What would you think of Stefon Diggs and Xavier Rhodes for Cole Beasley, Taron Johnson and a 4th rounder

1 hour ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

We need a #1 WR guy to stretch the field in the worst way possible.

FA Market / Draft

This is a WR rich draft with potential Day 1 starters available all the way into the third round.  However, the FA market is thin with only Amari Cooper and maybe Green (if not franchise tagged) likely available.

That brings me to trade possibilities

Stefon Diggs is unhappy in Minny - has removed all Vikings mentions from twitter and was complaining about targets all year. He also apparently cannot get along with Adam Thielen. He has been mentioned on the internet as a trade candidate forever. However most of the discussion has focused on the Pats as trade partners.

Thielen is a true #1 with great outside skills - but has been forced to go inside a lot to defer to Diggs (especially after the latter complained). While he (Thielen) has done admirably in the slot - his true position is outside.

Why Beasley & Taron Johnson?

Minny is in a horrible horrible cap situation. They will save 5.5 million by trading Diggs. Trading Rhodes saves them an additional 8.1 mill. They will also likely be extending Cousins (to reduce the cap hit), and releasing Livnal Joseph to create some cap space. They want to be competitive and do not want to get rid of all their assets in a firesale. Based on above discussion, Thielen and Minny can benefit a lot from having a guy like Beasley operating underneath. Cole and Taron are signed to very reasonable contracts - together will count less than 6.5 mill for 2020.  Cole has done a great deal for our team.  And Taron has clearly outplayed his contract. Minny also has Holton HIll ready to step into Rodes' shoes. Having Taron and Cole keeps Minny competitive but at about 7.1 million less. 

Why the trade for us? 

As we saw in the Houston playoff game, to take the next step, we need a guy to stretch the field and Diggs is among the best out there. Also, we have Dukle Williams ready to step into Beasley's shoes - already in the Hou playoff game, I think Duke was in for more snaps than Beasley. With a WR rich draft (we are taking at least one WR in the first 3 rounds), we dont really have roster space for both Beasley and Diggs. we can easily absorb the extra salary with our cap situation. We acutely felt Levi Wallace's absence late last season and need depth at CB. And if Rhodes does not work out, we can always cut him.

I am yet to see anyone here or on the net propose a trade for Diggs involving Beasley. So any comments will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Dion Dawkins played more snaps than Duke Williams so guess would make more sense to have him take Beasley's place.  The fact that Beasley and Williams play different positions, didn't stop you from proposing this, so lets go with Dawkins instead!  On top of that I believe his catch completion percentage is better than either Beasley or Williams (1 for 1)

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to What would you think of Stefon Diggs and Xavier Rhodes for Cole Beasley, Taron Johnson and a 4th rounder
4 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

huh? Confused by that post. Are you saying Duke didnt play the slot in 2019? Or are you saying Beasley doesnt play the slot?

O

M

G

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

You and I have different definitions for "entertaining."

to wit, entertaining does not equate to maddening

5 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

If you can get them to throw in McCaffrey and Kupp I’m in 

Meh. Still not cutting it for me. They better be willing to part with Chad Greenway and Matt Birk if we're gonna give up this kind of capital.

Birk still has some gas left in the tank and I'm not sold on Morse. Greenway could easily fill Lorax's role.

Even then...MAYBE. They throw in Jared Allen to fill the edge role and we're in business.

Edited by LSHMEAB

This trade makes zero sense for the Vikings. For one why would they trade Diggs? Two why would they take back Cole Beasley when Thilen is occupying their slot WR position. What are they getting for an elite WR? A solid slot corner, a redundant WR, and a 4th round pick? The Vikings save about the same amount of cap space cutting Rhodes as they would trading him so there is no benefit in taking on Rhodes salary in a trade and while Johnson would be a good get and a 4th round pick is an asset the drop between Diggs and Beasley isn't worth it. 

Don't get me wrong I would easily give up a 2nd round pick and a 5th round pick for Diggs who would instantly fill the need for a WR (although I would still draft a WR in round 3 to get a bit younger at the position and add depth) and easily anchor the WR core for the next 3 seasons as Diggs will be 27 next season. And Digg's contract is easy to get out of after 2 seasons so it isn't a bad contract to take on. 

