Redskins and Tua at pick 2 - Smokescreen or real?

4 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I think it has to be real.   What do they have to gain from the smokescreen?  All a smokecreen does is damage their young qbs confidence and leave them at the exact pick they already had.   If they trade out of the pick for someone who wants a qb, they miss out on Chase Young.  

By saying they are seriously looking at Tua, any team that really wants Tua will potentially need to work with Wash to get the #2 pick to get him.

Also, I think Wash would be stupid not to be seriously looking at Tua.  If you think Tua is a much better QB than Haskins, I think you pull the trigger.  Just think what Ariz would have been like last year w/ Rosen at the helm for another year... :unsure:

6 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

It'd be interesting to see what they could get for Haskins.  More than what Arizona got for Rosen?

I don't believe they'll get a 1st round pick for him

Washington has a pretty decent front 7 on defense. They may look at Young as a luxury that they can live without.  As great as Young is, trading out of pick #2, could give them the draft capital to plug significant holes in the roster (CB, OT, WR ).  I could honestly see them going either way on this.  Having not seen Haskins play much, I may not have the most accurate opinion of him.  I believe Tua will be a better NFL QB but I don't know if he will be that much better than Haskins to justify making another QB pick in the first round.  At the end of the day, I don't really care how Washington fares in all of this.  My hope is that it really messes with Miami and leads them to make a horrendously bad deal to overpay to move up. If all of this proves to be smoke on draft day, Detroit will probably play the same game during their 15 minutes on the clock.

Isn't it nice not to have the Bills caught up in all of this QB draft drama.  We just need Allen to keep getting better.

4 hours ago, mjt328 said:

In 2018, the Cardinals drafted Josh Rosen at #10.  He didn't play well as a rookie.

Then a new coaching staff walked in the door, with the #1 draft pick and no ties to the previous regime's Rosen selection.

With a fantastic pass rusher on the board (Nick Bosa), the Cardinals still decided to take Kyler Murray instead and then trade away Rosen.

In 2019, the Redskins drafted Dwayne Haskins at #15.  He didn't play well as a rookie.

A new coaching staff has walked in the door, with the #2 draft pick and no ties to the previous regime's Haskins selection.

There is a fantastic pass rusher on the board (Chase Young)....

I can't say what the Redskins are thinking.  But there is precedent.  And most people believe Arizona made the correct decision last year.

Because of their draft position, they gain very little from a smokescreen.  They can't claim interest in Tua, but then ALSO shop the pick to needy QB teams wanting to move up.  Everyone knows who is going #1, so it's not like they are trying to get another prospect to fall.

The Cardinals absolutely made the correct decision. Murray is clearly a lot better than Rosen. 

50 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Washington has a pretty decent front 7 on defense. They may look at Young as a luxury that they can live without.  As great as Young is, trading out of pick #2, could give them the draft capital to plug significant holes in the roster (CB, OT, WR ).  I could honestly see them going either way on this.  Having not seen Haskins play much, I may not have the most accurate opinion of him.  I believe Tua will be a better NFL QB but I don't know if he will be that much better than Haskins to justify making another QB pick in the first round.  At the end of the day, I don't really care how Washington fares in all of this.  My hope is that it really messes with Miami and leads them to make a horrendously bad deal to overpay to move up. If all of this proves to be smoke on draft day, Detroit will probably play the same game during their 15 minutes on the clock.

Isn't it nice not to have the Bills caught up in all of this QB draft drama.  We just need Allen to keep getting better.

I was pretty unimpressed with Haskins. Sometimes a team just knows what it has, and is wise enough to abandon a sunk cost. 

9 hours ago, H2o said:

Who knows what the Redskins are thinking? To me this would mean that Snyder has completely backed off from the personnel decisions in Washington, which would be a first in 20+ years. Maybe that was a stipulation Rivera had thrown into his negotiations? I think Detroit would be absolutely ecstatic if this happened and Chase Young fell into their lap. 

I'm not sure why you would think this. If Tua plays well, he will be a top 10 fan favorite in the league or higher, and I'm saying immediately. Have you ever seen him in a press conference? He is like the world's nicest person. Seriously, I have seen his entire career, to include every play he has been in and most interviews. Tua is a brilliant, religious, good natured kid. Trent Dilfer said that he is the smartest young QB he has ever seen. This injury was just so sad, but he is getting the best medical care on earth, and so far/so good.

