece of journalism. He has spoken to plenty of people he isn't giving his opinion he is reporting. 

If you want to dismiss it as a "hack" fine. But people should be taking that article seriously. It is concerning.

Well as a former journalist I am telling you it's not. It's lazy and made to create controversy. All he did was interview the naysayers. No where did he try to get another point of view or talk with other employees who feel otherwise. Nor did be seek out business analyst who would comment on all of this from a business point of view. Then he just went after her Kim Pegula with a negative slant that couldn't help but put her on the defensive. It was unbalanced and lazy. I am not concerned about the substance as there was little if it.  Everyone is going through some tumult now.

Edited by Green Lightning
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, purple haze said:

The Sabres would never be as profitable as the Bills, even if the Bills were terrible and the Sabres champions.  The NHL is beloved, but in America, a niche sport, especially compared to football or basketball. 

On principle, I wouldn't mind seeing the Pegula's sell the Sabres because they don't seem to have a clue how to run them and fans deserve infinitely better.  But if they do will the team stay in Buffalo where they belong?  It's a terrible situation.

It’s only a terrible situation if the Sabres leave, and the NHL dies not want want the team leaving it best TV market in the USA.  

The thought of the Pegula’s selling the Sabres to a local consortium is appealing.  Sell the Sabres and Amerks to Buffalo and Rochester interests.   Terry  got off on the wrong foot in the NHL.  Talking about Stanley Cups with no experience, throwing money at marginal free agents, and the continuous instability.   He turned the Sabres into the California Golden Seals.  They have no inside hockey people helping them.  Kim Pegula is so far proving to be  not qualified to run this empire.  

Of bigger concern is Beane and McDermott.  Terry needs to lock them up for a long time and then take Kim and stay out of their way.   

Edited by Bob in STL

41 minutes ago, LB48 said:

I think she was a waitress when they met, then he hired her, then he married her ... now she runs PSE.  

14 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

I think she was a waitress when they met, then he hired her, then he married her ... now she runs PSE.  

She was working as a waitress in a cocktail bar....

That much is true

But even then she knew she'd find a much better place...

Sorry... Reading all the doom and gloom took me to 80s rock song land... 

Doom and gloom sells....

Maybe a bunch of San Antonio billionaires with a dream of bringing the NFL to San Antonio will buy the Bills for the guys from Whitesnake to run and they'll move in to a beach house in Dunkirk and devote their lives to keeping the Bills in WNY

Makes sense to me

Irresponsible post. That is literally the only mention of McDermott’s alleged concern in the entire article, and is essentially hearsay. 

The Pegulas are a target of Graham right now. They’ve made mistakes, certainly, but to imply McDermott is worried is jumping the gun. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Green Lightning said:

Well as a former journalist I am telling you it's not. It's lazy and made to create controversy. All he did was interview the naysayers. No where did he try to get another point of view or talk with other employees who feel otherwise. Nor did be seek out business analyst who would comment on all of this from a business point of view. Then he just went after her Kim Pegula with a negative slant that couldn't help but put her on the defensive. It was unbalanced and lazy. I am not concerned about the substance as there was little if it.  Everyone is going through some tumult now.

Thank you, I felt the same way. I usually love Tim’s work and normally would defense it. But it’s easy to paint a negative picture after getting fired. 

7 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Tim Graham interviewed almost 40 current/former PSE employees, and the feedback was that dysfunction, nepotism, and cost-cutting pervade the organization.  The Pegulas gave a presentation in January, right after the Bills made the playoffs, and one of the stated "three pillars" of organizational goals was "return on investment," which was widely described (and possibly stated by the Pegulas directly, though that seems shocking) as ensuring that the Pegulas can maintain their lavish lifestyle.  There is concern that the dysfunction within the Sabres will spill over into the Bills, and McD allegedly is concerned about it.

McDermott needs to be concerned about putting an offense on the field this year that is good and can score points thru 4 qtrs of every game.  All the rest is immaterial.  I bet a lot of the players barely know who the  Pegulas even are.  I liked Ralph better because he cared about football.  It was his life and his passion.  The Pegulas have done a great job giving the Bills the money to spend and be competitive.  But as far as being old blood NFL football owners,  Nah.  Guy seems like an uncool nerd to me.  Has no presence.  When I think of the leader of the team, I think of Brandon Beane, not Terry or Kim Pegula.  

• Like (+1) 1

Kim pegula is not qualified to run operations of a sports team, let alone like 4 of them.  So, the most senior sports business guy?  Kevyn Adam's.  His qualifications are that he played in the nhl and lives in buffalo.  He is in over his head. 

So you see countless mishaps like alumni jerseys with mis-spelled names that arent even correct or authentic jerseys.  They miss the deadline to change to royal blue this year.  Miss the deadline to wear the black/red jersey this year for a special event.  They completely forget "hockey is for everyone night", first say it was because there were already too many theme nights, then say they had it planned all along and it is some un-named game (with like 4 left).  They missed their own deadline to release pricing to season ticket holders for their "ez" renew program.  On the eve of the deadline, they sent an email out to sth revising the t&cs to buy them 15 more days.  Then, they completely butcher sth pricing.  Chopped the arena into 40 price levels that are confusing and you cant even look at in good faith on their web site.  My 300 level tix that I hung onto for the past 10 miserable seasons only due to preserving my seniority and seat location went up by about 10% or roughly $350.  Just because they are close to center ice in the 300s.  Great. Punish me for being loyal now.  Let's alienate everyone! Not surprising the team is locked into the bottom of the nhl ON the ice.  It's a circus, and this is just what we see. 

The pegulas need help.  Its amateur hour.  Mark my words that the Bill's will have their "polian moment" as well if things appear to be going well.

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I totally don't get this take. And you just said Graham can't be bought off...yet you suggest Kim Pegula would get more screen time if she "played ball?" Curious.

What don’t you get? When a reporter is about to realease a potentially damaging story about your business, and asks you for a statement, it’s your one chance to defend yourself, usually with a carefully crafted PR statement. Whatever KP put out was not that.

45 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

I'm old enough to remember when it was sexist to question the wisdom of making Kim Pegula the president of operations.

Rob, she was a waitress in Alaska. You WERE being sexist.

3 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

So you see countless mishaps like alumni jerseys with mis-spelled names that arent even correct or authentic jerseys.  They miss the deadline to change to royal blue this year.  Miss the deadline to wear the black/red jersey this year for a special event.  They completely forget "hockey is for everyone night", first say it was because there were already too many theme nights, then say they had it planned all along and it is some un-named game (with like 4 left).  They missed their own deadline to release pricing to season ticket holders for their "ez" renew program.  On the eve of the deadline, they sent an email out to sth revising the t&cs to buy them 15 more days.

Damn.

12 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Really interesting/concerning article in The Athletic today, it's a good but terrifying read:

https://theathletic.com/1758235/2020/04/20/as-pegulas-face-business-challenges-employees-describe-a-toxic-culture-at-pse/

"

Two sources close to Bills head coach Sean McDermott say the January meetings left him concerned about low morale eroding the culture he and general manager Brandon Beane have cultivated over the past three years with a meticulous, holistic attitude."

Man , dont ruin the fantasy !!? 

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I read the article. It is worrying. My conclusion was they need to sell the Sabres but then that is easier for me to say as a non-hockey fan and non-Buffalonian but their core business is facing tough times, the property business similarly and the Sabres are a huge cash drain. 

Time to drill another well ... Oh wait.