Sirius XM Help

qwksilver

My free subscription just ran out. I really miss a few of the channels, especially some of the NFL content. So they are offering a $5.00 per month for 1 year which I'll probably take. My questions are has anyone gotten a better deal? Also, what are my options at end of the year (do I have to cancel to get that deal again, do they even offer it again)? How is their customer service when cancelling? 

Thanks for any help.

I have the same questions.  I haven’t pulled the trigger on any of the offers because I don’t want to forget when the introductory rate ends and then I would get charged the full price. I still get mail and email at least once a week with a special offer, even though my free subscription ran out two years ago. 

I have absolutely zero idea what we pay, but I’d HATE to NOT have it. Unlike DTV and cable, my wife never complains about the cost, so that’s one of life’s little blessings. 

Good luck! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I haven't tried to get a deal, and I've been a customer since 2003. With that said, I know I'm paying about $25/month. I've heard from my sister that last year when she went to renew her sub, she tried the "threaten to cancel", and they came right out with an offer of $120/year. 

Edited by Just Jack

1 hour ago, qwksilver said:

My free subscription just ran out. I really miss a few of the channels, especially some of the NFL content. So they are offering a $5.00 per month for 1 year which I'll probably take. My questions are has anyone gotten a better deal? Also, what are my options at end of the year (do I have to cancel to get that deal again, do they even offer it again)? How is their customer service when cancelling? 

Thanks for any help.

I got Sirius/XM free with my new CR-V in 2013.  The sales lady told me to let it lapse and they'd eventually give me the $5/month deal.  I've been getting that ever since, calling the day before my sub ends and saying I'm walking if I don't get the same deal.  They always do it.

Can you get better than $5/month?  I don't know but I've never heard of someone getting a better deal.  You might try waiting longer and seeing but personally I'd take the $5/month. 

Oh and this is just for basic SXM.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

I haven't tried to get a deal, and I've been a customer since 2003. With that said, I know I'm paying about $25/month. I've heard from my sister that last year when she went to renew her sub, she tried the "threaten to cancel", and they came right out with an offer of $120/year. 

Thanks, The promo states it's 16.99 per month after the year is up. 

I feel like $10.00 per month is the right value. You might want to make a call.

Just now, Doc said:

I got Sirius/XM free with my new CR-V in 2013.  The sales lady told me to let it lapse and they'd eventually give me the $5/month deal.  I've been getting that ever since, calling the day before my sub ends and saying I'm walking if I don't get the same deal.  They always do it.

Can you get better than $5/month?  I don't know but I've never heard of someone getting a better deal.  You might try waiting longer and seeing but personally I'd take the $5/month. 

Thanks Doc! This is what I wanted to hear. :)

1 minute ago, BuffaloBud said:

I just keep leasing new vehicles and get 3 years free with each lease.  ?‍♂️

I worked with a guy who leased a nice Mercedes. He put some miles on it, then leased a Camry. It was cheaper to have a second car lease than to put extra miles on the leased Benz. It all depends upon your situation. 

I used to drive from school in Cincinnati back to Buffalo frequently. There were many LONG gaps where I could get nothing on the radio. NOTHING. Especially around Erie, PA. I love my Sirius! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I worked with a guy who leased a nice Mercedes. He put some miles on it, then leased a Camry. It was cheaper to have a second car lease than to put extra miles on the leased Benz. It all depends upon your situation. 

I used to drive from school in Cincinnati back to Buffalo frequently. There were many LONG gaps where I could get nothing on the radio. NOTHING. Especially around Erie, PA. I love my Sirius! 

Plus local Radio in South Florida SUX. So Sirius is a huge plus. 

This isn't the same ballpark as Directv Sunday ticket money wise but its a similar scenario. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, qwksilver said:

Plus local Radio in South Florida SUX. So Sirius is a huge plus. 

This isn't the same ballpark as Directv Sunday ticket money wise but its a similar scenario. 

If I had to listen to local ATL radio I don’t think that would end well. I don’t give a rip about the Falcons or some NBA team I think they have. I’d pass if the tix were free. I might watch the NBA Finals. I don’t want to hear about the Braves, but I love the stadium area when there is no game. Baseball bores me to tears, but it’s nice background noise. 

The national stuff is so worth it! 

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

If I had to listen to local ATL radio I don’t think that would end well. I don’t give a rip about the Falcons or some NBA team I think they have. I’d pass if the tix were free. I might watch the NBA Finals. I don’t want to hear about the Braves, but I love the stadium area when there is no game. Baseball bores me to tears, but it’s nice background noise. 

