Remember this?

Post things from the past that no longer exist.

TV Guide channel.  You couldn't scroll through it or go to a search.  You just had to wait until the auto-scroll to show you whats on now and coming up.  If you were waiting on the channel and somehow missed it....you had to wait for it to cycle through again.   

Weekend at Bernie's II.... @teef favorite movie.

TV Guide Channel : nostalgia

AOL Floppy discs....later CD's with free hours.

AOL floppy discs! #90s | My childhood memories, Childhood memories ...How Much Did It Cost AOL To Send Us Those CDs In The 90s? "A Lot ...

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

My grandfather had one of these connected to a descrambler he built himself...

cable-channels-televisions.jpg

Boy was that fancy and hi-tech coming from this  (btw....can anyone under the age of 50 identify what the second dial was for?):

TV before cable. One dial for channels 2-13, one dial for UHF ...

Edited by KD in CA
  • Like (+1) 3

On 4/12/2020 at 8:33 PM, PastaJoe said:

vintage-television-knobs-isolated-over-2

For my First Communion in the 60’s I was given the choice of a big party or a portable tv for my bedroom. I took the tv.

Our son and his fiancé have been gifted money from both families, plus have money of their own. The wedding is (hopefully) at the Grove Park Inn (Asheville, NC) in late August. He’s a CPA and she is a former wedding planner. [Edit: now on furlough from Omni in Atlanta where she was very good at generating group sales/conventions attached to the Convention Center....when does THAT come back?] The question was.........do you want a big open bar for everyone you’ve ever known ($$$ pi$$ed away), or a down payment on a house? 

Sometimes it’s best to put yourself first! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

The Agony of Defeat on ABC Wide World of Sports

D51mD6.gif

OUCH! That left a mark! Was that late 60’s early 70s? That made an impression on this young kid! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

be-kind-rewind-featured.png

I didn’t realize this until recently, but blockbuster had a chance to buy Netflix back in 2000 for $50m. They laughed at Netflix, and basically threw them out of a meeting. BB obviously went bankrupt, and Netflix is worth like $40 billion! 

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

Boy was that fancy and hi-tech coming from this  (btw....can anyone under the age of 50 identify what the second dial was for?):

I am under 50, and all I remember about that second dial was, as a little kid, I would desperately turn it to try to improve terrible reception, and it would work like 1% of the time. 

• Haha (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Buying smokes out of one of these when I was 15.

1200px-Cigarette_Vending_Machine.jpg

All the people at work under the age of 40 are shocked to find out that these things used to be next to all the candy and soda machines scattered throughout the building. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I'm 44. One was UHF band, and the other VHF band.

In Rochester, I think UHF was 21 and 31. 'Quit turning the knobs so fast, you will break the TV'

6 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

My kids were playing with some Easter gifts and one of them reminded me of the Mad Scientist toy collection from when I was a kid.

a125e9d0412bc514865585e3af46b4ab.jpg

mads-oscar.png

My sister had this, you could perform 'surgery' on the alien in all the goop!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I didn’t realize this until recently, but blockbuster had a chance to buy Netflix back in 2000 for $50m. They laughed at Netflix, and basically threw them out of a meeting. BB obviously went bankrupt, and Netflix is worth like $40 billion! 

In hindsight that looks bad, VERY BAD, but at the time I believe Netflix was just a rental service where you got your movies on a DVD in the mail or from a vending machine for a few days. Its not the online stream service its now become back then.

13 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

In hindsight that looks bad, VERY BAD, but at the time I believe Netflix was just a rental service where you got your movies on a DVD in the mail or from a vending machine for a few days. Its not the online stream service its now become back then.

I agree. There are a lot of stories of missed opportunities based on hindsight. Yahoo could have bought both google and facebook!

from what I have read about nextflix though, they had a vision for an online business and pitched that to blockbuster. The CEO of blockbuster said that the dot com thing was just a fad, and passed.

21 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

I'm 44. One was UHF band, and the other VHF band.

In Rochester, I think UHF was 21 and 31. 'Quit turning the knobs so fast, you will break the TV'

I grew up in Rochester, and now am remembering this!! Channel 31! 

24 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

How about 'Howdy Buckaroos'?

haha— that is classic!! Ranger Bob’s Buckaroo Club!! 

by the way, I still can hear the one commercial they’d play all the time on channel 31 for ROC Communications car stereos (“go to the Roc... r..o...c...rr...o...c... communications!”). 

• Like (+1) 1