But I don't see the Vikings dumping Diggs who is in his prime and on a more than fair contract. Let alone dumping him for a mediocre package of players and a mid round pick. 

I’m still looking forward to the first trade scenario thread I enjoy. There may have been a reasonable one somewhere along the line, but I don’t recall it. 

Now, a post about your dream with a unicorn, that might be more likely and entertaining. Who doesn’t love a unicorn? 

Edited by Augie

5 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

FA Market / Draft

I am yet to see anyone here or on the net propose a trade for Diggs involving Beasley. So any comments will be much appreciated. Thanks.

You left out the cost to the Bills of trading for Diggs.  Why is that?  It might be a 1st round pick---why would they ask for less.

Also, Diggs's dead cap cost to the Vikings is 9, 6 and 3 million over the next 3 years.  Beasley is currently getting paid 6 million a year.

Also, why would the Vikings want Beasely instead of Diggs (who is signed for the next 4 seasons)?

16 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m still looking forward to the first trade scenario thread I enjoy. There may have been a reasonable one somewhere along the line, but I don’t recall it. 

Now, a post about your dream with a unicorn, that might be more likely and entertaining. Who doesn’t love a unicorn? 

Sorry, I'm not big on unicorns.

6 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

check out the snap counts from the Hou playoff game. Also, we are drafting another WR in the first three rounds of the 2020 draft - so we should be fine without Beasley.

Snap count aside, he had 4 catches and  2 critical drops in that game. He's not better than Cole, not even close.

7 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

FA Market / Draft

This is a WR rich draft with potential Day 1 starters available all the way into the third round.  However, the FA market is thin with only Amari Cooper and maybe Green (if not franchise tagged) likely available.

That brings me to trade possibilities

Stefon Diggs is unhappy in Minny - has removed all Vikings mentions from twitter and was complaining about targets all year. He also apparently cannot get along with Adam Thielen. He has been mentioned on the internet as a trade candidate forever. However most of the discussion has focused on the Pats as trade partners.

Thielen is a true #1 with great outside skills - but has been forced to go inside a lot to defer to Diggs (especially after the latter complained). While he (Thielen) has done admirably in the slot - his true position is outside.

Why Beasley & Taron Johnson?

Minny is in a horrible horrible cap situation. They will save 5.5 million by trading Diggs. Trading Rhodes saves them an additional 8.1 mill. They will also likely be extending Cousins (to reduce the cap hit), and releasing Livnal Joseph to create some cap space. They want to be competitive and do not want to get rid of all their assets in a firesale. Based on above discussion, Thielen and Minny can benefit a lot from having a guy like Beasley operating underneath. Cole and Taron are signed to very reasonable contracts - together will count less than 6.5 mill for 2020.  Cole has done a great deal for our team.  And Taron has clearly outplayed his contract. Minny also has Holton HIll ready to step into Rodes' shoes. Having Taron and Cole keeps Minny competitive but at about 7.1 million less. 

Why the trade for us? 

As we saw in the Houston playoff game, to take the next step, we need a guy to stretch the field and Diggs is among the best out there. Also, we have Dukle Williams ready to step into Beasley's shoes - already in the Hou playoff game, I think Duke was in for more snaps than Beasley. With a WR rich draft (we are taking at least one WR in the first 3 rounds), we dont really have roster space for both Beasley and Diggs. we can easily absorb the extra salary with our cap situation. We acutely felt Levi Wallace's absence late last season and need depth at CB. And if Rhodes does not work out, we can always cut him.

Let them bite the bullet then sign a guy who fits the bills schemes. Joseph, Griffen, Rhodes, Reiff, etc. They’ll release someone. 

8 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Duke =/= Beasley.

Not Even Close.  Nothing against Duke.  I hope he works his butt off this off season, takes a step, and earns a spot here or elsewhere in the NFL.

But he ain't Beasley.  Totally different type of receiver.  Beasley could juke a snake out of its skin.

7 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

so you want Diggs at X, Duke freaking Williams at Y and Brown i suppose at Z?

super fun count me in.

Anyone ever tell you you're cute when you're sarcastic?

• Haha (+1) 1