The national stuff is so worth it! 

Agree about baseball, it's unwatchable so why listen to radio. I do like some of the Heat talk but only once the playoffs start. With the Dolphins sucking most of that is fun but it's not Sirius.

Had the $5/month after my original free subscription ran out.

Went to renegotiate and they gave me nothing.  Right before summer of last year.  Wanted to be able to stream while outside so I ended up getting a decent deal, but not great.  Believe it was somewhere in the $16/month range for service.  Also ended up paying an additional $8/month for streaming on any device.

I called at some point to discuss my bill and found out that streaming was now included.  Yet, they were charging me the additional $8/month for streaming.  Was charged like this for 3 months.  Talked to a supervisor who refunded me the $24 for streaming and gave me a full year for $99.bucks for XM Select, best I could do.  better than paying full price.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, qwksilver said:

Thanks for any help.

5 bucks/month is a song.  No pun intended.  Jump on that.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

5 bucks/month is a song.  No pun intended.  Jump on that.

Agreed! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any "freebees". Will book it tomorrow.

Thanks Everyone.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Augie said:

Well, you could just pay attention to your driving!  ‘10 and 2’ on the steering wheel, mister!  ?

I had it for a few months years ago when I bought my Frontier and would then only listen to it during their free preview weeks around holidays. When I bought my F150 this summer I got it for 6 months and didn't intend on keeping it, but when my free time was up inlet it lapse but was sent a couple offers, some were for 6 months, some a year, all were around $5 a month, i kinda missed having it after the 6 months and decided to go for the deal, plus i was given a free Amazon Echo through a ford deal with my subscription. They let you stream on. Your phone/tablet/computer/smart speaker for free with a subscription so that's why they were giving them out too. I already have a bunch of Google's around the house so the Echo is still in the box, and I ended up with another free one a few weeks later when I bought another Ring doorbell from Best Buy.

5 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Well, you could just pay attention to your driving!  ‘10 and 2’ on the steering wheel, mister!  ?

There were a lot of long straight stretches. I had one knee on the wheel almost the whole time.....

One of the WORST companies I have ever experienced trying to cancel a service with.  To answer you question, you will not get a rate lower than $5 per month.  You will also need to cancel in order to get that rate again in the future when it runs out.  Sometimes they will offer it when you try to cancel, sometimes they will send emails soon after you do with the promotional rate. 

My problem with them stems from this:  There is no way to cancel online.  You have to call them which is so very annoying.  On top of that, they use whats called an automatic renewal clause.  Although these clauses are not enforceable in New York state, they still try to use them.  So, if you are not paying close attention to your date, it will automatically start billing you at the full rate when you promo period is over.  You can't do anything to stop this!  I tried to tell them that I did not want my account to auto re-new, they told me I couldn't do that.  I could only cancel (and service would stop immediately and I would be refunded unused amount) immediately, not cancel when the promo period was over.  The only thing they said they could do was remove my Credit Card for my file.  So, I had them do that and then, low and behold, after the promo period ended they started sending me bills for the new period at full amount since they didn't have my Credit Card info.  It took me threatening to report them to the BBB before they would finally take that bill off of my account.  This was after calling at least 3 times and spending a couple/few hours on this BS.  The frustration was so real that I won't ever go back, which sucks because I really like the service and was really only trying to make sure I could get the good rate on renewal (which they didn't offer this time, but I got an email for the very next day) instead of paying the outrageous full rate.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

One of the WORST companies I have ever experienced trying to cancel a service with.  To answer you question, you will not get a rate lower than $5 per month.  You will also need to cancel in order to get that rate again in the future when it runs out.  Sometimes they will offer it when you try to cancel, sometimes they will send emails soon after you do with the promotional rate. 

My problem with them stems from this:  There is no way to cancel online.  You have to call them which is so very annoying.  On top of that, they use whats called an automatic renewal clause.  Although these clauses are not enforceable in New York state, they still try to use them.  So, if you are not paying close attention to your date, it will automatically start billing you at the full rate when you promo period is over.  You can't do anything to stop this!  I tried to tell them that I did not want my account to auto re-new, they told me I couldn't do that.  I could only cancel (and service would stop immediately and I would be refunded unused amount) immediately, not cancel when the promo period was over.  The only thing they said they could do was remove my Credit Card for my file.  So, I had them do that and then, low and behold, after the promo period ended they started sending me bills for the new period at full amount since they didn't have my Credit Card info.  It took me threatening to report them to the BBB before they would finally take that bill off of my account.  This was after calling at least 3 times and spending a couple/few hours on this BS.  The frustration was so real that I won't ever go back, which sucks because I really like the service and was really only trying to make sure I could get the good rate on renewal (which they didn't offer this time, but I got an email for the very next day) instead of paying the outrageous full rate.

