Remember this?

22 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

The Agony of Defeat on ABC Wide World of Sports

D51mD6.gif

OUCH! That left a mark! Was that late 60’s early 70s? That made an impression on this young kid! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

be-kind-rewind-featured.png

I didn’t realize this until recently, but blockbuster had a chance to buy Netflix back in 2000 for $50m. They laughed at Netflix, and basically threw them out of a meeting. BB obviously went bankrupt, and Netflix is worth like $40 billion! 

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

Boy was that fancy and hi-tech coming from this  (btw....can anyone under the age of 50 identify what the second dial was for?):

TV before cable. One dial for channels 2-13, one dial for UHF ...

I am under 50, and all I remember about that second dial was, as a little kid, I would desperately turn it to try to improve terrible reception, and it would work like 1% of the time. 

• Haha (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Buying smokes out of one of these when I was 15.

1200px-Cigarette_Vending_Machine.jpg

All the people at work under the age of 40 are shocked to find out that these things used to be next to all the candy and soda machines scattered throughout the building. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Boy was that fancy and hi-tech coming from this  (btw....can anyone under the age of 50 identify what the second dial was for?):

TV before cable. One dial for channels 2-13, one dial for UHF ...

I'm 44. One was UHF band, and the other VHF band.

In Rochester, I think UHF was 21 and 31. 'Quit turning the knobs so fast, you will break the TV'

6 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

My kids were playing with some Easter gifts and one of them reminded me of the Mad Scientist toy collection from when I was a kid.

a125e9d0412bc514865585e3af46b4ab.jpg

mads-oscar.png

My sister had this, you could perform 'surgery' on the alien in all the goop!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I didn’t realize this until recently, but blockbuster had a chance to buy Netflix back in 2000 for $50m. They laughed at Netflix, and basically threw them out of a meeting. BB obviously went bankrupt, and Netflix is worth like $40 billion! 

In hindsight that looks bad, VERY BAD, but at the time I believe Netflix was just a rental service where you got your movies on a DVD in the mail or from a vending machine for a few days. Its not the online stream service its now become back then.

13 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

In hindsight that looks bad, VERY BAD, but at the time I believe Netflix was just a rental service where you got your movies on a DVD in the mail or from a vending machine for a few days. Its not the online stream service its now become back then.

I agree. There are a lot of stories of missed opportunities based on hindsight. Yahoo could have bought both google and facebook!

from what I have read about nextflix though, they had a vision for an online business and pitched that to blockbuster. The CEO of blockbuster said that the dot com thing was just a fad, and passed.

21 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

I'm 44. One was UHF band, and the other VHF band.

In Rochester, I think UHF was 21 and 31. 'Quit turning the knobs so fast, you will break the TV'

I grew up in Rochester, and now am remembering this!! Channel 31! 

24 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

How about 'Howdy Buckaroos'?

haha— that is classic!! Ranger Bob’s Buckaroo Club!! 

by the way, I still can hear the one commercial they’d play all the time on channel 31 for ROC Communications car stereos (“go to the Roc... r..o...c...rr...o...c... communications!”). 

• Like (+1) 1