The Bengals have to take Burrow, an Ohio kid. Period. The Skins would be crazy not to take Tua unless they receive an insane Mike Ditka/Ricky Williams trade offer.

Jmo.

59 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I'm not sure why you would think this. If Tua plays well, he will be a top 10 fan favorite in the league or higher, and I'm saying immediately. Have you ever seen him in a press conference? He is like the world's nicest person. Seriously, I have seen his entire career, to include every play he has been in and most interviews. Tua is a brilliant, religious, good natured kid. Trent Dilfer said that he is the smartest young QB he has ever seen. This injury was just so sad, but he is getting the best medical care on earth, and so far/so good.

The Bengals have to take Burrow, an Ohio kid. Period. The Skins would be crazy not to take Tua unless they receive an insane Mike Ditka/Ricky Williams trade offer.

Jmo.

This has nothing to do with Tua's character. That is not being questioned. The thought of Dan Snyder running the major personnel decisions the last 20+ years is. Dan just drafted Dwayne last year and there is some background to that. If the Skins take another QB at the top of the draft it means Danny boy isn't holding the team hostage anymore and Rivera has been given the reigns. I also think the Lions would be ecstatic to have Chase Young fall into their lap. 

8 hours ago, H2o said:

This has nothing to do with Tua's character. That is not being questioned. The thought of Dan Snyder running the major personnel decisions the last 20+ years is. Dan just drafted Dwayne last year and there is some background to that. If the Skins take another QB at the top of the draft it means Danny boy isn't holding the team hostage anymore and Rivera has been given the reigns. I also think the Lions would be ecstatic to have Chase Young fall into their lap. 

Good point H2o.

My post did omit the fact that imo, Tua will be a far better QB than Dwayne. Again, imo he could make Snyder millions upon millions of dollars.

Edited by Bill from NYC

4 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Good point H2o.

My post did omit the fact that imo, Tua will be a far better QB than Dwayne. Again, imo he could make Snyder millions upon millions of dollars.

I don't think the Redskins can go wrong here to be honest. Either they take Tua - who I expect to be a really good NFL QB or they take Chase Young, who is going to be an elite pass rusher, play Haskins for a year and if Haskins either improves significantly on 2019 in which case - good for them - or if he plays at his 2019 level they will still be in position towards the top of the 2021 draft for Lawrence or Fields. The only way they can screw this up is if Haskins sucks benching him and playing a vet who scrambles them to 6-10 or 7-9. If Haskins is what we saw last year they will win no more than 4 games.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think the Redskins can go wrong here to be honest. Either they take Tua - who I expect to be a really good NFL QB or they take Chase Young, who is going to be an elite pass rusher, play Haskins for a year and if Haskins either improves significantly on 2019 in which case - good for them - or if he plays at his 2019 level they will still be in position towards the top of the 2021 draft for Lawrence or Fields. The only way they can screw this up is if Haskins sucks benching him and playing a vet who scrambles them to 6-10 or 7-9. If Haskins is what we saw last year they will win no more than 4 games.

The Redskins’ third option is to trade the pick for a king’s ransom to a team who wants a QB or Young.  The Redskins are a bad football team and they could walk away with a boatload of picks, without falling out of the top 6.  As good as Young might be, d-line is really their only strength.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

What's the word on his hip?

Medical came back fine i believe.  Not sure on the odds of recurrence - i remember reading Pitta dislocated his hip a few times and it basically ended a promising career. He also has missed time with high ankle sprains that he had surgically repaired so... There's definitely a checkered injury history there. 

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They can definitely go wrong if they pass on Tua and he becomes elite.  The only good news for them if they pass on him is he won’t be going to the NFC East.  

9 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

They can definitely go wrong if they pass on Tua and he becomes elite.  The only good news for them if they pass on him is he won’t be going to the NFC East.  

Unless they are in position to draft Lawrence or Fields next year and they also go on to be elite? And then they have elite rusher and elite QB in consecutive drafts...

Edited by GunnerBill