I set a reminder on my phone the day before my sub is about to expire.  But again, I don't have to cancel to get the $5/month, just threaten to do it.

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

I set a reminder on my phone the day before my sub is about to expire.  But again, I don't have to cancel to get the $5/month, just threaten to do it.

Pssshhh, that makes way too much sense.

There should be a law - if you can sign up for something online without talking to anyone, you should be able to cancel online without talking to anyone.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Nervous Guy said:

I call to cancel every time my subscription runs out and I get that deal...no fuss, it's almost automatic.  Been doing that for years.

Me Too

They want your money they will make a deal

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mark80 said:

This was helpful. I don't like the auto renewal on anything....

Just now, Doc said:

Everything meaning Stern and NFL?  For a year?

Yes.  Called  and told them I want to cancel. Because it was to expensive. For the car. 

when I did the truck I just said I want a cheaper plan.  

Not sure what company Mark80 dealt with, but it certainly wasn’t Sirius XM. I’ve been a customer for something like five years now. I’ve gone through 10 renewals in that time. Every one is as easy as the last. Probably takes me 20 minutes on the phone. They always offer me the same deal without any type of fight at all. I pay $28 for 6 months plus taxes. It comes out to around $33. That is most channels (just missing Howard stern and NFL) and streaming is included in all packages now. My last renewal I stepped up to the top tier package (includes NFL) and it ended up being $90+ taxes for an entire year. You do not have to actually cancel, ever. Just call and tell them you want to cancel and they will always ask why, it’s part of their script. As soon as you say “my promo rate is running out and it’s too expensive to keep” they will always offer you the same package. 

Basically, SiriusXM is the anti-Directv. Easy to deal with and always offering great discounts. 

Edited by PetermansRedemption

6 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Not sure what company Mark80 dealt with, but it certainly wasn’t Sirius XM. I’ve been a customer for something like five years now. I’ve gone through 10 renewals in that time. Every one is as easy as the last. Probably takes me 20 minutes on the phone. They always offer me the same deal without any type of fight at all. I pay $28 for 6 months plus taxes. It comes out to around $33. That is most channels (just missing Howard stern and NFL) and streaming is included in all packages now. My last renewal I stepped up to the top tier package (includes NFL) and it ended up being $90+ taxes for an entire year. You do not have to actually cancel, ever. Just call and tell them you want to cancel and they will always ask why, it’s part of their script. As soon as you say “my promo rate is running out and it’s too expensive to keep” they will always offer you the same package. 

Basically, SiriusXM is the anti-Directv. Easy to deal with and always offering great discounts. 

Yeah man, I made the whole thing up.  Got me.

You see, the difference is, you never actually tried to cancel.  Not threaten to cancel to get the deal, actually try to do it.  Better yet, try to tell them you don't your account to auto-renew when the promo period is over and see if they try to bill you and charge you the full rate even when you told them not too.  It's a whole new ball game.  Literally had to interact with them 3 times over the phone, was harassed daily with emails saying i owed them $30 for a month worth of service I did not want and had to threaten to send them to the BBB to get them stop harassing me for said $30 bill.  One time they told me that I didn't even have an active account as its still active in my car.  I said, OK, I guess you can keep giving me free service then.  They somehow lost my account in their system when I carried over my old cars account to my new one.  I also them that the auto-renew clause is not enforceable legally in NYS, they could not care less.  Miraculously, after I did that they credited my account immediately.  It was a giant $h1t show.

As I said before, great service, wish I had it still at a reasonable rate.  But shady business practices when you actually want to cancel.

Edited by Mark80

On 3/9/2020 at 8:02 PM, qwksilver said:

Thanks for any help.

That deal is their rock bottom best. But make sure it includes NFL Channel and Howard Stern. It probably doesn't. That's an extra $3/mo.

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Their call center has been much easier to deal with than they were 4-5 years ago.  Have had XM / SiriusXM for the wife's cars for at least 15 years.  Haven't ever negotiated down to the $5/month, but the $99/yr is our standard.

It used to be at least a 20 minute phone call to renew (or more accurately argue, cancel, & renew).  Now, have a notice pop up the day before the subscription ends and fall them and renew.  The last couple of calls were only ~5 minutes each and not painful.  Absolutely used to HATE making that call, because it was always a cluster.  Now, still don't like it but it hasn't been an ordeal at least.